The Lunacy Fringe

Twenty-Nine

I heard the phone ringing in the house before I reached the porch. My dad answered it as I let the dog back into the kitchen. She ran off to her bowl as if she hadn’t already just eaten, and my dad looked at me as he leaned against the wall with the phone pressed between his head and shoulder.

“It’s for you,” he said. I waddled over to him, and he handed the phone out. I figured it was Billie since she was the only person who ever called me. He left me, and I leaned against the wall for support.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Ruby. It’s Randy.” Then I gasped. With everything that had happened—I’d completely forgotten to call him.

“Oh my gosh! Randy! I’m so sorry I haven’t called you!”

“Yeah, I was kind of wondering what happened. Where have you been?”

“I was in the hospital, and I just sort of lost track of time. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s alright. Why were you in the hospital?”

“I was in a car accident.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m better. I had some stitches, my arm is still in a cast, and my ribs were fractured. Which did something pretty nasty to my lungs, but I’m okay.”

“Holy crap. Are you sure?”

“Oh yeah. I’ll be okay. I really am sorry for not calling, though. There’s just been so much happening. Trying to get to know my brother and family and all that. It’s just been kind of crazy.”

“Don’t worry about it. I understand.” The light in the backyard shut off, and I was thrown into darkness. It brought my mind right back to Felix. Since it was, technically, his backlight that had turned off.

“And I, um—I sort of—met someone,” I said, smacking my head against the doorframe.

“I figured you would,” he replied. He didn’t seem upset.

“Do you hate me?”

“No, I don’t hate you. I knew it would happen. We couldn’t have worked it out, being this far from each other. Neither of us can afford to visit. Or the phone bills. Letters just aren’t the same.”

“I really did want it to work out, though.”

“I know. Me too. I guess things just don’t always go the way we expect them to. But tell me about him. What’s his name?”

“Oh, you don’t have to ask me that. It’s okay.”

“No, seriously. He’s a California dude. Does he surf? Does he have a tan? Does he dance on the beach?” I laughed again.

“He does have a tan, but I don’t think he surfs. At least he’s never mentioned it. And I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be caught dead dancing on the beach. And we’re not dating or anything. He’s just my friend.”

“For now, anyway. What’s his name?”

“Felix.” I was glad he wasn’t yelling at me. Or crying.

“Felix? As in the cat?” he asked. I nearly snorted.

“Yes, as in the cat.”

“That’s cool. I’m happy for you, Ruby.”

“I’m sorry for not telling you sooner.”

“It’s okay,” he repeated with a sigh. I forgot how late it must be for him. “I’ve sort of met someone too. Well, not actually met them. I already knew her.” I smiled then.

“Who?”

“You remember Sarah from fourth-period math?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“I sort of asked her to prom.”

“Oh, that’s great. She’s always had a thing for you.”

“I’m sorry too. For not calling sooner.”

“No, no. It’s fine. Don’t apologize.”

“We can still be friends, right?”

“Of course. You have my number. I want to hear all about prom with Sarah.”

“Good, and I want to hear all about this Felix the Cat guy.” I laughed again.

“I’ll try to keep you updated. But I’m going to have to cut this short because I’m standing in the kitchen, and it’s really uncomfortable. So I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“Alright. Bye, Ruby.”

“Bye.”

I hung up and smiled to myself as I returned to my room. I still felt kind of guilty about forgetting the boy I used to be crazy for, but it had been short-lived. And I was grateful he didn’t hate me for ditching him the moment I met someone else. At least I no longer had to carry the guilt of having a boyfriend on top of everything else.