The Lunacy Fringe

Thirty-Five

Felix and I didn’t walk much farther. The park was just a few blocks away, and it was small and almost hidden behind numerous trees. There was water running somewhere off and horses on the other side of a fence. There were no swings, playground equipment, or anything like that—just the trail with some benches and friendly horses. So we sat down on a bench, and Felix wrapped his arm around my shoulder. My arms were bare, and I didn’t have a jacket. The more humid the air was during the day, the colder it was at night. But I made no complaints as I settled in against his chest, listening to the way his voice rumbled in his chest when he talked.

But the progressively colder air was the reason we left when we did. I would have stayed out there for hours if I could have. But it was freezing, and even Felix got cold. So he took my hand, and we walked all the way back to my house.

Sure enough, Quinn’s car was parked out front. Felix kissed me one last time by the wilting jasmines. Then I headed up the driveway to face the wrath of my father and my brother.

“Where have you been?” my dad asked the moment I stepped inside.

“Walking,” I explained.

“Where? With who?”

“I’m guessing you already know who. And we didn’t go very far. We were just at that park by the horses.”

“What were you guys doing?”

“Talking mostly. When we weren’t talking, we were walking. Which is what we did the most of.”

“Quinn says this boy is dangerous.”

“Since when did we start calling him ‘this boy?’”

“Since he started taking off with my daughter in the middle of the night.”

“We weren’t doing anything wrong. Quinn flipped out because we were dancing. So we left so we could talk to each other without him acting like an asshole. I’m sorry we left, but we would have stayed if Quinn could mind his own business.”

“Ruby,” he started.

“They were dancing closely,” Quinn added before my dad could get another word in. I turned my attention to him, full to the brim with rage.

“Oh, God forbid people touch each other while they’re dancing! It’s not like he had his hands on my ass! You’re only mad because he’s your best friend!”

“Not anymore, he isn’t.”

“Why? Because he likes me? Because you think you can decide what either of us does?”

“Sisters are off-limits. He knows that.”

“Does he?” I snapped. “Because I haven’t been here very long, and the only other sister you have is a toddler. He doesn’t have any sisters, as far as I know. So I’m guessing this isn’t a conversation you’ve had to have before now!”

“It is a conversation we’ve had! The first time I ever noticed the stupid twit flirting with you! He’s going to hurt you, Ruby! That’s what he does! He’s going to make you feel like the queen of the universe, and then, poof, it’ll be over. Just like that. And you’re going to hate him, and I’m gonna have to hate him too!”

“It’s still not up to you! I’ve already taken that into consideration, okay? I know it’s probably not going to last, but it’s still my business and not yours. I know how to decide for myself, and I know it’s a possibility. But if it happens and I get hurt, it’s not on anyone else but him and me. I won’t ask you to hate him. I won’t expect you to be on my side. But I’m allowed to make that choice whether you like it or not!” I turned and stomped up the stairs.

“Ruby,” my dad repeated. But I slammed my bedroom door shut and went right to the phone on my desk to call Billie. She was always the one to answer the phone. In fact, I’d never actually spoken to her parents over the phone.

“Hi, Bill. It’s me,” I told her when she answered.

“About freaking time. What happened?”

“We just walked to the park, and then we went home, and Quinn and my dad ambushed me. Quinn told on me, and now they’re both mad. Quinn’s being a jackass about it.”

“I know. I could kind of tell when he took me home.” I stretched the cord across my room to sit down on my bed. Then I sighed.

“I really like him, you know? Which just makes me even angrier,” I told her.

“I know you do.”

“Everyone seems so sure that it’s not going to work out.”

“I don’t know how it’s going to happen. I just know that he really likes you too.”

“He told me that Quinn is his best friend, and he wouldn’t risk it if he didn’t think it was worth it.”

“He said that?”

“Yeah.”

“Wow. Maybe he really is in love with you.” I shook my head and almost laughed.

“No, but—it’d be nice if he liked me as much as I like him.”

“Yeah—I think he does.”

“I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want to drive a rift between anyone.”

“Well, if you don’t go out with him, you’ll spend a lot of time—if not forever—thinking about what would have happened if you did. He’s going to be around a lot, so it’s not like this crush will fizzle out. You like him, and he likes you, and apparently, the attraction is pretty sizzling hot, right? So you gotta at least try. At least if things don’t work out, the crush will go away, and you won’t be like pining for him ten years from now, you know?” I laid back on my bed and looked up at the star stickers on my ceiling. She was making a lot of sense.

“You’re probably right,” I agreed.

“So, are you guys gonna go out again?”

“If he asks me. Depends on whether or not he thinks this is worth it either. Quinn’s being a real dick about it. He might just give up.” She laughed sarcastically.

“If there’s one thing you need to know about Felix Kanellis, it’s that he never gives up. As long as you want each other—he’s going to think you’re worth fighting for.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alicia Alarcon is super rad and wrote a super rad review.