The Lunacy Fringe

Sixty-Six

The next morning, I woke wrapped in Felix's arms. The sun was coming in through the sliding glass doors. The pool reflected on the walls, covering everything in a hazy, shimmering glow. I buried my face in his chest, and he moved.

"Hmm," he said. "I love waking up next to you like this."

"Ditto."

"The only problem is I planned to have you home before your dad gets home for lunch. And if we don't leave soon, we'll be late."

"That's unfortunate. Because I never want to move." He took a deep breath but didn't move.

"You're making it very difficult to get out of bed."

"I could make it even more difficult."

"I have no doubt in my mind that you could."

I trailed my lips over his skin, and he took a sharp breath. His fingers moved into my hair, and when I lifted my head to look at him, his eyes were the brightest, most vivid shade of seafoam green I'd ever seen. I kissed his skin, finding my way to his lips. His hands moved down to my hips, and I slowly moved to climb onto him.

And then someone knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" he asked, hands and eyes still roaming.

"You guys ready to leave yet?" his friend called to us.

"No."

"Well, my parents will be home in like an hour, and I still need to clean up. So hurry the fuck up." Felix dropped his hands and shut his eyes in defeat. I leaned forward to run my fingers through his hair.

"We better get out of here," I whispered. He nodded reluctantly.

"Yeah, alright." We got out of bed and found our clothes. "Fucking cockblocker," he muttered while he got dressed.

Once we were dressed and had cleaned up the room, we headed back downstairs to say goodbye. There were still a few stragglers left over from the party. His friend seemed to be trying to get people to leave. But some were just hanging out in the kitchen. One of them was the girl from the night before. Felix had both our bags over his shoulder but his hand in mine.

"Have a good night?" his friend asked with a nod. He was making breakfast and looked like he knew damn well what we did in his guest bedroom. Felix laughed.

"Had a great night. Would have had a great morning too, if you weren't so pushy to get us out," he replied. The guy just laughed. I didn't know these people, and Felix said Quinn never talked to them anymore, so I wasn't worried about it getting out. Besides—I kind of liked the way the girl rolled her eyes.

"Sorry to kick you out. My parents knew I was having people over. But they didn't know I was throwing a rager, you know what I mean?"

"It's fine. We gotta get back on the road anyway." He let go of me to do a complicated handshake. "It was good seeing you again, man. Thanks for letting us crash here."

"No problem. You guys should come back in the summer when the beach is nice."

"For sure."

After we said goodbye, we headed out through the living room. But the bags were really heavy, so Felix stopped to trade them off. Since mine was the heaviest, he decided to take it and handed his off to me. It wasn't a problem, but I appreciated his attempt at being a gentleman.

"Do you really think he's been with her for seven months?" I heard the girl ask from the other room. Felix's eyes met mine as we exchanged bags.

"They went to prom together. So I'm assuming," his friend explained.

"Just seems a little out of character for him."

"You base his character off of what Tara told you. And Tara doesn't know shit."

"She knew him well enough."

"Like two years ago. And only after he got sick of her sleeping around and ditched her. I don't think that counts."

"She wasn't…."

"You're not fooling anyone. He knows. He's not stupid." I got the bag on my shoulder, and Felix's eyebrows rose.

"We should get out of here," he whispered. I nodded slowly.

"Is it weird that I'm kind of invested? This feels like revenge I didn't even know I wanted." He just snorted and pulled me toward the door.

We drove back home and said goodbye out front before my dad could come home and catch us. And then, unfortunately, it was the last time we really got to be alone together during winter break.
♠ ♠ ♠
Friendly reminder that this story is very long and follows these characters for a very long time. I wrote it with no real plot in mind other than to follow their lives until the curse leaves Ruby. The only real main plot is the ups and downs of Ruby's relationship with Felix. I like to imagine it was written kinda like a TV show rather than a book with a gradual climax.