The Lunacy Fringe

Eighty

Image

Claire warned that Felix and I would probably get sick of each other, which worried me sometimes. We spent most of our time together and didn’t seem bored yet. I fell in love, quick and hard, and spent the last half of senior year floating on air.

The day before spring break, Billie, Felix, and I went out onto the front steps to wait for Quinn. Felix and Billie talked when we sat down, and I didn’t want to interrupt their conversation. So I sat in front of Felix and leaned back into him while they talked about our plans for the weekend. We were going to the beach for a few days, but I wasn’t really paying attention. Felix was playing with my hair, and the sun was warm. I rested my head on his thigh and thought I could fall asleep there.

But then the conversation came to a sudden halt. I opened my eyes to find his ex-girlfriend standing before us. She had her arms crossed and was scowling. As if she had any reason to. I immediately shot to attention.

“You’re not going to bite me again, are you?” I asked. She glared.

“No. My parents—are forcing me to apologize,” she said. She was obviously annoyed by this. She tossed her sleek dark hair over her shoulder as if this was just an inconvenience.

“It’s not really an apology if you’re admitting you’re being forced to do it.” She sighed in frustration and rolled her eyes.

“Can you just get your dad to back off? My parents can’t afford to deal with this right now.”

“Neither can mine. Maybe you’ll think about that the next time you get a craving for human flesh.”

“Whatever.” She turned and stalked off.

Felix went back to playing with my hair, and I felt his body relax. I wasn’t sleepy anymore. She always made me anxious. Thankfully Quinn appeared a moment later.

“What’s up, bitches?” he said. “Ready to go?”

We followed him to his car and then to Billie’s house so she could get her things and say goodbye to her parents. We had them fully convinced that it was just us girls for the trip. For as controlling as they were, they were also kind of naïve. I stayed with her while she got her stuff from her room, and the boys stayed in the hot car on the street. Then we headed to Quinn’s for him to get his things and finally home. Felix left to go next door with Quinn, and Billie followed me into the house.

“What swimsuit are you bringing?” she asked. She plopped down in my chair while I went to find my duffel bag.

“This one,” I told her. I held it up and showed it off. She gasped.

That is so cute! You’re so lucky you’re allowed to wear two pieces. I swear, my mom thinks I’m seven. Where’d you get that?”

“I got it at this store Crystal took me to. You should totally get one. Your mom doesn’t have to know. You’re eighteen now.”

“Try telling her that. But maybe this summer I can get one while we’re free from school. I’ll just get a different color.” I shoved it into my bag.

“Oh, and look what else I got.” I pulled out the little dress/cover-up to go with it. It was sheer and pretty, and I knew she’d be excited about it. But it got caught on something in my bag and then sent my case of birth control pills clattering to the floor. Her eyes went wide as I reached down to snatch them.

“Ruby,” she started.

“What? Don’t make a big deal out of it.” She stood up and went to shut my bedroom door just in case Quinn came back.

“You didn’t tell me you were on the pill,” she whispered. Like this was some big shameful secret.

“Of course, I’m on the pill. My mother is a pharmacist. Besides, you already knew we had sex.”

“I knew you HAD sex, not that you’re continuing to have sex.”

“It really wasn’t a one-time thing, Bill. It’s been pretty regular. Besides—why do you think I needed you to cover for me the other day?”

“Does he know?”

“No,” I admitted. I’d never actually told him. It wasn’t a secret. Just that it didn’t come up.

“Good. You should keep it that way.”

“Why?”

“When a guy knows you’re on the pill, he’ll want to do it without protection, and that’s always a mistake.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Your mom’s a pharmacist, but my mom’s a nurse. Just make sure he doesn’t find out.”

“Billie—I don’t think that’s how it works. And I don’t think Felix will pressure me into not using condoms. He’s actually very—considerate.”

“Gross.” I shrugged.

“Well, I don’t know how else to explain it! But I don’t care if he finds out. Just not Quinn.”

“Oh, I won’t tell Quinn.”

“Good. Now can we stop acting like I have a dirty secret?”

“Of course.” I finished shoving everything into my bag. “Nothing else is going to pop out and surprise me, is it?”

“Nothing I’d bring on a trip.” I grinned. She just groaned and followed me out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the sudden break! I've actually just been spending most of this time working on this rewrite. I got pretty far ahead and I'm really excited about what's to come because it went in a slightly different direction than I expected. And I just love when you get that feeling where you need to get it out.

However, I noticed I do still have a very bad problem of leaving out environmental details. When I go back and read the first ten chapters, I'm blown away by how much detail and how vibrant everything is. And then I read my newer chapters and Ruby just doesn't really describe things anymore.

So it's been a struggle of trying to force myself to do that without losing that fire. I've been going back and forth between newer chapters and older ones just to add some omph while I'm pushing through it. Not really any major differences. Just a few references here and there of something that comes up much much later and spending a bit of time to describe what she's actually seeing. Instead of just focusing on dialogue. Not important to read if you've gotten this far and it's still a work in progress.

Also, I finally got around to drawing Ruby. I've loved these characters for years but I think I've always just been so intimidated by the time period and how very particular I want them to look, that I've just never given it a shot. I may draw Billie and Quinn in the future but I'm still on the fence about Felix because he has to be PERFECT.

Anyway, I have my art on a bunch of other sites. I won't list them all because I don't want to be lame, but you're welcome to comment or send me a message if you'd like to see more. I actually work for a library but since quarantine has started, art has become my full-time job!

Except that I go back to work next week and I'm not looking forward to it! But thankfully, I'll only be in the building 2 days a week for 5 hours a day and we will only be open 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. So I will still be doing a lot of these art projects from home and should still have the time to update now that my son will be out of school for the summer. Still don't think we're ready to open but a girl's gotta eat!