The Lunacy Fringe

Eighty-Three

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain splashing off the gutters and beating against the windows. I didn't know how early it was or how much longer it would be until the sun came up. Quinn and Billie were both out cold on the bed. I could make out the shape of Quinn in the dark, mouth open, drooling on his pillow. Felix was on the other side of me, arm stretched out to touch me even though we were in separate sleeping bags.

I got up and went to my duffle to find my jeans. Then I slipped them on and stepped outside into the rain. Or at least under the awning of the patio. There were metal chairs and a swing bench. So I hugged my arms to myself and took a seat on the bench. The rain splattered against the concrete, close enough to splash little droplets on my bare feet as I rocked myself back and forth. Even though it was so early in the morning, the city's light reflected on the low-lying clouds, making it bright enough to see. It felt peaceful and calm. Not an angry storm. Just a gentle spring shower that shook the neighbor's flower boxes and pattered off the metal awning.

Then the door popped open, and Felix looked out at me with a sleepy face.

"Jesus—there you are," he said, sounding relieved. "What are you doing out here in the rain?" I shrugged.

"Couldn't sleep." He nodded slowly.

"You mind if I join you?"

"Not at all."

I moved over and patted the bench. He had a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. So he sat next to me and covered us both. I laid back against his chest and let him take over the work of rocking the swing. It was warm and safe with him there. I decided that when I was older and had my own place, I would get a swing just like this. And I hoped, as stupid as it sounded from someone so young, that Felix would be there with me. We could have more rainy mornings like this.

We stayed there until the rain slowed into nothing more than a gentle mist, and the sky began to lighten in the east. Finally, we heard movement and voices inside the house. And then Quinn poked his head out.

"What the hell are you two nerds doing out here?" he asked.

"Enjoying the rain. Don't be such a dick," Felix quipped.

"How boringly romantic of you." He pretended to gag himself.

"Fuck off."

"Suck my dick." The door closed, and I sighed.

"That was beautiful and touching," I remarked.

"It's how we say we love each other." I pinched his ribs, making him jerk and laugh.

"You're a dork."

"I'm also starving. Do you want pancakes?"

"That sounds amazing."

"Fuck yeah."

We headed back inside, and I went to find Billie. Felix and Quinn took over the kitchen, so we folded up the couch bed and plopped down to watch them. She turned to me and smiled.

"You're in love," she whispered. I nodded.

"Is it that obvious?"

"You remember in Bambi when the whole forest got all twitterpated?" I laughed.

"I'm definitely twitterpated."

I leaned my arm against the back of the couch to watch the boys in the kitchen.

"That's not how you make a fucking pancake, you asshole," Felix was telling Quinn.

"Then make it yourself, fuckwad."

"That's what I was trying to do. Get out of my way."

"Can I tell you something?" Billie asked, watching them like they were a comedy special on TV.

"Hmm?"

"He is too."

"Who?"

"Felix. He's twitterpated too."

"How can you tell?"

"Well, he told you. Didn't he?"

"Once or twice."

"Well, I can promise it's not something he says a lot. Actually—I don't think he's ever said it before. Not even to Tara, and we all thought he was pretty in over his head about her."

"I don't like her. Never met her, but I don't like her." She waved her hand like this was old news.

"I did meet her, and I hated her. She was so rude to him. I never could figure out what he liked about her. Maybe her tits." I made a pointed look at my own chest, and she laughed. "Yeah, but he genuinely loves you." I sunk deeper into the couch.

"I sure hope so."