Status: Updating every Sunday

It's Gonna Be My Year

The Thing You Can't Change is Change

When I woke up next it was to a doctor coming into the room. Jack and my parents were still there as he told me I had to stay overnight for observation, since I 'had a very serious head injury, young man'. Ugh I hate doctors. And hospitals. And siblings. I really hated my sibling.

I told Jack and my parents to go home and get some rest because I'd only be sleeping and they'd only be bored. They all reluctantly agreed and went home. Meanwhile I was stuck with Mr Filtets and when the nurses came in to give him his pills he swallowed it with water and said "Yuck, what is this?" And when the nurse answered water, well, it was really fucking hilarious.

I tried so hard not to laugh out loud I'm pretty sure my face was red. I fell asleep pretty quickly after that because the nurses had come to give me my pain medication too, so I was feelin' extra drowsy.

When I woke up the next morning, Mom was in my hospital room, unpacking my clothes from a duffel bag.

"Hey Mom," I said groggily. She jumped a bit, obviously not expecting me to be awake. She soon recovered from her fright though.

"Hey honey, how do you feel? Ready to go home?" She asked with a soothing tone.

"I feel pretty good actually, very well rested."

"Ok, well I've already signed your discharge papers so we just have to get you up and dressed," She said cheerily, handing me my clothes. How was my Mom always so upbeat? It looked exhausting. She left the 'room' (a bed surrounded by curtains) for me to get dressed. It took me a while longer than it usually would, considering I had a broken wrist but I finished in under five minutes.

I was wondering what had happened to Tom, so when Mom came back I asked.

"Uh, Mom, where is Tom at the moment?" I asked cautiously. I didn't really know what I wanted the answer to be.

"He is at home, packing. He's going to be moving to London to live with your aunt, hopefully that will straighten him out."

"Is anyone with him?" I asked as we started to walk out of my room. I wouldn't put it past him to wreck the house if no one was there. He was super fucking immature like that.

"Just your father, don't worry he won't look through your room or anything like that," Mom said. And I hadn't even thought of that and now it's become an issue too. I hated people in my room, let alone people I extremely disliked being in there.

I couldn't say I hated my brother because I really didn't. He'd been a real fucking dick but he used to be loving and kind and I had aspired to be like him. He was the one who had originally taught me to fight and stick up for myself and what I believed in. He was the one who taught me to not just hit people for fun or just because i could. I guess people changed.

We were in the carpark now and I realised Mom hadn't mentioned Jack at all. How I'd missed that I didn't know so I decided to just blame it on the drugs.

"Mom, where's Jack?" I asked, worry evident in my voice. Mom smiled cheekily, which means she knows something i didn't. She tried to hide it by bending down a little to open the car doors but I still saw it.

"He's at the school," She said as she got into the car. I quickly followed so I could check the time on the clock.

"But, it's 8:30, what's he doing at school?" I asked, super fucking confused.

"He's collecting your stuff," She said, smile still on her face. It was getting smugger by the minute.

"Why would Jack be collecting our stuff?" I asked, still really confused. I was going into school tomorrow and I had thought Jack would be going in today. I mean we had a week left, it's not like it would be too difficult.

"Because all your teachers gave you some work to do while we go on our family car trip early."

It took a minute for it to finally sink in.

"OH MY GOD REALLY?! THAT'S SO AWESOME!" I basically screamed out. I was getting excited for this trip, mainly because now Tom was gone it was only really Dad I had issues with and they seemed pretty minor when faced with a three week road trip with your boyfriend, I don't know why I just really loved road trips and I knew I wanted to travel for my work one day.

"When do we leave?" I asked, calmer this time. I knew we still had to get to caravan from a storage shed but then i thought about it and realised there were only 2 double beds in the caravan. Jack and I got to share a bed! Oh this was going to be the best road trip ever!

"As soon as you get packed."

When we got home, Tom was just leaving. He saw me get out of the car and seemed shocked. I hadn't looked in the mirror yet but I guessed I looked pretty bad. He looked OK actually and that just pissed me off. He had a bruised eye and nose but that was it, and by the looks of it he hadn't gone to hospital so that fucking sucked.

Jack had just come around the corner and was only a few houses from ours. He had his earphones in and was looking down at the ground so he didn't realise either Tom or I were outside. He finally looked up a house away from ours and took out his earphones. He froze when he saw Tom but kept moving a second later when he saw me. Shit, if that didn't want to make me beat my brother all over again.

Unfortunately Tom was between Jack and I and when I moved to remedy the fact Mom grabbed my arm. She must have thought I was going to try and fight him again. Jack just kept walking, determined not to show his fear. I was probably the only one who could tell to be honest so he was doing quite well. Doesn't mean I wasn't pissed at the fact that he had something to be scared about.

I mean, I had taken him to our house so he'd be safe from all this bullshit and I just brought him into it.

Just as Jack had been about to step past Tom he got in the way, I quickly shrugged Mom off and starting walking up to them.

"Faggot," Tom spat as he literally spat at Jack's feet. Oh that motherfucker was going down. But then Jack did something that surprised me.

"Not my fault you wanted to fuck me," He said maliciously as he placed his foot behind Tom's ankle and pushed his shoulders down as he pulled with his foot. I stood still in shock as Tom fell down and Jack strode around him, confidence surrounding him like an aura.

I couldn't be prouder of him. He'd finally stood up for himself. After years of physical and mental abuse from those who surrounded him he'd finally stood up for himself. And I had to say, him taking someone down like that was just a little hot.

When Jack finally made it to me I threw my arms around his neck. I heard a car start and glanced over to see Tom's car backing out of the driveway. Finally, he was gone. And I didn't want to see him for a long, long time.

"Alex, stop hugging your boyfriend and get your bag packed. The sooner you finish the sooner we leave," Mom yelled fondly.

I let go of Jack and grabbed onto his hand instead, running inside like a madman because I really, really couldn't wait to go on this trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. I'm so sorry this is late and I hope you enjoy it anyway. Don't worry all the violence will stop now and we will see the beautiful relationship that is Jalex unfolding.