Status: Updating every Sunday

It's Gonna Be My Year

Don't Leave Me

This chapter mentions emotional abuse so if you don't like that or are triggered by it please don't read.

When I got to homeroom the next day I didn't see Jack straight away, but I wasn't too concerned as I was quite early to class. I walked up the back and sat next to Rian, waiting for Jack to come in. The bell rang and Jack stumbled in. I couldn't hear anything he was saying to the teacher so I didn't know why he was late. The teacher must have accepted his excuse because next thing I know she's starting the lesson and telling everyone to be quiet and sit down. Jack didn't even look at me. Oh god, this was going to be a looong lesson.

I couldn't tell you anything the teacher had said that whole time as I was just extremely focused on Jack. This small crush was turning into a serious thing. I was really starting to fall for Jack, and that was a scary thing. Jack didn't turn around to face me at all. I was wondering if I had done something to upset him. God I hope not, I couldn't stand it if I had done something to make him angry.

I was on the way to my next class, History, and apparently Jack had this class too. I was just closely following him, not wanting to talk to him, just to make sure I didn't make things worse. I watched as Jack walked past jocks and no one seemed to bother him, not even yelling out anything remotely derogatory. I was so glad, at least I got to help him with something in his life.

We made it to class unscathed somehow and there wasn't a specific seating plan so I sat next to Jack, wanting to talk to him and just make sure he was ok. He still hadn't even looked at me, even though I was sitting right next to him.

We had a substitute teacher who was really lazy and told us we could have a "study period" if we were quiet. I turned to talk to Jack but he was actually studying. In a fucking free period. I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned is face up to me, but looked past me, as if he wasn't paying attention at all.

"Jack look at me," I said pleadingly. He flinched but did as I asked. I don't know why he flinched, I hadn't even moved. His eyes were so sad today. I hated how sad he always was.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He didn't answer, just turned his gaze to stare at the door instead. What's so fucking interesting about a shitty door?

"Seriously Jack, I'm worried about you. Why do you look so upset?" I tried the whole puppy eyes thing and I don't know if it was that or the obvious desperation in my voice but he answered.

"Nothing Alex. I'm fine." Ok, maybe not in the way I wanted but it's a start right?

"Please tell me? Whatever it is I won't laugh or ridicule you. I just want to be your friend Jack." I was basically begging him to tell me now. I didn't think I could lose Jack. I was already developing a hard core crush on him and I don't think I'd want him to leave just yet. I mean we had only known each other for a day but I could already tell we were going to be great friends.

"I'm just scared you're going to leave me..." Oh Jack.

"Jack I'm not going to leave you. Ever."

"I try to tell myself but he told me you would leave like all the rest and-"

"He? Who's he?"

"My uh, my d-dad." Oh, that is where the trust issues come from then. I leaned forward to give him a hug, not caring that we were in a classroom full of people, all I wanted was to give my Jacky some comfort. 'Ok Jacky, Alex? Really?' I asked myself. I just told myself to shut up and let me enjoy the moment.

I whispered in his ear, "I will always be here for you Jack. No matter what ok? You have to believe that I will never leave. I'm here to stay, you're stuck with me for as long as you want me."

Ok I may have been getting a little lovey dovey, but another to help Jack feel better right?

"Thank you Alex, no one has ever said anything like that to me," he whispered back. He starting to pull back and so did I, even though I knew that if I could stay in his arms forever, then I'd be happy.

The bell for lunch rang and Jack and I walked to the cafeteria, towards our table with Rian. When Jack sat down next to me he turned and smiled and I knew I had made it better, at least for now. What could I do that would be long term though? And what was happening with his dad?

A WEEK LATER

Jack was starting to open up to me more since that day we talked about his dad. We were sitting in history again and still had the same substitute teacher who kept giving us "study periods." I figured out he was just using these periods to read magazines. What the fuck? I better not fail high school because this motherfucker couldn't be bothered teaching us anything. In the meantime though I just gladly took the free time because it gave me time to talk to Jack.

"Hey Jack?" I wasn't sure how he would receive my next question but I hoped he wouldn't get angry at me for the rest of the day or something, especially since he's coming over to my house after school again today.

"Mm?" he mumbled back. Oh poor thing, he's tired.

"Uh, why did your Dad say those things about me? I mean he doesn't know me..." I trailed off as Jack had sat up straight and had a panicky look on his face.

"Uh, no reason I guess."

I stood up and walked to the teacher, Jack looked really upset and betrayed for some reason. Oh shit, he must think I'm leaving him or something. I quickly told the teacher Jack was feeling sick and that we were leaving for a while. He just waved his hand at the door, not looking up from his magazine.

I walked back to Jack and told him to collect his stuff as I picked up my bag. I nodded with my head towards the door and started walking out. He followed me without question because the curiosity was killing him. I took his hand in the corridor and it just felt right. I got pleasant tingles all the way up my arm, and a warmth radiating from the centre of my palm where our hands were connected the most. I led him to the abandoned bathroom where we'd first become friends and locked the door behind us once again.

Jack looked really scared when I turned back and I realised it was because I had locked the door. So he thought I was going to hurt him or something. I had to admit that hurt a little, but I guess we had only known each for about two weeks, and Jack had some serious trust issues. Two fucking weeks and I was already falling. Damn you and all your perfectness Jack.

I shrugged off my bag and opened my arms for a hug. He hesitantly dropped his bag next to mine and started to shuffle forward. I smiled at him and that seemed to seal the deal. He ran into my arms and squeezed me tight around the neck. He wasn't crying at least so that was a start.

"Jack, what's the deal with your dad?"

I didn't think he'd say anything but he did, he told me everything. He told me how his mum had left when he was 8 and that his older brother had moved out already and his older sister went with him. Apparently he hadn't heard from them since they left even though the promised to call him every week. He was left with his father who turned to alcohol to solve his problems of his family abandoning him. Jack practically had to raise himself. When Jack turned 12 he had started realising he liked guys too, so he told his best friend at the time. His best friend was Kyle and Kyle's family were extremely homophobic. That's when the bullying started.

Of course Jack was really upset when all his friends left him because he had a "disease." When Jack turned 13 he figured out he was bi and wanted to tell his dad for he was sure that his dad would know exactly the right words to say, the way a dad should. His dad hadn't talked to him properly since his 9th birthday so Jack had thought that it was his chance to mend the gap. He was wrong. When he told his dad he liked guys he didn't just ignore him anymore. He started verbally abusing him, calling him names such as faggot and fairy. He had only hit his son once, and Jack thought it was his own fault, after all he was too dumb and he was the one that failed English.

From then on Jack had retreated into himself, just studying and making sure to never get another B- again. And his dad went back to ignoring him unless he was really, really drunk. Then, he met me. Apparently I was his life raft and he was starting to feel happier each day. I was so happy to hear that even after everything Jack had gone through, he still had enough hope and trust to tell me about his life and let me in. We were still hugging and hadn't stopped or moved except to slide down the wall to sit down.

"I will always be here for you Jack. I will never leave you. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, but your life will get better. I guarantee it."

Jack sniffled into my shoulder and just whispered a quiet "Thank you Alex."

I knew now though that because Jack had opened up to me I would have to open up to him.

"Jack, I think I should tell you about my brother."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys are understanding the characters a little more now. Constructive criticism is welcome!