Status: Oneshot

The Day We Met

The Day We Met

The first time I met Dan in person was the best day of my life. We found each other over the internet; he was a fan of my videos and started emailing me, telling me I’d inspired him to start making videos of his own and including links to his channel. I watched his videos and decided I liked them, and I liked him too. He was pretty cute. I emailed him back and we just got talking. Eventually we were Skyping, texting and calling each other all the time.
After a while, he suggested that we meet in person. We made plans to meet at the Manchester Eye, and I was so nervous.
I arrived at the big Ferris wheel at 11:55, five minutes earlier than we planned, so I sat down on a bench to wait, fidgeting with my shirt and getting more and more anxious as each minute passed. What if he changed his mind? What if he forgot? What if it’s a prank and he never intended on coming in the first place?
But, thankfully, Dan approached me about ten minutes later, and I leapt up to hug him for the first time. I was the nervousest person ever, but it was amazing, he was so warm and he hugged me so tight. He smelt good too. I kind of really liked him by that stage, and I hoped my nerves weren’t showing too much. I bet they were though, he could probably feel me shaking when he hugged me.
“Hey, I’m so excited to finally meet you! I’m sorry I’m late, I had to catch a bus here,” he said. He had this huge goofy smile and he looked even more adorable in real life than he did on a screen. His southern accent sounded even better in real life too.
“That’s okay,” I tried to say, but my voice came out as a squeak. I cleared my throat and tried again. “That’s okay. I-I’m excited to meet you t-too.”
“So, um, did you want to go on the Ferris wheel?” he asked.
“Yeah, sure. Let’s go!” We headed off towards the wheel side-by-side, me still shaking a bit with nerves. Dan was taller than I expected, taller than me, which felt weird since I’m about four years older than him.

When we got into the carriage I realised that it was the first time we’d been alone together in person. That thought made my heart pound so much I was afraid he’d hear it. There were two seats in the carriage opposite each other but Dan had chosen to sit right next to me, which I loved. Our legs were touching and I could feel his warmth through his black skinny jeans.
“Wow, it’s amazing up here! Look at the view!” I exclaimed, looking out of the carriage. The view really was amazing. It was also very romantic up here, although I wasn’t about to say that out loud.
“Haven’t you been on the Manchester Eye before?” Dan asked, looking surprised.
“Nope. I grew up in the north and so this is the first time I’ve been to Manchester, even though we’ve been living in the south for a while.”
“Well I’m glad we chose to come here then. Everyone has to go on the Manchester Eye at some point.”
“Yeah, I’m glad t-too.”
“You sound nervous,” said Dan. “You’re shaking too. Are you scared of heights?”
“Uhh…” I hesitated. I’m not scared of heights, but I can’t tell him the real reason why I’m so nervous to meet him for the first time.
“You should have told me before I suggested this! I wouldn’t have taken you up here if I’d known you didn’t like heights. Come here.” I shifted a bit closer to him and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and squeezed my hand with his free one. My stomach clenched and my heart started pounding like you wouldn’t believe as I wrapped my free arm around his waist and pulled him a bit closer.
By that stage I was so excited and I couldn’t stop thinking how much I wanted to kiss him, and how much I wanted him to like me too. But instead we just chatted for a bit, with our hands still linked and arms around each other. It was amazing how comfortably we could be so close together and just continue talking about nothing, considering today was our first real-life meeting and the first time we’d ever even touched each other.
After a few minutes the conversation died out and we were just left in comfortable silence. At one point I turned my head to look at Dan and caught him watching me. We found ourselves staring into each other’s eyes. He had the most beautiful, chocolate brown eyes I’d ever seen that matched his hair perfectly.
Without thinking, we both found ourselves leaning in ever so slowly, my eyes flicking from his eyes to his lips. Finally, our lips made contact and we both leaned into the kiss. My heart did that flippy-over thing and it had never done that before, so that was nice. I used the arm I had wrapped around his waist to pull him into me and I let go of his hand to rest my hand on his shoulder, as he tangled a hand in my hair and pulled me closer with his arm wrapped around my back.
I’d never been in love and I’d never kissed anyone before either, so this was the most amazing kiss ever. His lips were so soft and he tasted kind of like cherries, and I could feel his heart pounding just as fast as mine was. When he pulled back for breath and looked into my eyes I could tell he felt exactly the same way about me that I felt about him, because I could see all of my own emotions mirrored in his eyes.
He leaned back in and kissed me again after that, and the second time was just as amazing as the first. We were both shocked back into reality though when the carriage jolted and we realised the ride had stopped.
Dan and I hopped out of the carriage with our hands linked and the biggest smiles on our faces, despite the disgusted looks we were getting from the people who had seen us in the carriage. I couldn’t care less at that moment. I was still shaking and my heart was still pounding, but it wasn’t from nerves anymore. I’d just kissed the boy who I’d had a crush on for months and he had kissed me back.
That was the best day of my life, and I still love Dan now just as much as I did back then in that moment when we first kissed.