Status: Completed

Trying to Forget

Finding peace

He grabs his forgotten bottle of Devil's Cut and sees that there are maybe two or three more swigs left. He takes one and feels a calming sensation take over his body. Slowly, he backs away from the mantle, not caring as the shards of glass pierces through his socks and into his feet. He doesn't feel it. He feels numb.

He walks out of the destroyed living room, not minding in the least as he walks over glass, over puddles of various alcohols, and bumps into furniture. None of it bothers him. His mind is set.

He walks from the living room, through the kitchen and to the back door. He carefully opens the door and steps into the cold October night. He can see his breath, but he just takes another swig.

He doesn't feel the cold grass as he walks over it. He doesn't even feel himself moving forward. It's as if his body has a mind of its own and he is just along for the ride.

He reaches the pool that he hadn't bothered winterizing yet. They still had a few weeks before it came time for that.

He pushes the gate open, steps off the grass and onto the concrete border that surrounds the in-ground pool.

He takes a final swig and drops the now empty bottle into the warm, heated water.

He walks to the stairs and takes a step, allowing the water to seep into his socks.

He takes another,

And another,

And another,

And another, until he is submerged in water up to his waist.

He walks slowly in the water, bypassing the bottle at his feet, and to the deep end.

William takes a deep breath and stares at the face reflecting back at him. At first he recognizes Luke's young childish face staring at him in the water. He moves his hand to caress it but the image dissolves and instead, he is staring at his own reflection.

He swipes at it, closes his eyes and allows his entire body to submerge into the inviting water.

William Blackwood welcomes the water's comforting embrace as he relaxes his body. He lets it over take him... he lets it soothe him.

He allows the water to finally bring him peace.