Cursed Cold

12.

Cain's enchantment disappears like a strange sheet uncovering him. His body grows, hair recedes, jaw shrinks, and after all the strange creaking of bones and muscle he is human again. Naked, however. I give him my jacket to cover himself up.

"I remember my real name," he whispers.

The once-called cat named Cain is white-skinned, with dark hair just like his fur and stormy blue eyes. They meet me with undeniable humanness, the kind of innocence and pain, intelligence and naivety, things that only a human can possess. "It's Nicholas," he says softly. "That's my name. Leila... How did you know which of us to choose?"

I smile halfway and get my paper. The pen has been leaking and is almost out of ink, but it still writes. I wasn't going to choose either of you. I was going to run for a weapon and fight both. It just happened to make the real demon angry.

Nicholas laughs weakly. "Well, that's one strategy. I admire your strength."

I'm tired and I sink to the floor. Nicholas pets my hair like I am the cat. It feels nice. I write with energy, though, Are you going to hold up the end of your bargain?

"Of course I am," he says. "But I'm going to get you some real food first. To fight a witch, you need more strength than you have."

Now it's all in your hands.

Nicholas chuckles. "No, it's not," he says. "It's still yours. You'll find out soon enough."
♠ ♠ ♠
End,

Sorry I left with a cliffhanger. I might write a second one, but then again, ehhh....