Cursed Cold

3.

I walk through the bottom floor and then upstairs and down again. The thin hairs on my arms raise with the growing cold. Wind groans through the walls, and after the tour, I go to the living room and lean on the china-white stair-railing that leads to my room. The steps are like piano keys. The cat sits in front of me and looks at the Gothic furniture.

"It is as expected," he announces.

I raise an eyebrow.

Cain swivels his head to look at me. "I can help you," he says. "And you can help me. I am cursed like you, and I know how to lift both our curses. However, in order to free both of us, you must free me first."

I wait.

"All you have to do is kiss me."

I throw back my head and laugh soundlessly. My chest heaves and my abdomen strains with exertion, but only air passes through my lips. After I stop, I am slightly warmer, and Cain watches me. "You do not believe me?" He curls his paws under his chest.

I shake my head.

"You would be surprised," he says.

I go to the kitchen and cover his bowl with some used Saran wrap. He follows me and his tail swishes like a feather duster. "You're not going to take a chance?" he asks.

I shake my head. I tread to the stairs and climb. Cain follows me on light paws.

I am out of breath when I reach the top. I go to the large obsidian wardrobe at the side and open it. I take two pairs of pajamas out and put both of them over the clothes I am wearing. The sky darkens outside and rain patters on the window. The water runs down like streams.

Cain hops onto the bed and watches me. I go and slide the covers open and crawl inside. I have four blankets weighing on me like lead, but I am still chilled.

The cat curls on the pillow next to me and lays his head on his paws. I can feel his warmth even though I am not touching him. "I only have three days from now to convince you," he says.

I trail my eyes up and down his body. He is black from head to toe, even with black whiskers. Only his eyes are colored.

"I'm only asking for a kiss," he says.

I roll over and close my eyes to sleep.