Cursed Cold

6.

I spend the rest of the day playing piano in the ballroom.

My hands glide over the ivory keys playing my favorite songs, Moonlight Sonata, Pastoral Symphony, Toccata and Fugue, all ring out in the massive room. The rain pelts on the roof, but in the midst of the songs it is no more than a metronome to me. I let the music sway my shoulders. I have my eyes closed and the music guides my fingers with hands like mist. Every key struck resonates in my bones. It is my only peace.

After hours of playing, I stop and close the lid of the grand piano. I stroke the smooth, obsidian wood and hold the music in me for as long as I can. The silence still rings with it.

"Very pretty," Cain says from across the room. "Are you finished ignoring me now?"

I glare. Cain sits washing his face in one of the entrances of the ballroom. His voice breaks the music in the air and I can't forgive that. He's not a guest anymore.

I thrust a finger outside and glower pointedly. "You want me out?" he asks.

I nod viciously.

"I can't, Leila," he says. "I don't have time to find another cursed human. You're my only hope."

I storm over to him like a wraith and sweep him into my arms. He yowls in panic and thrashes. It's tiring holding him but I march to the front door and fling it open. Rain comes down in rivulets from the door-frame. I toss him out. Cain lands on his feet and stares into my eyes.

"Why won't you take a chance?" he asks softly.

I slam the door shut.