Cursed Cold

9.

It's still pouring rain. I pound Rondo Alla Turca into existence and the noise peals into the ballroom. My mouth is open and I'm screaming, but air is the only thing that comes out. My lungs strain. My fingers clench and cramp. My feet on the pedals lock up. And eventually, I collapse over the piano keys and cry.

Cain's tail swishes over my legs. "I'm sorry, Leila."

I want to kick him away, but I don't. He rubs his face against me. I allow it and my tears drop onto the piano keys like the rain is outside. I smudge the droplets with my fingers. I'm raining on the inside too.

Then, a loud bong resonates through the house. It's the doorbell. I scrub the tears from my face and straighten my clothes. It's probably the neighbor with some cat toys.

"Wait, Leila," Cain hisses.

I ignore him and walk through the house. The air feels heavy, and my stomach growls, even though I'd eaten already. The dark mansion seeps shadows from the corners and I run my fingers along the wall. The wallpaper feels brittle. I go to the door, unlock it, and open it.

A man stands outside.

The breath whooshes out of me, and my eyes train on his face. The man is smiling, his eyes soft, and his hair just a bit damp from the rain. A light blue umbrella is over his head with a white handle. "Hi, sorry to bother you, miss," he says. "My car broke down outside. Can I stay until I call my brother to pick me up?"

My heart thrashes against my ribcage, but logic overtakes me. It can't be the same man, but... I shake my head to clear the thoughts. He misinterprets it. "Oh, I'm sorry," he says and winces. "I'll try someone else."

I shake my head furiously again. He hesitates, confused. I point inside and wave him in. "Oh, I'm sorry," he says again. "Are you, uh, hard of hearing? Are you inviting me inside?" He makes sure his face is fully in my direction, like I'm deaf.

I nod. It's easier for people to understand that I'm deaf rather than I can't speak. The man closes his umbrella and walks inside. I guide him to the living room where he pulls out his cell phone. It has a vibrant red case, and the iPhone background is a galaxy. I stare in awe as he slides the colorful device into motion. "Huh, I guess there's no service," he says after attempting to dial a number.

Thunder booms and the house rattles. I sit awkwardly in the love-seat next to the couch he's on. The man is wearing a business suit with a purple undershirt, and the bottoms of his pants are rain-soaked. His hair is a deep chocolate brown in wet waves over his forehead. "I'm Jose," he says. His soulful eyes look sincerely in mine.

I take his outstretched hand and shake it. It's warm, and I'm aware mine must feel cold as a corpse. I allow myself to feel frigid inside despite his heat. This man could be a perpetrator.

"So, do you live here by yourself?" he asks conversationally. Lightning flashes outside, and it's mate, thunder, answers later. I nod to him, unaffected. Jose looks perturbed at the storm. "The electricity must be out everywhere," he says. "This place is so huge, it must look beautiful with the lights on."

I fake a smile. It comes naturally, and then Cain slinks into the room. His ears are flat against his head and his whiskers press against his cheeks. "Oh, what a cute cat," Jose says.

Cain hisses. I pick him up and set him on my lap. His claws dig into my dark jeans and his eyes lock into mine. I incline my head a little. Cain must know something I don't.

"Sometimes cats don't like strangers," Jose says pleasantly. "He seems to like you, though."

I nod. I am sweating in the chill, and I mime food and drink to offer him. It takes him a while, but then he understands. "Oh, thank you," he says. "That would be very nice."

I get up and scurry to the kitchen, Cain at my heels. I take a cookie and bite into it. "He's a demon!" Cain growls. "I can see right through him! Cat eyes can see through illusions, Leila, trust me. I bet he's been sent by her-"

I don't listen to him, though, I go to the fridge and find the old letter fridge magnets on it. All the letters are black, and I form them into words. Youre lying, I write. I wish I have an apostrophe magnet.

"Lying!" Cain bristles and arches his back. "I'm trying to save you! You need to get him out of here!"

No

Cain spits and hisses and doesn't know how to respond. I watch him as his hair stands all the way at and end and he looks like a dust bunny that gathers under all the beds in the house.

He hasnt asked me to kiss him yet

"But he will," Cain warns. "Look at him, he's exactly what you told me. Tall, dark and handsome."

I smile at Cain's disarray and form more words. But you have You might be the real demon

"I'm not a demon!" Cain yowls. "I am a human being! I'm cursed! I only have one day left! Midnight tonight seals the curse!"

I grab some cookies and put them on a plate, and then tread back to the living room. Jose is waiting, fiddling on his phone like he's trying to find a signal. I rest the plate on the coffee table in front of him.

"Oh!" He smiles. "Thank you. Did you make these?"

I shake my head. "I see, must be store-bought, then." He takes one and bites into it. Cain skulks by my side again, his tail lashing in the air. I fold my hands in my lap at the love-seat. The fabric is cold.

"I've been plagued by bad luck recently," Jose says. "I think it might be from a locket I bought at an antique store. It was supposed to be good luck, but all I've gotten was accidents." He shrugs.

Cain stares at me. I ignore him. "Do you mind showing me the bathroom?" Jose asks. "I've been in a long car ride."

My hands feel clammy, but I nod and rise. Cain watches me lead him away through the dark walls. Jose looks at the Gothic paintings in awe and reverence. "What a beautiful place," he murmurs.

I show him to the bathroom. "Thank you," he says, and I start to leave. Then, he grabs my wrist.

I gasp and throw up my hand to strike him. "No, don't!" he whispers, panicked. "I wanted to talk to you without the cat."

What? I mouth furiously at him.

He lowers his voice so it's barely audible.

"The cat is a demon."