From the Shadows

Rooftop Abandonment

Teagan sat in the front passenger seat with Glenn in the back and Rick driving. The drive was quiet. It wasn't that nobody wanted to talk, but they weren't sure what to say. Glenn and Rick were relieved that Teagan decided to stay, but she teetered between feeling it was the right choice and feeling it was a huge mistake. They were also worried about Hershel. Maggie had an idea as to his whereabouts, but she wasn't sure. He could be anywhere. He might have left in the opposite direction of the town. Teagan shifted uncomfortably in her seat, hoping that Hershel was safe. The town could be crawling with walkers, and Hershel had clearly shown a disdain for killing them. Please be alive. No more death today.

​​They crept up on the town and came to a halt.

​​“You guys know where the bar is?” grumbled Rick.

​​“I think we passed it last time we were here. It's not too far.” answered Glenn.

​​The three of them gathered their weapons and in a quiet huddle, paced towards the bar. Glenn waited for Teagan's signal like last time, without being given direction. Rick stood back and watched them perform. He was used to taking the lead, but didn't mind the change. Teagan tapped on the door of the bar, and it gave way a bit and opened. She riskily changed plans, and whispered for Hershel.

​​“Hershel? Are you in there?”

​​She listened for signs of life. There was a squeak of movement, like wood against wood. Bar stool? The steps were deliberate, human. No verbal response. Teagan swallowed hard, and walked through the door, weapon raised. A sigh of relief flooded her, seeing Hershel alone, and more importantly, alive. Glenn and Rick followed behind her.

​​“Let's get you home, Hershel. Beth needs you,” said Teagan.

​​“She's already needed me. I left... left 'em all in a hopeful lie.”

​​“We all make mistakes. You can fix this. Maggie and Beth both need their father right now.”

​​“I knew better. I had hopes. Your group tore that from me.” His eyes were angry, fueled by liquor.

​​“No. One man did that. Shane did that. From what I hear, the group tried to stop him.”
Hershel huffed and brought a small glass to his lips, drinking more alcohol.

​​“Hershel, you can't do this. Look, I'm sorry for what happened to you. We've all lost people. Let's not lose anymore...” Teagan voice started off sharp, but ended soft and sincere.

​​Hershel looked up at her with sad eyes, and shook his head. “I robbed them a chance to grieve, to move on.”

​​“They still can. But they need you. You are still alive, and you can help them.”

​​Hershel began to stand up when noises were heard from outside. In seconds, strangers burst into the bar, weapons raised, giving Rick and the group almost no time to respond.

​​“Thought ya'll were walkers. Glad to see otherwise.” The strange man lowered his weapon, nodding at his friend to do the same. Rick and the group were less keen on doing so, but followed suit. The first man was tall and muscular. Teagan couldn't pinpoint his accent, not that it mattered. His eyes were dark and shifty, not to be trusted. His friend was large and clumsy, and covered in sweat.

​​“Name's Brandon. This here's Kevin. Nice to meet ya'll.”

​​Rick nodded, and introduced himself, followed by Glenn and Hershel. Teagan remained silent.

​​“And what's your name, sweetheart? No need to be rude.”

​​She clenched her jaw. “Do not call me that.” Her voice was heavy and direct, almost a hiss.

​​“Now, now. No need to get feisty. We're tryna be friends.”

​​The man named Brandon relaxed his shoulders and shifted his weight, puttering around the bar counter. He kept his face as friendly as possible, observing the settled dust with his fingers. He glanced over at Rick, making the correct assumption he was the leader.

​​“So, from around here?” Rick nodded slightly.

​​“Just the four of ya? Where you holed up?” Rick nodded again.

​​“That last question wasn't a 'yes or no'. Where you staying?”

​​“Nowhere particular. Just wandering” Rick coughed and grunted. He didn't trust these guys, and his suspicion was met with eyes from Glenn and Teagan.

​​Brandon shook his head and scowled. “Ya'll too clean and well-fed to be 'just wandering'.” He chuckled to himself and shifted his weight. In a quick motion, he grabbed a knife, hit Teagan on the head with the handle, and grabbed her in a chokehold, knife to her throat. Her vision was dizzy with dark spots fading in an out. He had hit her fairly hard.

​​“Now listen. We need a place to stay. And I know you have one. So, I'll make you a deal. Take us with you and nobody gets hurt. Deny us and...” his smile grew, “we keep her.”

​​Glenn's eyes grew huge, knowing his implications. Rick grew angry, but stayed in control.

​​“Can't let you do that.” Rick's voice was low. He observed the knife on Teagan throat pinching, drawing a bit of blood. Her eyes were unfocused, and her weight seemed to hang in his grasp. Rick saw that Glenn was intently watching her. He furrowed his eyebrows, and shifted his gaze toward the aggressor.

​​Within a short moment, Teagan opened her eyes wide, exchanged looks with Glenn, and fought against Brandon. He was startled, giving her the advantage of surprise. Teagan tried to push Brandon's arm as far away from her as possible to give her move to move away, distancing herself from him. He tried to hold her tighter, her grip slipped, and his knife made an impressive gash in her arm. She winced in pain, kicked him in the shin, and Glenn shot and killed Brandon. He wouldn't let her get hurt again. He learned from last time. Shoot, and ask questions later. It's them or us. Teagan dropped to the ground, and Rick spun around and shot Kevin in the chest. After he fell to the floor with a boom, the bar went eerily quiet. Rick did a damage check, seeing if Glenn or Hershel hot hurt in the scuffle. He looked at Teagan with worried eyes.

​​“Are you alright?”

​​“Yeah. I'm fine. Let's just get out of here.” Blood dripped down her arm and off her fingertips. She was bleeding a lot, but nothing to panic about. She predicted no artery was hit, just a few smaller veins. She shook her hand to flick some of the pooling blood from her cupped palm. As they readied to leave, they heard a car pull up and voices calling out.

​​“Brandon? Kev? Ya in there?” Everyone in the bar ducked down and froze in position. There were enough injuries, and Rick feared what these new guys would do if they found out their friends were shot dead.

​​“Hello? Are you in there? You hurt? What's going on?”

​​Rick called out, startling everyone inside. “They shot at us first.”

​​“What?”

​​“Your friends, Brandon and Kevin. They shot first. I'm sorry, we had to defend ourselves.”
The group outside grew quiet. Suddenly, the wall with the front door to the bar was being sprayed with bullets. The group inside backed away and headed towards the back door.

​​“There's no way out!” Glenn's voice shook.

​​Hershel pulled out a shotgun, loaded and cocked it. “I'll hold 'em off. You run 'round the back and out of here. Maybe we can scare 'em.” Rick didn't like the idea, but couldn't think of a better one. If they simply ran, they'd be open targets. Hershel readied himself at the back door. Glenn and Teagan were to sprint towards the car, and Rick was going to wait for Hershel when the firing died down, and they'd all leave together.

​​The backdoor swung open, Hershel found a cover and began firing. Rick joined in, and together they brought down two men. Glenn and Teagan sprinted away from the chaos, only to meet one of the aggressors. They panicked and split up. Glenn ran towards the car, and Teagan took an alley between buildings. The aggressor followed Glenn, and Teagan was followed by walkers. She scurried up a fire escape and stopped to catch her breath. I need to get back down there! The violence died down seemingly as quickly as it came. Rick ushered Hershel in the right direction until they heard a scream. One of the men had fallen off a rooftop and impaled his leg. Teagan also heard the deafening yell, but couldn't see what was going on. She had to go up, since the alley was full off too many walkers to take down by herself. She saw Rick rip a young man's leg off a spike and run towards the car. She couldn't think of a fast enough way to get down to them aside from roof hopping. The building were short and close enough that it was manageable. However, she was exhausted and had an injured arm, let alone the throb in her head from when she was hit earlier. I have to do it. Don't think, just do. She hopped over three buildings when she saw the car get surrounded by walkers. The car regrettably sped off towards the farm without her. She sighed and sat down to think over her options. Now, how do I get back?