From the Shadows

Redneck With a Mission

In the car, Glenn was furious. “We shouldn't have left her! Why did we leave her!”

“Glenn, we were surrounded. We needed to get out.” Rick was almost yelling.

“So we just leave her there? She isn't Merle! She's injured and what if she dies out there?”

“We'll go back for her. She isn't handcuffed like a desperate animal. She's smart. She'll be fine. We'll go back.” Rick felt guilty. Maybe she'll understand.

Glenn's anger was only fueled more. He felt sick to his stomach. He wasn't sure where she was, but he imagined she wasn't too thrilled to be abandoned. The rest of the car ride was silent, except for groans from the man they rescued. Every time Glenn looked at him, he grew angrier. How did we save this fucker and not one of our own? They reached the farm, and Glenn stormed out of the backseat, refusing to help with the injured stranger. Rick and Hershel helped the stranger out and guided him towards the farmhouse. From a distance, Daryl saw them return. He saw Rick and Hershel carrying a vague and blurry, limp figure towards the house. He panicked. He prayed it wasn't Teagan. He couldn't live with himself if the last words she heard from him were angry. He ran towards them, and slowed down only to notice it wasn't Teagan. He let out a sigh of relief, looked around, but still didn't see her. He inhaled deeply and held it. He tried to remain calm, but he needed an answer. [i/Maybe she snuck inside? He ran into Glenn, who looked like he was going to explode. Daryl, nor anyone, had ever seen him so furious.

“Hey, Glenn. Wha' happened? Where's Teagan?”

Glenn looked at him with dark eyes, but softened immediately once he saw the concern in Daryl's eyes. He didn't want to tell him. While Teagan and Daryl would never admit it, but they cared a lot about each other; and Glenn could see it every time they looked at each other. Glenn knew he was pissed, but he couldn't imagine the rage Daryl would emit once he knew.

“We, uh... there was a problem and.. well...”

“Spit it out!”

“She got left behind.” Glenn had never felt so small, and his voice was even smaller

Daryl was shocked, and took a few steps back. He raised his hand to his head and held it in disbelief. “What ya mean she got left?” It was Merle all over again. He didn't know how to handle it. The one person in the group he truly cared about... abandoned. His lip quivered, and Glenn watched Daryl's eyes sink in.

“You left her there?!” Words from several months ago repeated and echoed through the camp. Glenn was right, Daryl was beyond angry. He was so angry, he didn't even know how to process his anger, it was almost like he wasn't feeling anything. He paced back and forth, stopped suddenly and glared at Glenn.

“I tried to stop them. We were surrounded. We lost her. Didn't know where-” Daryl cut him off by abruptly walking away. He went to his campsite and collected all of his things. He was going to leave and find her. It would be dark in a few hours, but Daryl had to get to the town and find her before it got dark. Getting back would be easier. In the meantime, Glenn ran over to Rick.

“Daryl's preparing to leave.”

“What?”

“I told him about Teagan. I had to. He's mad, but he went to his tent to get stuff. I think he's planning on going to get her.”

“It'll be dark soon. He can't go.”

“I know. But I don't think you can talk him out of this one...”

Daryl's instinct would be to walk into town. He knew and trusted his feet better than any vehicle, exception being his motorcycle, which was too damn loud for this mission. He knew the town was a distance away, and he needed to get there before nightfall. He headed towards a car when Rick approached him. Daryl had no patience, and tried to bully his way through.

“Get out of mah way.”

“Daryl, this isn't smart. It's going to be dark soon. It's not safe.”

Daryl stood tall and huffed. “I told ya to get the fuck out of mah way.”

“Daryl, I can't let you leave. We can't lose-”

“She ain't lost! She got left. There's a difference. If she was alive when ya left, she'll be alive now. I gotta find her 'fore nightfall. I ain't gonna leave her to die like you.” Daryl normally stood back from Rick's charge. This time was different. Daryl was going to do what he had to to get Teagan back alive, and if that meant pissing Rick off for the moment, so be it. Daryl wouldn't be able to live knowing she was alive and there was a chance, only to have it slip away by staying at camp.

Rick bowed his head, knowing Daryl was more stubborn than anyone. “At least take someone with you.”

Daryl geared up to protest again, but stopped himself. As angry as he was, and how much he felt he didn't want anyone to help him, it was safer to bring someone else. An extra pair of eyes to see, and hands to fight. Daryl merely grunted in response, and first went to Glenn for assistance. Besides, Glenn knew his way to and around town better than Daryl.

Daryl unintentionally approached him roughly. “Goin' to get her. Comin'?” Glenn was exhausted, but didn't hesitate to accept. He felt unbearably guilty for leaving her behind, the least he could do was retrieve her. Besides, Glenn couldn't think of anyone else to go in his stead that Daryl would tolerate. They headed towards the car, and as Daryl was about to get in on the driver's side, he asked, “You know where we're goin'?” Glenn nodded and suggested that it would be easier if he drove. Daryl nodded, and walked towards the passenger side. Glenn got in on the passenger side and scooted himself over to the driver's side.

Teagan sat on the rooftop for several minutes. What do I do? She could wait safely on the roof, but that was with the assumption that they'd come back for her. She had no supplies with her, except for a few weapons, and the lack of water concerned her. There was also a risk of other people showing up, dangerous people. What if other members of the group from earlier showed up and found their people dead on the ground? She'd have no chance in her physical state against a group of the living. Her only other option was to get off the roof. Where should I go? She could try to make it back to the farm, but it was getting dark soon. She could hole up somewhere in town, but the place was seemingly infested with walkers, last she checked, and the problem of no supplies lingered. After much contemplation, she decided to find a place to stay for the night. It was too dangerous to travel alone at night, especially with her injuries. She'd have a much better chance getting back to the farm in the daylight and after a night's sleep. She peered over the edge of the roof to count the walkers near the ladder. The alley was open on two sides, giving her an out if needed. No walkers were in sight. She peered onto the main street and saw a few more walkers, but nothing she couldn't handle. She traveled down the fire escape as quietly as she could. Her arm and head ached, and certain movement reopened the gash, causing her to bleed more. She reached into her pocket, grabbed her bandana, and wrapped it around her arm. She walked along the side roads until she felt far enough from downtown to find a spot for the night. Many of the houses had broken windows, probably from looters. She found the house with the highest number of intact windows with an upstairs. If she slept upstairs, she'd have enough time to react to intruders from downstairs.

Teagan crept into the house quietly, knife in hand, ready for trapped walkers inside the house. Regrettably, her bow and arrow were left with Rick and Glenn in the car. I hope they still have it... She slowly opened the door, check to her left and right, keeping her back to the wall. Nothing. She closed the door, and peeked into adjacent rooms. The house seemed fairly untouched, and a strong whiff of death approached her nose. She readied her stance, made some slight noise, but nothing came. All the downstairs rooms were clear, so she made her way up the stairs and checked each room. The first room was clear. The second room contained two small bodies, one on each bed, dead. Shot in the head in their sleep, or so she hoped. Teagan knew what this meant, and relaxed a little. She approached the room at the end of the hall, and saw corpses with a similar fate. Two bodies, two head shots, one with the gun still in hand. For some reason, this scene seemed sadder than if there were walkers roaming around. They never even got a chance. She ransacked through some of the belongings, hoping for something useful. She grabbed the gun, but it only had one shot left, and no bullets were found in the bedroom drawers. She grabbed a clean shirt to wrap around her wounded arm, some more clothes to keep, and closed both bedroom doors out of respect. The one room without any body was where she would sleep. She checked to see that the front door and back door were closed. The backdoor couldn't lock, but the front door could. Teagan walked into the kitchen and found various unexpired snacks to consume. The water wasn't running. After eating, she walked back upstairs closed the bedroom door, and fell asleep quickly.

The sun fell faster than Daryl or Glenn could have anticipated. Daryl grew nervous and embarrassed. It was stupid and unsafe for him to travel out at night, and he knew it. I jus' can't leave her like tha'. He bit on his thumbnail. Glenn noticed how quiet and awkward Daryl was acting.

“We'll find her.” Glenn broke the silence.

Daryl grunted in response, not knowing what to say. He had a feeling they'd find her. I just hope she's alive when we do.

“And she'll be alive.” It was like Glenn was reading Daryl's mind.

Daryl turned his head towards Glenn who was intelligently watching the road. Daryl shifted uncomfortably and looked out the windshield.

“How much longer?” Daryl had little emotion in his voice.

“Twenty or so minutes. Not too much longer.”

“Think it was stupid to come out here?” Daryl knew it was, and knew Glenn agreed. He just hoped Glenn would lie to him, and hoped the lie would make him feel better.

“Yeah, probably. But she's alone, and she needs us.”

“Maybe when we get there, hole up er sumthin. Find her in the mornin'.”

Glenn agreed. As soon as it was light, Daryl planned on searching every nook and cranny that town had to offer. It would be even more reckless to try and find her at night. She mighta bin smart and hid somewhere for the night.

Teagan was woken up by the sound of a car from outside. She panicked. She grabbed her weapons and peered out the window. It was too dark to see the car, but she knew it had stopped in front of her current residence. Shit shit shit. She thought of the people who attacked earlier Maybe some got away. Maybe they followed me. Maybe... her thoughts were broken by voices outside. More than one. Teagan's heart began to race and her breaths quickened. She wasn't strong enough to take out multiple guys. She was weakened, in pain, and slightly handicapped. She closed her eyes and concentrated. I can't give up now. She left her room and went downstairs, finding a dark, shadowed nook to hide in. She wouldn't be seen from the back door, and the front door was locked. She waited. The voices went silent for a minute, but came back louder. Her heart was pounding so hard her ears were ringing. The house was dark, not well aided by the light of the full moon from outside. Only a sliver of light pierced the house from the wall adjacent to her. She knew they wouldn't see her, but would she be able to see them? The front door handle was jiggled and the door kicked. Please stay out there. Please. Footsteps circled around the house towards the back. The door opened. The voices had ceased and the footsteps were barely audible. She gulped, clenched her knife tight and lunged at the first figure that came through the door.

Teagan had her knife nearly pressed against the intruders throat, when a familiar voice rang out from behind her.

“Teagan? Holy shit! Is that you?”