From the Shadows

Pissed Off Snake

Glenn? She quickly looked behind her and back at the man she tackled.

​​“We gonna do this every damn time we run into ya?!” The gruff voice bludgeoned her ears. And there's Daryl. Teagan leaped off of Daryl before he could even think about throwing her. She gained composure, relaxed her shoulders and lowered her weapon.

​​“Wh-what are you doing here?”

​​“Saving yer ass. What's it look like?” Daryl was angry. Not at Teagan, but at the fact she tackled him successfully. Twice. Teagan smiled and nodded, glad to see familiar faces. Glad I wasn't forgotten. After the familiarities, Glenn's face instantly showed guilt.

​​“Hey, uhm, Teagan? I'm so sorry about earlier. I tried to talk them out of it but-”

​​Teagan cut him off. “I know. I saw the car. You were surrounded. I get it.” She understood, but didn't agree. She still felt like shit for being left, but it wasn't something she saw herself holding onto as a grudge.

​​“So, what was your plan exactly?” Teagan asked.

​​“Well, we were gunna hole it up, find ya in the mornin'. Ya saved us a step. Guess we could hole up anyway, head back tomorrow.”

​​Glenn and Teagan agreed. Daryl scoped the house, trying to specify where he would sleep.

​​“Three rooms upstairs. Two are, uh, occupied. One room open with one bed. Floor space and a living room down here.”

​​“What do you mean 'occupied'?” Glenn regretted asking as soon as the question left his lips.

​​“Let's say the family opted out of this adventure early.” Teagan kept the gruesome details to herself. She personally loved them, but knew it wasn't a common trait, especially with Glenn. Glenn looked down at her arm, almost forgetting earlier.

​​“Whoa. How's your arm?” Daryl overheard the question, his concern grew.

​​“Uh, it's fine. Wrapped up, and bleeding stopped. I'll have Hershel check it out tomorrow. I didn't exactly bring the necessary tools with me this time. My mistake.” She tried to hide her arm from Daryl, who approached behind them quietly and quickly. Glenn felt Daryl's presence, and the tension that came with it. He left the two to discuss. Daryl grabbed her wrist a bit too roughly.

​​“Jesus. I said it was fine.” She pulled from his grip but he didn't let go. He rotated her arm and she flinched from pain. He saw blood had seeped through the wrappings, and undid them. His eyebrows furrowed immediately at the damage.

​​“This ain't fine.” He growled. He knew that she knew it wasn't simply 'fine'. He recognized her need for independence and to appear strong. He held those same qualities in himself. Nonetheless, the wound was pretty bad and needing tending immediately. His touch went from rough to gentle and his eyes softened. Teagan could see the concern in his eyes.

​​“Look, Daryl, I'm okay. Really. We'll be back at the farm tomorrow and it will be taken care of. It's late. You should get some sleep.”

​​“Did ya clean it yet?”

​​She sighed. “No. Haven't had a chance. Found shelter first thing, and no running water.”

​​Daryl let go of her arm and retreated within himself. He felt awkward for making things between them more personal than necessary. His concern over-rode his incessant withdrawal. He bit the side of his thumb and looked at his feet.

​​“I'll take first watch. Go lay down. You need it.” Teagan could see the circles under his eyes, combination of exhaustion and general stress elevation. She nodded her head at him and walked away to sit on the floor against the wall in the main part of the house. She had a view of both doors and most of the windows. She predicted a quiet night, but wasn't going to take any more risks.

​​Daryl wandered off to the kitchen to double check that there was no running water. He believed her, but needed to check for himself anyway. He wasn't sure where he'd sleep. Glenn had snagged the only available room and Daryl wasn't going to share with him. The only other place was the couch, but it was in the same room that Teagan sat. Don' think I can sleep with her there. He eventually settled on the couch anyway, but kept his eyes wide open.

​​Teagan observed him for awhile, noticing how he didn't sleep. She could see his eyes glisten in the penetrating moonlight.

​​“Sleeping tends to work better with your eyes closed.” Teagan fiddled with the knife in her hands. Her sudden chattiness surprised her. Daryl turned his face towards her and smirked to himself. He sat up and walked over to her. His muscular figure towered over her sitting figure.

​​“Let's switch.” Daryl's voice was quiet and had desperate undertones. He knew he couldn't sleep, and hoped she wouldn't resist his offer.

​​“It hasn't even been an hour.”

​​“I can't sleep. Ya need it more than me.”

​​“Says who?” Her voice was playful, but had legitimate protest behind it.

​​Daryl's actions contradicted everything his brain told him. Do not sit down. Do not sit next ta her. What're ya doin'?! Go back to tha couch! Daryl slid to the floor against the wall several inches from Teagan, still biting his thumb. He made no attempts at eye contact. Teagan turned her head to face him, saw how nervous or frustrated or something he was, and looked away. They sat in silence for awhile, before Daryl spoke.

​​“Wha happened out there?”

​​“Ran into some unfortunate people.” Her instinct was always to tell the truth, but just barely enough. Gritty details didn't make the questioning person feel better. In fact, it usually made them feel worse. She was trying to spare him. This tactic didn't apply to someone like Daryl. He was the type of person that wanted the whole story when he asked for it. He wanted a picture in his mind so it didn't happen again. His job, he felt, was to help keep the group safe, and for some reason, keep Teagan especially safe. He didn't know why he felt so inclined to help someone who was already so strong. He saw her strength in him. He'd never ask for help, even when he desperately needed it. Maybe she's the same. She won't ask. Just gotta give it.

​​Daryl's voice grew stern. “I asked ya what happened.”

​​“Does it really matter? We're safe. Rick and Glenn and Hershel are safe.”

​​“You didn' come out so safe.”

​​“I came out fine. Just a bit of a... accident.”

​​“Gashes on yer arm ain't no accident. An' they sure as hell ain't safe.”

​​Teagan didn't want to argue. Daryl didn't either. They were both painfully stubborn and painfully obsessed with independence. Silence fell between the two of them. Daryl never expected to get an answer from her. She never expected to give one, either.

​​Teagan sighed heavily. “We were about to leave when two guys came rushing in thinking we were walkers. The main guy pretended to be friendly, exchanging names. He pulled a fast one on me and held me hostage.” Her voice got real low. “Should have seen it coming...” She paused, and shook off the awkward break in speech. “I was his bartering chip. Either Rick took them to the farm or they took me. Glenn ended up shooting him. That's probably his first human kill.” Her voice was quiet and controlled. She prevented emotion from seeping into her words. She looked straight ahead the entire confession, not once even shifting her eyes to Daryl. There was guilt in her eyes, frustration. That was harder to hide.

​​Daryl didn't really know what to say. Several topics popped up into his head, but none of them seemed appropriate, no matter how true they were. Ya arn't weak. Ya did fine. Glenn's fine. I'm sorry. He eventually settled on one. “Rick'd never give ya to 'em.”

​​She wasn't sure what he'd say, but it wasn't that. The statement was obvious. The thought had never crossed her mind that Rick would actually consider giving her to them. “I know.”

​​Teagan coughed, indicating a change of subject. “We should get some stuff while we're here.” Daryl didn't say anything, just gave her a confused look.

​​“In town, tomorrow, before we leave. There's some stuff I need to get. Might as well get it while we're here. Save some gas and time.”

​​“We needa get ya back ta Hershel first.”

​​“A few hours won't make a difference. I have no fever, so no infection. Just a matter of stitching it up.”

​​The sun started to peak over the horizon when Glenn hazily trampled down the stairs. Both Teagan and Daryl dozed off in their respective spots against the wall. Glenn smiled and shook his head. Glenn gathered up the few things they had with them, and the shuffle woke Daryl. He was always a light sleeper. He rubbed his eyes and glared and Glenn.

​​“Can't ya be a bit quieter?” Daryl's voice was snappier than intended.

​​“Oh. Sorry. We should get going soon.”

​​“Ya. She said she wanted ta git some stuff while we're in town.”

​​“Can she do that? I mean.. her ar-”

​​Daryl cut him off. “She says she can do it, she can. We'll be with her anyway.” He stood up and stretched. Glenn and Daryl exchanged glances, both understanding the gesture meant 'Who's going to wake her up?' Daryl shook his head fiercely, and went upstairs to use the restroom. Glenn sighed and walked over to Teagan. Her body was awkwardly slumped, and her breathing was audible, but quiet. He thought about lightly kicking her foot, but felt it was rude. He knelt down and shook her shoulder. Daryl was coming down the stairs and saw a startled and recently-awoken Teagan half-lunge and Glenn. Glenn's eyes were wide and frightened. Teagan, half-alseep, realized her mistake and mumbled an apology as she rubbed her eyes.

​​“You always like a damned pissed off snake?” Daryl's voice called from halfway down the stairs.

​​“People don't tend to wake me up. Usually do that myself. Sorry.” She helped Glenn to his feet. His face looked as if he watched his life flash before his eyes.

​​“Ya dint this time. Let's get goin'.” They scoped the house again, unlocked the front door and exited. The air was warm, but comparatively cool to how it was going to be in a few hours. In the light, Daryl and Glenn could see how pale Teagan looked. Her wound was taking more of a toll on her than she'd admit.

​​“Where'd ya need ta go?”

​​“Need to find a tent. This town has to have one somewhere.”

​​“What ya need a tent for?”

​​“If I'm staying, I'll need a place to sleep. I don't think Hershel wants me cramping his house forever.” Ya could sleep with me. Daryl quickly got angry at the intrusive thought and shook his head.

​​They got in the car, Glenn driving, and strolled through town. The town seemed desolate of walkers, which was surprising seeing how many were there yesterday. They pulled up to a general store. Clothes, food, miscellaneous. “Maybe here?” chimed Glenn.

​​The three got out of the car and approached the building. The front door was already broken into, and they slipped inside. The front part of the store only had two walkers and was cleared. Daryl whistled hoping to call out any hiding walkers, but nothing stirred.

​​“Split up?” suggested Teagan. Glenn and Daryl nodded, and they went to different departments. Glenn filled his backpack with more food. Teagan grabbed some more clothes and shower stuff, including much-needed toothbrush and paste. Daryl searched in the campiest part of the store, but no tents. After twenty or so minutes, they mutually met in the middle and shared their findings.

​​“No tents?” Daryl and Glenn shook their heads.

​​“Damn. Alright, well, we'll figure it out. At least we got some food. Let's go.”

​​The three piled into the car and headed back to the farm. The drive was fairly uneventful. The ride back was fairly quiet. Teagan closed her eyes and dozed off unexpectedly.
​​