From the Shadows

Threat

Early next morning, a makeshift funeral was held for Dale. Everyone gathered around, including Hershel and his family. Everyone's face was pale and sad. Carl wouldn't stop crying into his mother's side. He shied away from the grave site. One by one, people stood in front of the group and said a few words. Stories and memories and quotes, all in commemoration of Dale. Rick was the last to speak.

​​“Dale was a strong, respected member of this group. He provided us with both material and intangible goods. Dale was moral and peaceful; he held this group together.” He paused. “Dale wanted more than anyone to give everyone a life worth living, a chance. In memory of Dale, I suggest we keep Randall alive. It's what Dale would have wanted. I, and someone else, should drive a ways and drop Randall off somewhere, and give him the second chance that would make Dale proud.”

​​No one responded. Many in the group widened their eyes, and whispered were passed around. Shane visibly gritted his teeth and shook his head. Andrea nodded with tears in her eyes. Despite blatantly disagreeing with Rick's suggestion, Shane eagerly volunteered. Rick accepted, and they prepared their departure. They loaded up the car, kept the hood on Randall and put on headphones, blasting music. Rick said good-bye to his family, leaving Lori with heavy sadness in her eyes. Teagan noticed the contempt in Shane's eyes. He broke eye contact and stormed towards the car. This isn't right. Something's going to go horribly wrong.

Glenn found Teagan and asked if she wanted to go on a run. Teagan agreed, and headed to gather for her things.

​​“Where ya headed?” The familiar gruff voice called from behind her.

​​“Glenn wanted to go on a run.”

​​“Sure ya should be doin' that?” Ya still don't seem like yerself.

​​“Why not? We've done it before. We'll be fine.”

​​“Already got two people out, don't need more, 'case somethin' happens.”

​​“Nothing is going to happen. It'll be quick.” Teagan gets her things and jogs off to the car where
​​Glenn is waiting. Under his breath, Daryl calls out to her.

​​“Be safe.” His voice was hardly above a whisper, but she still heard it. He didn't know she did.
​​She didn't turn around, but smiled and kept jogging. If they were quick, they'd be back before Rick and Shane. The car ride was quiet as always. Teagan put her feet on the dashboard while Glenn drove. He tapped his thumb on the steering wheel and looked around nervously.

​​“Something wrong?” Teagan was slightly annoyed but also curious. Glenn wasn't usually this antsy.

​​“Yeah just-... I don't know. I guess I haven't been able to take my mind of Dale.”

​​“Yeah... me neither.” They were quiet for awhile longer before Teagan asked, “So, where exactly are we going? What are we looking for?”

​​“Food, ammunition, weapons... maybe something else? If we run into it.” Teagan nodded and leaned her head back against the seat. Their trip was fairly uneventful. They got in and out with ease. Not too many walkers were around, and definitely no humans. They scavenged some dry goods and a few knifes. The ammunition store was cleaned out. They headed back to the car in no time and headed out. When they came back, it was around dinner time. Soon, the sun would start to set. Rick and Shane weren't back yet. Lori was in emotional shambles worried about Rick. Teagan still felt like something awful either already happened or would happen. She went to her room and instinctively packed up all of her stuff for a quick getaway. She started to fill up her bag to the brim with supplies from around the house she felt were necessary. Maggie bumped into her madness.

​​“Can I ask what yer doing?” A smile cracked on her face, but her voice carried concern.

​​“Condensing. Makes it easier to run.”

​​“Where're you going?” Maggie furrowed her eyebrows and crossed her arms. After the incident
​​with Dale, and how Teagan reacted, Maggie was worried about Teagan running off.

​​“Hopefully nowhere. You should pack, too. Just in case.”

​​“In case of what? Is there something you wanna tell me?” Maggie's accent was particularly noticeable.

​​“I have a bad feeling is all. Doesn't hurt to prepare for the worst.” Maggie visibly shrugged Teagan off, but went to her room as suggested, and secretly packed things up for her, her dad, Beth and Patricia. She told Jimmy to do the same. In an hour, Rick and Shane came bursting onto the property. Their faces were bloody and bruised. Shane lunged from the car and ripped Randall from the trunk, half-dragging him back to the barn. Everyone was shocked and scared.

​​“What happened? What's going on? Are you okay?” Lori blurted out too many questions. Rick went inside to get looked at by Hershel, and everyone followed him inside. Teagan felt the farmhouse was overcrowded and crept outside, soaking in the cool evening air. She noticed a movement in the shadows in the distance. The sun was quickly setting, and vision was at a loss. She squinted her eyes for a better view, but nothing helped. She saw the figure, no, two figures enter the forest. Their movements were too clean and intentional to be walkers. She peeked through the living room window and did a headcount. One person was missing: Shane.

She quickly concluded that Shane had Randall. She figured he was going to execute him, something they decided not to do. She double-checked herself for weapons and stalked Shane. She was always quiet on her feet, careful of branches and leaves. Keeping quiet was a lot harder at night, for all her noisy obstacles couldn't be seen. She kept a safe distance in case she did make too much noise, but stayed close enough to not lose their trail. She heard voices, so she crouched and listened.

​​“Where's your group? I wanna leave with ya.” Shane's voice brimmed with desperation.

​​“Just down the highway a ways. I'll take ya right to 'em. Thank you thank you.” Randall was excited to the point his voice squeaked.

​​“How many men?”

​​“About thirty when I was last with 'em. They'll be your friend, you got me helping you.”

​​Teagan could hear the cold drip of Shane's voice, and the bubbly giddiness of Randall's. What is going on? Is he making friends now? I thought he wanted him dead? Teagan's last question was answered when she heard a panicked squeal, a loud crack, and a body fall. She knew Shane had killed Randall, and she needed to get out of there, fast. She turned to run but Shane was right on her.

​​“Ya think I didn't notice you? Think you can get away? Not this time. No!” He grabbed Teagan by the throat and shoved her against a tree. He squeezed hard and jostled her body, making her head smack the tree. She reached into her waistband to grab a knife, but her hand was smacked and her stomach was punched. The wind was forced out of her, and her vision was getting blurry. She needed to fight him off, she needed to breathe.

​​“You ain't getting away this time girl, nu-uh. I wanted you dead last time, shoulda done it.” She kicked him in the shin, and he loosened on her neck with a sharp groan of pain. She swung her arm into his nose, breaking it. Blood poured down over his mouth and neck. He backhanded her in the mouth, also drawing blood. The swing was so hard, her vision speckled and she lost muscle control. He grabbed her throat again, and continued to strangle her, bashing her head against the tree. Her vision was tunneling. Her vision completely blackened as Shane's marbled voice chanted at her.

​​“Yer gonna die now, little bitch. You and Rick... yer gonna die!”