From the Shadows

Escape

When she woke up, Teagan was sure she was in a dream, or had just had one. Her head throbbed and her throat ached. Her breaths felt stunted and scratchy. It was completely dark now, and Shane was nowhere to be seen. She felt along the forest floor for her knife. She pricked her finger on the blade, denoting its location. She held it in front of her defensively. She recalled the last words she heard. She had been fading quickly, but remembered. Rick! She needed to save Rick. Shane was crazy and out of control. Rick's life, and who knows whose else, was in danger. Her vision was adjusting to the night, and the moon was bright in the sky. While the forest was thick, the ground was fairly flat, and the moon barely shone through the canopies onto the forest floor. From a far distance, she could hear everyone's worst nightmare. Distant groans and shuffling feet, many of them. Dozens upon dozens of collective moans and choking gurgles. Walkers. She needed to get back to the farm. But Rick...? No. Save everyone on the farm, Rick can handle himself. I know he can... She shuffled her way through the trees hearing a voice. She dropped to the ground and held her knife defensively. She couldn't distinguish whose voice it was. She closed her eyes and prayed it wasn't Shane.

​​“Teagan? Is that you?” Teagan sighed a sigh of pure relief. She stood up and faced Glenn.

​​“Holy shit! Are you okay? We've been looking for you.” Teagan could clearly see the concern on his face. She had no idea what she looked like, but guessed she looked like she crawled out of hell.

​​“Yeah, I'm fine.”

​​“Let me take you back to the farm and get you looked at.”

​​“No! I mean, sorry. But Shane's crazy and-”

​​“Wait, Shane did this?” Glenn's face was a mixture of surprise and anger.

​​“Yes, that's not my point. He's after Rick. You need to find Rick. I can take care of myself.”

​​Glenn nodded and held his dim flashlight. He had an idea where Rick had headed towards, and started off there.

​​“Oh, and Glenn? Can you not tell Daryl?”

​​Glenn was initially confused, but nodded. He knew Daryl didn't need the distraction. Not now. Teagan sprinted off towards the farm once she got into the clearing. She almost body slammed into Daryl. Luckily for her, the shadows played in her favor. He couldn't see her face.

​​“Bin lookin' for ya. You alright?”

​​“Yes. Go help Glenn find Rick. He's in trouble.”

​​Daryl didn't have enough time to think or argue, he just listened. He ran into the forest and was blinded by Glenn's flashlight.

​​“Jesus shit Glenn, put that shit away.”

​​“Sorry.”

“Hey, is Teagan a'right? Saw her sprintin', ran into me.”

“Uh, yeah. She's fine. Wait...Do you hear that?”

​​They both quieted down and heard the same horrendous groans Teagan had earlier. They exchanged glances and picked up their pace.

​​“We gotta act quick.” Daryl's voice was determined and hastened.

​​Suddenly, Glenn was grabbed by foreign, cold fingers. He squeaked and was pushed to the ground. Chomping jaws aimed for his face. The body quickly became limp as Daryl sent an arrow through its head.

​​“Is that...”

​​“Randall.” Daryl finished Glenn's question.

​​“But... he has no bites on him.”

​​“Died of a broken neck. The hell is this?”

​​They heard a gunshot and mutually decided to head back to the farm. Just one gunshot.
In the meantime, Teagan ran into the farmhouse. Hershel and his family were shocked and ushered her to sit down.

​​“We've got a problem.” Teagan was desperate to get these people out of there.

​​“Teagan, calm down. What happened? Are you okay? Let me take a look.” Hershel tried to get
​​her to sit down.

​​“No, there's no time. You guys need to leave. We have to go!”

​​“Teagan, please. You're hurt. Let's fix you up.” Hershel saw her bleeding head and dark purple bruise around her neck. A small trickle of dried blood sat by her mouth.

​​“Hershel, listen to me. I'm fine. Okay? Fine. There is a horde of walkers headed this way right now. You and your family need to pack up, get in a car, and head to the highway.”

​​“Teagan, we-”

​​“There is NO time! Please! Let's go!” She rushed around the house to get her things. I knew I needed to pack. Everyone in the house, both part and not part oh Hershel's family, gathered as many things as they could. Lori quickly noticed the absence of Carl.

​​“Where is Carl? I told him to stay here, I-” Teagan cut her off.

​​“I'll look for him in the barn, okay? Keep packing. Everything you need. For Rick, for Carl, for yourself, okay? Quickly!”

​​Teagan headed towards the barn, but saw half a dozen walkers meandering in her direction. Hershel stood on his porch with a rifle and started killing them, one by one. Teagan opened the barn and called for Carl, but no one answered. Walkers were closing in on her, and she ran. She didn't know where else to look. A dozen more walkers filed out of the forest towards the farmhouse. Teagan sprinted towards Daryl's campsite and packed what little he had. Two walkers got dangerously close to her, but she stabbed them in the head. She ran back to the farm and threw his stuff into a car.

​​“Hershel, get your family and go!”

​​“This is my farm. I'll die for it.”

​​“Hershel, think of your family. They need you. We need you, please!” He shook his head, fired off a few more shots, and gathered his family into a car. T-Dog got in the driver's seat of one and honked for passengers.

​​“My baby, I can't leave without Carl!”

​​“Lori, he's probably with Rick, safe and sound. Don't let him lose his mother. Get in!” Teagan practically shoved Lori off the porch. Lori, Beth and Patricia headed towards Teagan's car, but Patricia was caught and bitten by a walker. Beth continued to hold her hand and screamed. Lori yanked her away and got in the car with T-dog. He looked at Teagan, but she flagged him away. She needed to get everyone else first. Glenn drove another car, and in piled Maggie, Hershel and Sophia. There was no room for Carol. She started to cry as Glenn hesitated to drive away, but did anyway. Carol was separated from her child for a second time. Carol was almost bit by a walker, but Teagan came in and killed it.

​​“Carol, look at me, okay? We're going to make it. Trust me. Your daughter needs you.” Just then, Daryl swooped in with his motorcycle and urged them both.

​​“We can't both fit, take Carol.”

​​“'Scuse me? Get the fuck on the bike!”

​​“No! Andrea is still lost. She didn't get in any of the cars. There's something else I need to do. Besides, Sophia needs her mother.”

​​Daryl looked at Teagan with sad, angry eyes. He watched her run into the house and he yelled for her, but she was too far. He didn't want to leave her. Why ain't she runnin'? He drove away, leaving Teagan in a muck of chaos. Teagan knew supplies were left behind in the scuffle. She had gone inside, and some walkers had followed her. She rummaged through the cabinets and grabbed all the medical supplies she could shove into the bag. A walker heard her and shuffled into the kitchen and almost got a hold of her, but Teagan pulled away and stabbed him in the skull. She ran outside for her next mission. She kept focused, and looked for Andrea. Noise wasn't an issue anymore, so she yelled for her.

​​“Andrea? Andrea!”

​​A blonde head popped around the corner of the house, refilling the clip of her gun.

​​“Where is everybody?”

​​“They got in cars. We need to go.”

​​“Just us? We can't-”

​​“Yes we can. Come one. You're a good shot. We need to go!” A car started to approach the two of them. Teagan ushered Andrea to run, but they became surrounded by walkers. Andrea ran out of ammunition and ran into the forest. Her path towards the car was blocked.

​​“ANDREA! NO!” A few walkers scuttered towards Teagan as the truck pulled up. Carl opened the door from the inside, sitting next to Rick.

​Rick's voice was almost a grunt. ​​​“Come one, we need to go.”