From the Shadows

What is Burnt is to be Left Behind

The farm was overrun, and the barn was swallowed by flames. Teagan threw the duffle bag into the back of the truck. She knew everyone got out safely. Except Andrea... guilt began to swell inside her. Her and Rick exchanged looks. She didn't want to ask, not in front of Carl, but Rick knew her question by the look on her face. He clenched his jaw and simply nodded. Teagan leaned her head back against the seat, hoping everyone could make it to the highway alive. Teagan was exhausted and dozed off, only to wake up what felt like minutes later, feeling unrested. Carl stared out the windshield with a horrified look on his face. Rick also stared, full of what seemed to be disappointment, regret and a hint of hopelessness. Teagan stretched as much as she could in the car and forgetfully touched her head. She recalled the events from the previous night like it was just a bad dream. The throb in her head crept back, and she thoughtlessly touched her neck. Shane's bleeding and angry face violently flashed into her memory as the touch of her hand against her neck stung.

The first car to appear in an undesignated spot on the highway was T-dog, Lori and Beth. Lori was cradling Beth. They didn't know who else made it out alive. Lori convinced T-Dog to stay and wait for the others. They waited awhile and Daryl's motorcycle with Carol clinging on the back pulled up. Lori had tears in her eyes, waiting for Rick and Carl. Beth slumped down. Daryl parked his bike, got off, and assessed who was there. He didn't see Teagan, and grew impatient and panicked. Fifteen minutes later, Glenn, Maggie, Hershel and Sophia rolled up. Beth was ecstatic and threw Herself at her surviving family. Lori nodded her head, glad more people were alive; still no Rick or Carl. Carol knelt down and hugged her daughter tightly, telling her repeatedly how she'd never leave her again. Daryl knew neither cars would have Teagan, yet he still hoped. He started pacing.

​​“Imma go out 'n' look for her.”

​​“What?” Glenn face dropped at the prospect of the group getting split up again.

​​“Teagan. She was goin' ta find Andrea. Didn' make it in a car. She's in the wood somewhere.”

​​“No, you can't. We just got here, and we need to stay together. She'll find her way. Her and Andrea... they will.” Carol didn't want Daryl to leave. Similarly, she didn't want the group to be separated.

​​“We can wait here for awhile and see if she shows up. No point in going in after her, only for her to pop up later.” Hershel took temporary control while Rick was still missing. He tended to any wounds that needed tending to; which were so far negligible or non-existent. Soon after, a truck chugged over the horizon. They pulled up and Rick and Carl poured from the driver side and embraced Lori. Teagan slowly exited the car and made her way to the group. Daryl had sat himself against the hood of a car away from her. He didn't know she was there until he heard some members of the group gasp loudly. In the light, her injuries were more apparent. Her lip was swollen and split, but the dried blood had flaked off. The back of her head, though mostly hidden by her hair, was bruised fairly prominently, but the small cuts stopped bleeding. The one that shocked everyone the most was the dark ring around her neck. Her shirt covered the few bruises on her ribcage. Daryl leaped from the car and didn't want to believe his eyes. Last he'd seen her, he didn't know she was injured. Did tha' happen before or after I left? Everyone approached her overwhelmingly, but she smiled. Hershel put a hand on her chin and did a visual examination and ushered her to sit down so he could take care of her.

​​“I don't know what medical supplies we have, but your head needs stitchin'.”

​​“Check the blue duffel bag in the back of the truck.”

​​Maggie followed instruction, and it was full of supplies from the farmhouse. Medicine, bandages, sutures; it felt as if nothing was left behind. Maggie's eyes grew wide with joy, and she brought the necessary supplies to her father. Hershel also smiled, followed by everyone but Daryl.

​​“You went inside for tha?” Daryl voice was scratchy and demanding.

​​“Yes. I knew it got left behind, and I knew we needed it.” She winced slightly at Hershel prodding.

​​Everyone was shocked that Teagan ran back inside to get more things.

​​“You could have died.” Carol's words could be interpreted as anger, but her tone hinted at surprise and thankfulness. Carol was proud of Teagan's near sacrifice. Hershel cleaned Teagan up; she only needed a few stitches.

​​“There isn't much I can do for the bruising. You should be alright, though.” His voice was soft, but he couldn't take his eyes off her throat. Teagan felt self-conscious.

​​“I appreciate it, thanks.” She nodded and puttered around, when Daryl approached her.

​​“What happened to ya?”

​​Teagan sensed the urgency in his voice, and tried to lighten his mood. “Well, the world ended, and I got damn good at using knives.”

​​Daryl's face was hard as stone, and his eyes were darker than they had ever been. The slight smile fell from Teagan's face, and she fiddled with her hands as a distraction.

​​“I'm serious. The fuck happened? Went lookin' for ya last night.”

​​“Daryl, I'm fine. Hershel said I'd be good as new in no ti-”

​​“Damnit Teagan, don't play this game wit me. Yer hurt, I'm not blind ya know.” His voice was growing in anger and frustration. He felt guilty for not being able to protect her.

​​“I ran into Shane an-”

​​“Shane?! Shane did this to ya! I'll fuckin' kill 'im!” Daryl looked like a cornered wild animal; fierce and ready to pounce.

​​“There's no need.” Teagan eyebrows furrowed and she crossed her arms. “He's already dead.”

​​Daryl took a step back from disbelief. “What ya mean 'dead'?”

​​“I don't know how it happened. He attacked me, left me to die and I ran back to the farm to get everyone out. All I know is Shane was after Rick and Rick made it out alive.”

​​Daryl hung his head, not knowing what to say. He was glad she was alive.

​​“You alrigh' though? I mean...” He shifted his weight uncomfortably, and dug the toe of his boot into the dirt.

​​“Yes. A lot better now than I was a few hours ago. It's all said and done.”

​​“Glenn tol' me you were okay.” His voice was quiet and childlike; hints of sadness peppered his words.

​​“Huh?”

​​“When ya left the woods an' I ran inta ya, I asked Glenn if you was alright, and he said ya were. He lied.” He looked at his feet and started to bite his thumb. He somehow felt responsible for Teagan's state, and believing Glenn.

​​“I told him to say that.”

​​Daryl looked up at her quickly with an expression Teagan couldn't decipher. Anger? Confusion? Disbelief? “Wait, why?”

​​“Because, I knew I was fine and you didn't need the distraction. You needed to find Rick and get out alive. Worrying about me would have slowed you down.”

​​Daryl didn't like it, but he knew she was right. If he saw how bad she was, he would've lost it. He nodded his head and slumped his shoulders. Silence fell between them.

​​“Were you the one ta grab mah stuff?”

​​Teagan couldn't help but smile. “Yeah. I knew you were preoccupied. Did I forget anything?”

​​“Nah.” They nodded and Teagan began to turn away before Daryl spoke again. “Uh, thanks.”

​​“No problem.” Teagan put on a smirk, and the two of them headed towards a makeshift gathering of the group. They needed to make a decision as to where they were going to go. ​