From the Shadows

Panic

Daryl woke up from a light and terrible sleep. He had a nightmare that Teagan had come to the door as a walker. He tried to shake the feeling. She's alive. You saw her. You heard Hershel. She'll be fine. He skipped down the stairs and peeked his head into the room where Teagan was the night before. Gone? Where in the hell did she go? He paced around for a little bit, and decided to check outside. He was so focused, he ran into Beth and nearly knocked her over.

“Shit, I'm sorry.” Daryl helped Beth keep her balance.

“It's fine. What's the hurry? Feelin' alright?” Genuine concern was constant in Beth's face.

“Yeah, just uh... have you seen Teagan?”

“Last I talked to her, sounded like she headed to the shower house.” Just as it looked like Daryl was going to head over there, Beth spoke again. “I wouldn't go there if I were you.”

“Why not?” Daryl was too innocent to see Beth's point.

Beth quickly saw that Daryl wasn't intending to be creepy; he was just concerned because of yesterday. She sighed and smiled at him. “Because... she'll be taking a shower.” Beth raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms, smiling at Daryl. Daryl quickly recoiled into himself, feeling foolish. He realized how he probably sounded, and tried to defend himself.

“I wasn't tryna... I was just... I mean yesterday...” He couldn't finish any sentence he started. He kept stuttering and nervously moving his hands. Beth giggled and interrupted his nerves.

“I know. If you want to check on her, I can go with you. It'll be less weird if I saw anything.” She smiled and Daryl nodded. He didn't even fathom the possibility of seeing Teagan exposed. His protective instincts just kicked into high gear. They walked to the shower house together, and heard frantic sounds. Daryl positioned his crossbow and waved Beth behind her. They approached and saw Teagan pacing. He saw her eyes wider than he had ever seen them, full of fear. She was shaking, and he could somehow tell the blood had drained from her face, even though it was covered in dirt. Panic attack? Daryl lowered his crossbow and approached Teagan slowly.

“Teagan?” She heard Daryl and jumped back, arms raised in front of her. She lowered her hands as soon as she saw who it was.

“Jesus fuck, Daryl. Scared the shit out of me!” Teagan saw Beth wince at her swearing, and mumbled an apology under her breath.

“Are you alright?” Daryl kept his hands raised in front of him, as if trying to soothe Teagan. She stepped back a little, still unable to stop her incessant panicking.

“Yes, I'm fine. What the hell are you doing here anyway?” Her voice was sharp and angry. She wasn't angry at Daryl, but full of adrenaline and angry at herself. Just calm the fuck down already.

Daryl stepped forward slowly and lightly grabbed Teagan's shoulders. Visions flashed before her eyes. Her step-father... Shane... every violent man who has ever put their hands on her. She forgot who Daryl was, and where she was and screamed. “DON'T TOUCH ME!” Her screams scared Beth, who hid several steps behind Daryl.

Daryl took a step back and lowered his arms. She's still panicking. Got ta calm her down. “Teagan, please. Jus' calm down. It's me Daryl. Yer alright, jus' breathe.” Daryl could hear her hyperventilate. Teagan closed her eyes and tried to focus. It's just Daryl. Not them.

Daryl saw Teagan close her eyes. He looked behind him and exchanged looks with Beth. Beth shrugged and hinted that Daryl should try again. Daryl gulped and spoke softly, so as to not startle Teagan again. “Yer okay. No walkers 'round here. No nothing. Just me n Beth. We ain't gonna hurt ya.” When he got close enough to her, he tried to touch her shoulders again. She stayed still under his touch. He moved his hands to her wrists. Her breathing was slowing, but her pulse was still high. He sloped his head down to look at her in the eyes; her head was tilted down. “Hey, you alright?”

Teagan bit her lip and looked up at Daryl. She was thoroughly embarrassed by her episode. “Y-yeah. I'm fine.” Her voice was bitter, piercing through clenched teeth. She tried to relax her mood. He just wanted to help. “What're you doing in here, anyway?” She felt the question came out of nowhere, but she was genuinely curious.

“Just wanted ta check on you is all. Make sure you was okay...” His voice was soft and gruff.

Teagan started to calm down a little. “You wanted to check on me... in the shower?” She wanted her voice to sound like she was making a joke, but she still sounded angry.

“No.. I.. that's why I brought Be-” He turned around to show he brought Beth, but she had disappeared. “God damnit. Beth?!” Way to make me look like a fool. Beth peeked her head around the doorway.

“Sorry! Just, uh, thought I should leave you two alone!” She slunk her head out of sight and left Daryl and Teagan in awkward silence.

Teagan spoke first. “I'm sorry you had to see that. Shouldn't happen again.”

“Nah. Ya been through a lot past few days. Can't begin to imagine.” Awkward silence.

Daryl coughed. “That ever happen to ya before?” He put his hands in his pockets. He was never great at small talk; the situation at hand didn't make it any easier.

Teagan smirked, then dropped her smile and bit her lip. “Not in a very long time. Thought I broke that habit.” She ran a nervous hand through her short, dirty hair. They exchanged glances, and both looked at the floor.

Daryl had a lot he wanted to say, but couldn't form a complete thought to string it all together. Instead, he just blurted out a mumbled apology.

“For what?” Teagan was confused.

“Fer.. uh... leavin' ya. With all the walkers. Jus'... I don't know. Panicked, I guess.”

Teagan smiled. “Hey, now we're even.” Daryl was initially confused, but remembered when she ran off on him. Silence fell between them again.

Teagan shrugged. “I should probably take that shower now.”

Daryl's eyes got wide with embarrassment. “Oh, yeah.” He scratched his head. “You gonna be alright?” His eyes were soft and tired.

Teagan smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I think I will. Thanks.” She put her hand on his shoulder, and awkwardly pulled away. Daryl left Teagan alone.

After twenty minutes, Teagan returned to the main part of the cell block, hair wet and dirty, blood-caked clothes in her hands. Daryl caught her eye and thought about how attractive she was. Stop thinkin' like that! He shook the thought, and got distracted by the faint bruises on her body. Guilt filled him again and he looked away. Carol hurried over to Teagan to take her clothes.

“I can do it Carol. No worries.” She smiled weakly.

“No, please. Let me. I'll add it to everyone else's. You should rest.” Carol smiled at her and took her clothes.

As helpful as Carol was being, Teagan felt useless. Even with all that happened to her, she didn't feel she could rest for another moment. She needed to earn her keep like she had from the first day. Hunting, gathering supplies, keeping watching, anything to help the group. She asked everyone around if there was anything she could do to help, and everyone repeated the same thing: just rest. She got a bit fed up and decided to wander outside. She went back to the graves and paid a visit. She almost felt guilty for still being alive. She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. Daryl sneaked up behind her. If she had average hearing, she wouldn't have known he was behind her. They were quiet for a moment before Daryl walked up and touched one of the crosses. With a grunt, he pulled it out of the ground. Teagan gave him a funny look.

“Told 'em not to put one there for ya.” His voice was quiet and serious. He gently placed the cross on the ground.

Teagan bit her lip and sighed. “For all they knew, I needed one.” She couldn't make eye contact with Daryl.

He looked at her and furrowed his eyebrows. “Nah. Not even fer a second. You'll be the last one that ever gets one a them.”

She couldn't help but smile. She turned her head towards him and squinted a bit from the bright sun. “You put a bit too much faith in me, Dixon.” She turned back to the remaining grave.

Without thinking, Daryl responded. “Best thing to put my faith in.” He immediately blushed and shifted his weight awkwardly. Why did I say that? God damnit. Prolly thinks I'm a sucker er sumthin...

Teagan chuckled and put her hands in her pocket. She didn't really know what to say. By the look on his face, she could tell he said it by accident. By how red he was, she knew it was sincere. What is this damned boy doing to me? Before more words could be exchanged, they were called in for lunch.