From the Shadows

Drugged

It had been a few days, and members of the group were still hesitant in letting Teagan do anything. She got so fed up, she marched over to Glenn, nearly stomping her feet. Her sudden and angry presence made his eyes grow big in panic.

“Uh, is everything alright?” He stopped what he was doing, afraid he was in trouble.

“I'm going with you.” Her voice was strong and demanding.

“But-”

“No, none of that bullshit anymore. I'm fine, despite what everyone here keeps thinking. I'll be damned if I have to keep sitting on my ass while everyone else gets shit done!” She spoke semi-aggressively with her arms.

“Uh, okay? Sounds fine with me. Did you ask-”

Teagan put her hand up and cut him off abruptly. “I didn't ask anyone, because I know I'm fine.”

Glenn was worried, but realized she was right. People had been unnecessarily babying her, and she was not the kind of person to sit back and take it lightly. She wanted to do more than anyone else there. “Alright!” Glenn had a smile on his face. He secretly missed having her on runs with him. She was fast, smart, and knew exactly what she was doing. He felt safer with her around. “Maggie planned on coming with me... is that alright?” Both of them instantly flashed to when Glenn asked last time, and how things went wrong. Teagan smiled to herself, knowing that both Glenn and Maggie had matured and changed drastically since the last time.

“Yeah, of course.” Was the only appropriate and accurate reply.

“Cool. I'll go get her and my stuff. Did you need to get yours? We can meet near the gate.”

“Yeah, see you there.” Teagan headed off towards her room, and Glenn in the opposite direction.

She got to her established-for-her room. She always internally laughed when she remembered that the group essentially picked this room for her; and excluding Daryl's, hers was the farthest away. She gathered up her weapons and bandana. On her way out, she nearly ran into Daryl. He looked at her suspiciously.

“Where ya goin'?”

“Out on a run with Glenn and Maggie.”

“You sure about that?” Daryl wasn't sure if he'd ever stop worrying about her. It was almost getting on his own nerves.

“Yes. I'm fine. Like I told Glenn, I need to start contributing again. To be honest, I'm kind of sick and tired of being in this prison. Getting out might do me some good.”

“Why don't ya wait ta go huntin' with me?” Daryl slightly ignored her statement to come up with a solution he liked better.

“Why? So you can keep an eye on me?” She joked. “You won't be doing that for a few more days. I can't wait that long. Besides, I'll be with Glenn and Maggie. I'll be fine.”

Daryl didn't respond. He just held a concerned look in his eye and kept his shoulders hunched.

“Daryl...” She sighed. She understood where his worry came from. Why does he still feel guilty? “I'll be fine, okay? It shouldn't take more than a few hours.” She made a point to look at him in the eyes. “Really.” She knew better than to use the word 'promise'. He wasn't a child, but she knew how much it hurt to have that word being so carelessly thrown around.

Daryl sighed heavily, and shifted his weight. “Alright. Ya best come back in one piece.” He tried to lighten the mood.

Teagan smiled. “That's usually the plan.” Daryl nodded at her, and she left.

Glenn, Maggie, and Teagan piled into a truck and headed towards a small store. According to Glenn, there was plenty of food left, and it was one of the closest stores to the prison. When they got there, they parked the truck and all three got out. They began collecting some stuff, and were almost ready to go when two strange men wielding guns pulled up.

“Imma need everyone to drop their weapons fer a second.”

Everyone froze, Teagan's back was to the man. All her muscles began to tense. Shit. Not this again.

“Merle?” Glenn's voice was full of disbelief.

“Holy shit. Is that really you Chinaman?” The accent was very southern and rusted.

She heard Glenn and the man called Merle discussed for awhile. The second man stayed in the car.

“Daryl's still alive! We can take you to him!” Glenn spoke excitedly. Teagan was utterly confused. Daryl knows this man?

After several minutes of a failed discussion, Merle aggressively suggested they get in the car with him. Teagan clenched her fist and slowly reached for a knife. She heard a gun cock.

“No, no, missy. We can't have none of that. Put it away and nobody gets hurt.” She didn't move. “Fine.” Merle aimed the gun at Maggie. “I can tell you ain't one to care much fer yer own safety. How 'bout the safety a others? Hmm? That play into yer bargain?” Teagan bit her lip. He was right; Teagan wouldn't risk the lives of her group members. Both of the strange men had loaded, and impressive, guns. The three of them wouldn't stand a chance against the two men. Ironically, their best bet with survival would be going with them. Teagan went to turn around to look at the strangers. The second she showed her face, the man from the car swore.

“Holy fuck!” He scrambled in the car like a scared animal. Teagan couldn't see his face. The next thing she saw, was the barrel of a gun pointed out the window, aimed at her. Before she could act, there was a hot sting in her neck. She reached up and pulled out a dart. The fuck? Tranquilizer? In less than a minute, her eyes began to cross and she felt like the world was spinning, dropping her knife.

“What the fuck did you do?” Glenn was yelling, but his voice sounded fuzzy and far away. Teagan fell to the ground and was barely caught by Maggie.

“You said no one was going to get hurt!” Maggie screamed from the ground, cradling a cross-eyed Teagan. Teagan's breathing was shallow, but steady. Maggie tried to wake Teagan up, but nothing prevailed. Even Merle was surprised by the other man's actions.

“The hell was that for?” Merle threw his arms in the air, one with a sharp, metal implement attached to where the hand should be.

“You'll thank me later. That one's dangerous.” He pointed toward Teagan's limp body. He kept his face stern, but a wicked grin grew. “He'll be happy with this bunch.” The strange man walked up to Glenn and demanded he get in the vehicle with them.

“No.” Glenn clenched his jaw, his words were sour.

The strange man's face went cold as he aimed a pistol at Maggie. “Get in or she dies.” Glenn regrettably got into the car. There, he was hooded. The strange man walked over to Maggie.

She looked at him, still holding Teagan. Her eyes were fierce and angry. “Get up.” The strange man ordered. Maggie ignored him. “Get up or all three of you will die here.” Maggie tensed, and gave in. She knew Glenn and her had no chance of fighting off Merle or this other strange man. They had more guns, and more gusto. Maggie and Teagan were placed in the car alongside Glenn, and hooded.

They were driving for what felt like several hours. Glenn and Maggie were nervous when Teagan stirred, but didn't respond to their voices. After some time, the car came to a stop, and they were yanked out of the car. They were half-dragged, unable to see where they were. They were tied to chairs and had their hoods removed. The rooms were dark, dirty and cold. Each of them were visited by a tall man with a soft, friendly voice.