From the Shadows

Captive

Glenn had tried to fight back, and was punched in the face. His cheek was slightly bruised and swollen. He violently tried to rip out of his bindings to get out of the chair. He was fuming. When the tall man came into the room, he was smiling and open, almost friendly. He had a button up shirt and neat pants on. He had no weapons on him. He sat down in a chair opposing Glenn.

“Let us go. Why the fuck are we here?!” Glenn didn't waste time in demanding his release. He didn't know who they were, or why they were there. That one guy seemed to know Teagan... who are these people?

“Now, now. No need for swearing. I'm just here to... chat.”

“If you wanted to talk, we wouldn't be tied up!” Glenn continued to struggle.

“We don't know you. Well...” The friendly man smiled. “Not most of you.” Glenn was taken aback at this comment. He panicked, and struggled harder.

“You won't break out of there so easily. I'd suggest you give your wrists a rest. Like I said, we just want to talk...”

The friendly man didn't get the answers he wanted from Glenn. He decided it might be a better strategy to talk to Maggie. As he exited Glenn's holding cell, one of his henchmen approached him.

“Did you want to talk to-”

The friendly man cut him off. “No. I know she won't give us any answers. I have my own plans for her.” The cold drip of his voice sent a slight shiver down his henchman's spine. The friendly man continued to walk towards Maggie's holding cell. When he walked in, Maggie was still and quiet. She wasn't incessantly fighting like Glenn. She instead tried to think of a strategy. If I play friendly, maybe they won't hurt anyone...

“Despite our questionable hospitality...” He took a long pause. Maggie looked up at him. Her face was expressionless. “I just want to talk to you, ask you some questions. Is that alright?” Maggie didn't respond.

“Mind if I ask for your name?” Maggie still didn't respond.

“I see... If you answer my questions honestly, we'll let you and your friends go. Sound like a deal?” Maggie's ears perked up. She didn't like the tone of his voice. But this may be our only way out...

Even Maggie wouldn't answer the friendly man's questions. She was stubborn. She knew better than to give up the location of the prison, how many people were in their group and how many weapons they had. Dissatisfied, the friendly man went to Teagan's cell.

When he walked in, she was still coming to total consciousness. It was difficult to hold her head up, and her vision was blurry. Her wrists were in chains, suspended on adjacent walls. The angle forced her arms straight, and her body to awkwardly hunch forward. She still could hear everything that was going on around her. She tried to move, but realized her wrists her tightly cuffed, and her shoulders were being pulled painfully. She pulled on her arms and winced in pain. She tried to focus her vision to see her surroundings. Her arms were already sore from the elevation. Every small movement stung, as the cuffs rubbed against her wrists. Her head perked up when she heard a door open. She couldn't make out the face, for the room was too dimly lit. The man sat in a chair facing her. He smiled at her, knowing she couldn't clearly see him. He amused by her somewhat drugged state. He leaned forward and spoke.

“You should be feeling normal in a few moments.” His voice was smooth and sinister.

At the sound of his voice, Teagan's heart caught in her throat. Her eyes opened wide and her heart began to race. She felt every muscle in her body become tense. She started to violently escape from her chains. They were tight, and began to rip at her skin, and her wrists began to bleed and smear against her struggling. She knew that voice; it was a voice she never thought she'd hear again. The Governor....

Teagan tried to swallow, but her throat was full of rocks. She clenched her jaws and clenched her fists until her knuckles turned white. She panicked and froze. This is it. And to think I came all this way, just for it to end like this. Her vision came back. The only remnants of her drugging was a dull headache radiating behind her eyes. She tried to ease her breathing, to calm herself. If she was going to die, she was going to go out as dignified as she could.

“I know you won't talk.” The Governor spoke with a sharp voice, then went silent. “Your friends on the other hand...” Teagan's head shot up and her eyes bore holes into the Governor.

“Don't you dare touch them.” She felt like a trapped dog, chained down and vulnerable. She couldn't even imagine what injuries her friends might have already sustained.

“I don't plan to.” The Governor responded to her empty threat. Teagan furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. He's never been this merciful before...

“I can't get you to talk, but I might get them to. You see, your cell is between theirs.” His voice became real low and acidic. “And they'll hear every hit to your head, and every pathetic whimper from your mouth.” The blood in Teagan's body froze. “I'll be using you as a bit of... should we say... motivation.” He stood up and chuckled disgustingly. “I've been dreaming of this moment for a long, long time.” He walked over to her and stood in front of her. He aggressively grabbed her face with one hand. He stared directly into her eyes. He whispered. “I told you not to run.” He let go of her face and punched her mouth, drawing blood. He put duct tape over her mouth to quiet her, prevent her from screaming to her comrades in their adjacent rooms. He walked away and ushered one of his henchmen to come inside.

“There are no answers in this one.” His henchman was confused. “Just... pretend like there are.”

“Wh-what did you want me to do?”

“Anything you want. I'll come back in a bit to add some of my own flair.”

The Governor went back to Glenn's room. One of the Governor's men roughed him up a bit. His face was swollen on one side and his lip was split and bleeding slightly. There was still noticeable fire in Glenn's eyes. The Governor took the same seat he had last time.

“So, feel like talking yet?” Glenn glared at the Governor, refusing to speak.

“Fine. That one gal, short brown hair... blue top, southern accent. She your girl?” Shit, what did he do to Maggie? Glenn heard yelling from the next room, and the definite sound of skin-to-skin contact. “You hear that? I hope her face is still as pretty when we're done...”

“YOU BASTARD!” Glenn struggled against his binding again.

The Governor didn't bother to humor Glenn with a response. He promptly left, and headed towards Maggie's cell. She was in the same borderline-comatose state he had originally left her in. He sat down, and smiled at her.

“Do you remember the answers to my questions yet?”

“I ain't telling you anything.”

“Fine with me.” He got up to leave and quickly turned around. “Oh, I almost forgot to ask. That Asian boy... you with him?” What did they do to Glenn? She heard abuse from the room next to hers, and her eyes grew wide.

“Is that...” Her voice was shaking.

The Governor left Maggie confused, similar to how he left Glenn. He went back into Teagan's cell and dismissed his henchman. One eye was nearly swollen shut, and her nose bled profusely over the duct tape covering her mouth. There were apparent dark purple bruises on her face. He slowly walked up to her and stood over her shaking, contorted body and whispered in her ear. “Your friends forgot about you, you see? We'll let them go... and let you rot in here. You won't see the outside of this cell in this lifetime.” He stepped back and cracked his neck and knuckles. He landed a swift kick to her ribs, with an audible crack. Teagan muffled a scream through the duct tape, barely audible, as her knees buckled beneath her, pulling more weight against the chains. The pull was too much, and the same shoulder as last time dislocated. She was in so much pain, her vision was speckled.

The Governor was an interesting man. He was sadistic and twisted, but he was also intelligent and strategic. He quickly figured out that Maggie and Glenn were together, meaning the other was their weakness. He also knew Teagan would never reveal anything. He planned on beating Teagan bloody, hopefully to death for her betrayal. If he made Maggie and Glenn think their precious lover was in the next room when it was actually Teagan, they'd break and reveal their group's location in record time. After he had the answers he wanted, he'd execute Maggie and Glenn, and only let Teagan die when he felt satisfied with her punishment.