From the Shadows

Gone Again

“No, no, don't do this!” Daryl panicked again. He checked her pulse and put his ear to her chest. Still breathin'. Heartbeat's weak, though. He repositioned her body to make her easier to carry. From outside, he heard Glenn complain.

“What's taking so long, why can't we be in th-” Glenn stopped mid-sentence and his jaw dropped. Everyone's eyes grew wide, and Maggie covered her mouth in disbelief. Once Daryl completely exited the room, cradling a limp Teagan, some strangers came into the compound.

“Hey, what the hell's going on down here?!” They yelled. Merle shoved himself between the Woodbury men and Rick's group.

“Go. I'll distract 'em.” Merle spoke.

“But Merle-” Daryl's voice sounded like that of a lost little brother. He just found a brother whom he thought he was dead, and barely rescued a woman who was nearly dead herself. He hated the idea of leaving Merle behind again.

Merle put his hands on Daryl's shoulders. “Listen ta me baby brother, ya got her. Now go. I'll be fine. Get yer friends outta here!” He pointed to where they needed to run, and they all sprinted out of the building towards a secret, emergency exit. The door led to directly outside Woodbury. Once past the door, they ran into the missing Michonne.

“The hell you been?” Rick's voice sounded more southern when he was angry.

“Taking care of some business. Did you find ever-” She paused mid-sentence after seeing a bloodied body in Daryl's arms. “She alive?”

Daryl could barely croak out a “Yeah.”

They didn't stop running once outside. They didn't stop running until they felt a safe enough distance away. Nobody wanted to ask how Teagan was, knowing full well she was in bad shape. Daryl gently laid Teagan on the ground against a tree. After a minute or so, she opened her eyes and coughed, wincing with every movement. She tried to sit up straight, but didn't have the strength.

“Ay, take it easy.” Daryl knew better than to ask if she was okay, or telling her that she would be. He wasn't a doctor, and he had a hard enough time believing she was actually alive by the looks of her.

“Where...” She tried to speak.

“Yer safe now. Got you outta there. Gonna take you back to the prison.” Daryl looked at her with soft eyes, but she kept her eyes closed.

“My shoulder, its-”

“Dislocated again?” Teagan half-nodded. “Imma help you, alright? Gotta stay with me, though.” Teagan simply nodded again. He rummaged the ground quickly for a twig. “Can ya bite down on this?” Teagan barely opened her eyes and nodded. Her mouth was sore and swollen, but she needed her shoulder fixed. The longer they took to place it, the stiffer and more painful it would be. Daryl tenderly placed the twig in her mouth and spoke softly. “Imma pop it back in on a count a three, alrigh? Hang in there. One, two, three...” With a strong nudge and a loud pop, Teagan screamed and passed out. The crack of her joint had everyone's head whirring towards their direction.

Daryl looked at Teagan for several minutes and swallowed hard. He got up slowly to face the group. Regrettably, he turned around to announce he was headed back to Woodbury. He kept his voice quiet, as if the sound would wake Teagan.

“Are you crazy? We barely made it out of there!” Glenn couldn't believe what Daryl was suggesting.

Daryl made a motion with his hands for Glenn to keep quiet. “I gotta. My brother, he's-”

“He did this to us!” Glenn pointed to his own bruises and then to Teagan. Daryl lowered his head in pure shame and guilt.

“Lost him once, can't do that again.” He couldn't look Glenn in the eyes.

“How exactly do you plan on doing that?” Rick inquired.

“Don't know... I just gotta find him.” Daryl's kept his voice low and calm to contrast that of Glenn's.

“If you go back there, you'll die. We need to go while we still have a chance!” Glenn had never been so confrontational.

“I know the way back to the prison. Just go in, and come back out. Real quick.” Daryl's voice was shaky. He was conflicted.

“Daryl... we need you here, with us.” Maggie dropped her voice low so only he could hear. “She needs you.” Her eyes were sad and furrowed.

“Don't do that. Don't make me choose. He's my family.” Daryl shook his head and felt cornered.

“Family who beat the shit out of us.” Glenn spat.

“We're you're family, too.” Maggie tried to reconcile.

“Please. Just take-” He swallowed hard. He couldn't look them in the eyes. “Take Teagan back. Keep her safe. I'll be back before she-”

“Before I what?” Teagan was more awake than before, but still fighting for consciousness. Goddamn Glenn an' his loud voice... Makin' this harder than it needs ta be. She had propped her body into a more upright position, which she almost immediately regretted. Every inch of her body hurt.

“The hell ya doin' up?” His voice was soft despite harsh words. He walked over to her with the eyes of a guilty puppy, and knelt in front of her..

“Look, there's somethin I gotta do.”

“Then do it.” She hissed through blood-stained teeth. Her voice was harsh and cold; her breathing was labored and sharp. She didn't know why the idea of Daryl leaving bothered her. He's his own man with shit he's got to take care of. No big deal... She assumed in captivity she'd die. Now that she was alive, she didn't want anyone else leaving; no more risk of death or injury... especially for Daryl.

“I'll be back quick. Promise.”

Acid built in Teagan's mouth. “I said the same thing.”

Daryl felt the sting of her words. He was thoroughly conflicted. He could only muster a shameful apology and walked away. He hesitated, but told everyone his goodbyes, and that he'd be back at the prison real soon. Oscar offered to help Daryl, which he surprisingly accepted. Maggie and Michonne helped Teagan, who was back to being unconscious, into the bed of the truck to lay her down. They stayed back there with her, to keep an eye on her. Rick and Glenn got into the truck and they drove off. The entire ride back was completely silent except for pained whimpers from Teagan. Everyone bit their tongue, for fear anger and frustration would take over from Daryl leaving.

Teagan had a string of nightmares she couldn't shake herself from. Most of which were essentially reliving her past days as a captive in Woodbury. Most of the moments were coupled with previous experiences from her childhood that were similar in some nature to her abuse in chains. She oscillated between these dreams and the feeling that she was drowning or suffocating. They faded into each other, one after the other; no breaks and points of peace. Everything was dark and heavy. She felt cold, and felt like she couldn't move. When she finally woke up, Hershel was by her bedside. She didn't know how long she was out for. She tried to sit up, but Hershel put a hand on her shoulder.

His eyes were soft, and older than she remembered. “How're you feeling?”

“How long have I been out?”

“Little over a day. You seemed to wake up when you got here, but you had a seizure. You haven't woken up since. Have you had seizures before?”

Teagan remembered having had a few as a child, and distinctly remembered hating them. “Yeah, not too many, though.” Each breath was labored.

“I'll be honest, I don't know how you are still alive. You're strong; I've got to hand it to you. It'll be quite awhile before you'll be completely healed.”

“Figured as much. Too damn bad, too. I hate being bed-ridden more than anyone here.” Hershel couldn't decipher if she was joking of being angsty.

“To my knowledge, you don't have any broken bones. Maybe a cracked rib or two. I stitched all the wounds that needed stichin' and-”

“Thanks Hershel.” She was abrupt. Most people might interpret her tone as rude, but Hershel knew she meant no harm. She didn't want to hear of the damage; feeling it was enough. She didn't need any more reminders of her capture.

Hershel nodded and smiled at her. “Let me bring you something to eat.” When he brought her food, she took a few bites and set it down. She had too much on her mind, and felt too shitty to even think about being hungry.

“Gotta eat to get your strength back.” Hershel encouraged.

“Is Daryl back yet?” She had only one thing on her mind.

Hershel sighed and shook his head. “I'm afraid not. He will be, don't worry yourself.”

They sat in quiet for awhile, which prompted Hershel to leave. Before he left, she spoke again. “Would be nice to have all those books again.” Hershel knew she meant his old farmhouse. He agreed with her solemnly and left her in peace.