From the Shadows

Planning

The next day, Teagan ventured out of her cell. She started chores early in the morning before anybody else could do them. She knew if she asked to help, they'd say no, and she even doubted her ability to ask in the first place. She needed to be apart of the group again, to distract herself. If she was preoccupied with the essentials of survival, she could get past all the bullshit plaguing her. By the time someone else woke up, she had nearly all the chores done. The only thing left to do was go hunting, which she would insist on doing as well. She felt her body ache for the first time in awhile. Her body had not completely healed since being rescued, but her thoughts distracted her completely from the discomfort. The bruising would soon fade, but there were new scars that would stay forever. She hated looking at her own body, and avoided it when she could. Every glimpse just reminded herself of how much of a failure she was, and how much she needed to get revenge on the Governor before he strikes first.

Daryl woke up early and stretched his legs. He had a kink in his neck from a terrible sleep. In a little while, he'd go out hunting. The group knew he'd plan to go out today, so there was no need to wake anyone to tell them where he was going. He quietly walked downstairs, and saw Teagan's room was empty. He took a quick look around the cell block and couldn't find her. Musta gone outside.

Teagan went outside to take care of the garden, and was so preoccupied with her task, she hadn't heard anyone walking behind her. She quickly turned around, and was startled to see Merle just standing there.

“Jesus fuck.” She exasperated. Her voice got more blunt and loud. “At least make some goddamn noise or something.” Teagan's fearful breath caught in her throat.

“Thought you had better ears 'n that.” He spit on the ground.

“What do you want?” Teagan avoided eye contact. She no longer felt in danger around Merle, but she kept seeing the Governor's face in place of Merle's.

“Just checkin' in on ya is all.” Merle's smile was sinister.

“What are you actually here for?” Teagan grew impatient.

“Alright. Fine. Wanna do it that way? Need to talk to ya 'bout tha Governor.”

Daryl half-jogged out of the prison, but heard stern voices, causing him to stop dead in his track. Daryl quieted down to hear the conversation.

“What do you want?”

“Just checkin' in on ya is all.”

“What are you actually here for?”

“Alright. Fine. Wanna do it that way? Need to talk to ya 'bout tha Governor.”


Daryl kept out of site to keep listening to the conversation. The hell is going on?

“There's nothing to talk about.” Teagan winced at the mention of his name. She tried to storm away, but Merle caught her by the shoulders roughly.

“Get your fucking hands off of me!” She shoved Merle's calloused hands off of her, and glared at him intensely. Daryl heard Teagan's half-yell and tensed up. He remained in the shadows, knowing Merle wouldn't hurt Teagan. Not again, anyway. What's he getting at?

“Now listen here sweetheart, you know goddamn well there is somethin to talk about. If ya keep skirtin' the issue, it'll only get worse.” Teagan remained quiet, not losing the intensity in her eyes.

“You already know what I'mma say, don't ya?” Teagan simply nodded.

“Then when? Clock's a tickin'!”

“He'll rip this place apart looking for me.” She spoke through clenched teeth. She despised the situation she was stuck in.

“Gotta make him think ya left.”

“He's smarter than that. You should know better.” She cocked her head to the side in suspicion.

“I do. I also knew he'll burn this place to the ground if yer still here.”

“He might torch it anyway.”

“Willin' to take that risk?”

Teagan didn't respond and broke eye contact. Her breaths grew shallow. Merle took this opportunity to keep talking.

“Think a these people here, hmm? That old man, them kids... Daryl?”

Teagan clenched her fists at Daryl's name. She grew very defensive and angry. “And what about you, huh? He wants your head on a pike as much as mine.” Her lips were almost in a snarl.

“You and I both know that's a lie. Yer right, he wants me dead. But you...” He paused. Teagan thought he'd break into a wicked smile, but concern flooded his face. “He wants you alive.”

Teagan fell into silence again. She tried to find another way out, but there was none. Merle waited for her to speak this time. “How the hell would I even be able to pull this off?” Her voice was low.

“That's where I come in. But if yer gonna do it, better do it quick. Beat him to a plan.”

Teagan sighed deeply and ran a hand through her hair. “When?”

Merle rubbed his chin and thought for a minute. “'Ts already been too many days. How's tonight sound?”

Teagan bit her lip and tossed around her options. She realized she only had one choice. “Fine.” Her voice caught in her throat. She swore to herself she wouldn't leave members of the group behind. Now, she was going to abandon all of them. On a slim chance the Governor will chase after me...

“You should head on back inside. People will start wakin' up. No need fer more trouble.”

Teagan went to turn away, but abruptly turned back to face Merle. “What are you going to tell him... er, them?” She winced at her mistake.

“I'll tell 'em the truth once you do yer part. Good enough fer you?”

Teagan nodded and headed back inside.

“You should head on back inside. People will start wakin' up. No need fer more trouble.”

Daryl heard the conversation die down, and left his eavesdropping post to avoid suspicion. He didn't want either of them to know he heard their conversation. The hell was they talkin' about anyway? What she gonna do? Whatever it was, he wanted to stop it. He felt uneasy at the tone of Merle's voice. Daryl hadn't heard it before. Fear? Concern? Whatever made Merle's voice sound like that must be unpleasant. Teagan dint sound too comfortable, neither. Daryl went to sit down at the make-shift dinner table. He tried to wrap his mind around the events of the past few days, and tried to figure out what Merle and Teagan discussed. They were too vague in their words to be of any help. He didn't realized he sat in a creepy silence with furrowed eyebrows. He was so focused, he hadn't seen Teagan come in.

“You feeling alright?” Her voice shattered the silence, and it almost startled Daryl.

“Yeah, 'm fine. Just, uh... tired 's all.”

Teagan left Daryl alone and went to her cell. Her plan was to pack up as much stuff as she could before other people were awake, so at night, she could do as her and Merle planned. She realized she didn't have much to pack up. She decided she was going to shower, since it might be her last opportunity for quite some time. She grabbed her necessities, and headed to the shower house without another exchange of words with Daryl. Daryl turned to watch her disappear. As her silhouette faded, Rick came out of his cell. He stretched and yawned.

“Mornin'.” Rick spoke through a second yawn.

Daryl nodded, too distracted for words. Rick seemed to move in slow motion, as Daryl contemplated telling Rick what he heard. Don't wanna be a snitch... but don't want Teagan to do somethin' stupid. He struggled with a decision before slamming his fists on the table. Rick jumped and turned to look at Daryl.

“Everything alright?” Rick asked.

“Teagan and Merle.” Rick could hardly understand Daryl's mumbling.

“Pardon?”

“Somethin's up.” Daryl retreated into himself, barely spewing words.

“Elaborate.” Rick sat down at the table across from Daryl.

Daryl made his voice real low. There was no echo to his tone. He made it so nobody would hear him but Rick, and even Rick had a hard time catching all Daryl's words. “Heard Merle n Teagan talking this mornin'. They plan on doing somethin' tonight. Somethin' involvin' the Governor.”

Rick furrowed his eyebrows. “Do you have any idea what they're planning?” Daryl shook his head.

“Do you think... I mean, is it possible that-”

Daryl cut Rick off. By the tone of Rick's voice, Daryl knew what Rick was trying to imply. Daryl got angry. “No. Neither of 'em would do that.”

Rick leaned back on his seat and inhaled deeply. “Keep an eye on her. I'll keep alert tonight, in case you need my help. Figure out what it is and put a stop to it.”

Daryl simply nodded, and the two men parted ways. Just as Rick left, Teagan returned from her shower. She could sense the tension in the room.

“What was that all about?” She rubbed a towel through her wet hair. Daryl noticed it was getting long. His stare lingered too long, and his voice fell silent.

“Are you even listening?” Teagan waved a hand in front of Daryl's face and he fell out of his trance.

“Hmm?”

“You've been acting kind of weird. Everything alright?”

Daryl huffed, and got nervous. His coping mechanism for nerves was anger. He got defensive and blurted out grumbled words. “Could say the same thing 'bout you.”

Teagan took a step back and decided not to respond. What the hell has gotten into him?