From the Shadows

Attacked

Once inside, Teagan saw that almost everyone was awake and sitting around the table. Merle stood in the corner with a annoyed look on his face.

“Did we miss something?” Teagan tried to be funny; she knew exactly what the meeting was about, and it wouldn't have started without her.

“Just in time.” Rick sat down, and Teagan joined him. Daryl decided to stay standing.

Rick didn't hesitate to start the conversation. He coughed nervously and avoided looking at Teagan. Instead, he kept flickering disapproving looks as Merle, who'd scoff and roll his eyes in response. “Sorry it had to be like this, but the group had to know. I told them about last night.”

Teagan was annoyed, but knew it was inevitable. “Understandable.” Rick was taken aback by her acceptance. “Before anyone speaks... I just want to cover my end of this. The reason I planned on leaving was because I fear your lives are at stake. If our last venture taught us anything, it's that the Governor will stop at nothing to exact his revenge. He wanted me dead, and has wanted such for a very long time. I figured if I left, he'd follow me away from here and keep you safe.”

“How can you leave after everything that has happened? You defended Merle being here because he knew the Governors tactics and plans. You know them too, and you want to leave? He wants both of you dead!” Glenn stood angrily and slammed his fists on the table.

“And you said yourself that we made him angry, too. What makes you think he still won't come after us?” Carol chirped in her piece.

Teagan somewhat rudely rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “Not to one-up anyone... but on a list of priorities, this prison falls far below that of myself and Merle. Especially me.”

“Who's to say he won't believe you're not here? He could still tear this place apart looking for you.” Maggie spoke and simultaneously calmed Glenn down.

“I understand what you're saying. Trust me, these I've thought these thoughts long before this meeting, and repeatedly.”

“Then why are you leaving?” Lori spoke up. She normally never spoke.

“I'm not.” Everyone looked stunned for a second. Even Rick seemed a bit surprised. He was sure she would still leave. “I'll have blood on my hands no matter what I do, or where I go. At least here... I can be helpful.” Everyone looked relieved, but Teagan kept talking. “Just know I can't promise you your lives. I can try my best; I'm sure everyone here will. But that man is ruthless. I am warning you now that it is likely some of us will die defending this place and ourselves against him. Please understand what you are getting into.” The joy fell from their faces one by one.

“We understand. We've been fighting for our lives since this all started.” Glenn spoke again, but much calmer.

Teagan simply nodded. The topic of conversation faded from focus, and evolved into mindless chatter. Small talk was pushed around the table for awhile, and the day proceeded like any other. People contributed to their usual chores and the children played. A ball of thorns swelled in the pit of Teagan's stomach. She had the same feeling the day Hershel's farm was taken over by a horde of walkers. She tried to drown the feeling with distraction, brushing it off as a simple fear. The tug was beyond a hypothetical danger; it felt real and close. The nagging sensation sent a shiver up Teagan's spine. The sudden worry made her mouth dry and her hands clammy. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling. Someone's going to die...

At the end of the evening, Teagan laid in bed and was overwhelmed with thoughts. What's going to happen? What am I going to do? What will the Governor do? How will all this be in a month? A week? A day? The intrusions overwhelmed her, and she unconsciously resorted to humming to calm herself. I can still hear her sing... The words were clear as day in her head, as if the actual song played.

From a little shell
At the bottom of the sea
Was the Earth and the moon
And the sun above me
But the world fell down
With some people still around
There is love, there is love
To be found
With the gods all gone
And the souls making sounds


Teagan didn't realize her humming evolved into soft singing until Daryl appeared at her cell door. She noticed him and immediately stopped singing.

“Din't know you could sing.” He kept his arms folded as he leaned against the frame. A slight smile warmed up his face.

Teagan immediately blushed, which was hard to see in the shadows of the prison. She grew fidgety and responded quickly. “I can't... not really. Sorry you heard that.”

“Nah. It was good. What song was it?”

“Uh.. just a song my mom used to sing to me.”

“Should sing it again sometime.” Words that would have been awkward months ago were now spoken with ease.

Teagan got a surge of confidence. “If we make it out of this alive, I'll sing the whole damn thing for you.”

Daryl laughed. “Deal.” Daryl coughed to signify a subject change. “You wanna go huntin' with me tomorrow?”

Teagan realized she hadn't gone hunting with Daryl in a long time. She almost jumped at the opportunity, but was still in a playful mood. “It's okay. You got Merle now, right? Don't need me.”

Daryl could tell by the smile on Teagan's face that her answer wasn't a true 'no', just banter. “You can track just as good as him. And yer nicer.”

Teagan laughed lightly and looked up at Daryl. “Yeah, sure. I'll go. Put my rusty joints back into shape.”

Daryl shook his head. “Nah. Ain't nothin' need shapin'. Get 'em right between the eyes, like always.” There was a split moment of silence before Daryl spoke again. “I'mma let you sleep. Got to git up early. Dawn okay with you?”

“Sounds fine to me.”

“”Lright then. G'night.”

“Goodnight.”

Loud crack of thunder woke Teagan from her sleep. Not a single cloud littered the sky. No, not thunder... bombs. The walls shook and sediment flew to the floor. It was hard to breathe. Teagan put a rag over her face and collected her things. Screams were coming from all directions. Screams of fear, wails of pain, and gurgles of death. The floor was soaked in blood, pooling closer and closer to Teagan's feet. The body was hidden in the shadows. Another explosion further crumpled the walls. Nobody was running around inside. Only ominous, screeching voices indicated she wasn't alone. She couldn't find an exit. Every turn carried her further into the hazy labyrinth. In the distance, she saw a silhouette standing in the distance.

“Hello?” No response.

“Are you okay? Where is everybody?”

Another loud BANG, and the back of the silhouette's head shatters into pieces, and they fall to the floor. Teagan tries to run to the body, but she never seemed to get closer. She pushed harder and faster, but the body stayed slumped on the ground.

In the distance, she heard a voice.

“Teagan... Teagan... Teagan...” The voice grew louder and louder until...


“Teagan!” She sprung back into consciousness. This isn't my room. Where am I? She surveyed the room and saw she was in the main part of the prison. Lori was holding onto her shoulders and looked concerned.

“Teagan, are you okay?”

“Yeah.. I'm fine. What's going on?”

“I think you were sleep walking. I heard you walking around and making noise.”

“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you.” Teagan felt the sweat drip down her lower back.

“Sounded like a nightmare. Everything alright?”

Teagan could clearly recollect the events of her dream. Somebody is going to die... She couldn't shake the thought from her head. She didn't want to scare Lori or anyone in the group. She kept the details to herself. “Yeah, everything's fine. Can't remember what happened. Thanks for waking me up.”

“Of course. You should try and go back to bed, get some more sleep. You looked tired.”

“I think we all do.”

Lori smiled and out a hand on her hip. “I'll be going back myself. But please, get some rest.”

“I'll try.” Teagan watched Lori return to her shared cell with Rick and Carl. Teagan sighed heavily as the ball of thorns grew in size. Teagan knew she wouldn't be able to sleep anymore, so she went into her cell and read. Once everybody was awake and walking around, Teagan walked out of her cell and pretended to stretch as if she had just woken up. She felt exhausted, but she didn't want anyone else knowing or worrying.

Teagan ran into Lori. Lori smiled and asked, “Feeling better?”

Teagan swallowed. “Actually, yeah. Feeling fine, thanks.” Lie.

“Did you at least get some rest? Can't imagine you've gotten much the past few days.”

Still haven't. “I managed a bit of shut-eye. I've always been an early bird though, no matter what time I went to bed.” Lori chuckled and went to help with breakfast.

The group decided that they should prepare as best they could for an attack from the Governor. It was decided hunting would either happen later in the day if chores were finished early, or postponed until the following day. Daryl and Merle were assigned to place weapons in strategically placed hiding and sniper spots. Glenn and Maggie parked vehicles to create more cover and defensive positions. Teagan was assigned to put blockades of metal sheets, wood slabs and pallets on some of the inner fences for more cover. To her surprise, Lori volunteered to help. Teagan wasn't very strong, so she accepted the help to move the heavy material.

Daryl and Merle wandered around the prison yard arguing over where to put the guns.

“Yer puttin' down too many!” Merle grumbled.

“We have plenty. Some inside, some on our person, some out here.”

“How many of you assholes are actually gonna be out here at any one time?”

“Just be quiet. I know what I'm doing.”

“Then why the hell you draggin' me along, huh? I got better shit to do than-” A vehicle in the distant slowly approached the prison. Merle swore under his breathe and shoved his little brother to the ground. They heard two deafening cracks from a gun. Daryl instinctively and frantically scoured the area for Teagan. He saw her and Lori fall following the gunshots. No! Daryl tried to stand to run to Teagan, but Merle held him back.

“She's a goner. Grab that damn thing and start firin'!” Daryl robotically followed instruction. Merle and Daryl were firing from their position while Maggie and Glenn fired from the watch tower. Gotta kill that fucker. Kill him. The only thing on Daryl's mind was getting to Teagan.

The Governor managed to break down one of the fences, and released a dozen walkers into the prison yard. After several rounds of exchanged gunfire, the Governor and his two men quickly sped out of sight. Everyone waited in their respective positions to ensure their safety. Luckily, the walkers were confined to the most outer tier of the prison, making them a secondary concern. Once safety was confirmed, they scrambled out like trapped rats. Daryl ran to where he last saw Teagan. She better be alive. If that sumbitch killed her, I'll do more to him than kill 'im. He ran so fast he couldn't catch his breath. Merle was only a few steps behind him. When they arrived, they were horrified with what they saw. No... A large pool of blood formed at their feet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song referenced: "From a Shell" by Lisa Germano. Please forgive me for the logical inconsistency with this song. I know the song technically would have been released long after Teagan was a child. Just pretend it is older than it actually is.