From the Shadows

The Grim Repear's Job is Never Done

Once Teagan and Lori arrived at their spot, Lori started the conversation. “Surprised they didn't ask some of the boys to do this.”

“This isn't too bad. We can manage. Just a bit of heavy lifting.”

“I can't say I enjoy physical labor too much, but housework isn't too exciting day in an day out.”

“I can't even imagine. I don't think I could be a housewife. I'd go insane.”

“It's not so bad. A lot of hard work, but it's rewarding. You ever thought about having kids?”

Teagan laughed. “No. Definitely not. Kids aren't my thing.” By now, they each grunted and huffed between every few words.

“I couldn't imagine not having Carl. He's my life. I'd do just about anything for him. Nothing can replace the bond between mother and child. Sure, they can get difficult sometimes, but it's worth it. To watch them grow and become their own unique person... You know what? If it wasn't for all this.. I can honestly say you'd make a great moth-” BANG. BANG.

In a horrifying second, Lori and Teagan were on the ground. Teagan was forced to the ground with a slight sting in her side. Her pain instantly dissipated at the sight of Lori. Her face was pale, and a giant hole gouged through her stomach. Teagan knelt beside Lori and tried to assess her wounds. Teagan's hands quickly became covered in blood.

“Lori, stay with me.” Teagan could see the color drain from Lori's face. She tried to move her hand, and Teagan held onto it. “Lori, please. Just hang on.” Lori's weakened grip slowly faded into nothing. Her hand became limp and it flopped onto the ground. “No. Lori! Please...”

Teagan checked her pulse. Nothing. She checked Lori's breathing. Nothing. Teagan began to panic. The bleeding was too heavy to try and stop. No. No this... this can't be happening! Teagan had never felt this useless before. She had seen plenty of injuries, both at her job at after the dead claimed the Earth, but she wasn't prepared for this. She looked at Lori's cold, lifeless eyes and was reminded of Dale. Teagan began to shake, and it took every ounce of effort to stop herself from crying. She reached up to Lori's face and closed her eyes. Blood from Teagan's hand smeared across Lori's eyelids. Teagan looked at her stained hands and simply froze. The urge to vomit began to settle at the bottom of her throat. Moments later, Daryl and Merle arrived at the scene. At first, they were speechless.

Merle let out an unintended “Aw shit...”

The voice startled Teagan. She stayed on the ground and helplessly stared at Lori. “It just... I can't... I don't think I can...” No sentence could be formed. Soon after Daryl and Merle arrived, the rest of the group slowly filtered around the catastrophe. The last to arrive was Rick and Carl. Rick sprinted towards his wife's body and fell to his knees, bawling. Carl stopped dead in his tracks before reaching his mother, and Carol reached over to him and held him, shielding his eyes from the bloodshed. Teagan slowly got up to give Rick some privacy. She couldn't help but stare at her stained hands. She was flooded with guilt. As she began to turn away to leave, Rick spoke.

“You...” Teagan turned to look at Rick with confusion. “This is all your fault!” Rick spoke through gritted teeth. Even from a distance, it was clear Rick wasn't himself. His eyes were wild and his shoulders were tense.

“Rick, I'm sorry, I-”

“No! Lori she's... she...” he started to cry. He looked back and Teagan and became infuriated again. “Why are you still here?”

“Wh-what?”

“You should have left...” Teagan's eyes grew wide. She didn't know how to respond. She stood there and took the abuse. I deserve it... Rick stomped over to her and shoved her. “GO!” Daryl was behind Teagan and caught her before she fell. Glenn and Merle stepped forward to stop Rick.

“Hey, Rick, what are you doing? Stop that!”

“She murdered my wife!” Rick viciously pointed in Teagan direction. Rick went to charge again, but was held back. Glenn glared at Maggie, and motioned for her to get Teagan inside. Maggie nodded and went over to where Daryl and Teagan were standing. Glenn and Merle stayed to help calm Rick down.

“Let's get her inside.” Daryl nodded, and they both helped her inside.

Her limbs felt numb and separate from her body. Her head was spinning and she felt cold on the inside. There was an incessant ringing in her ears; she wanted to crawl into a hole. She didn't realize she was moving until there was a sudden loss of light as they entered the prison.

“Let's sit her down over here.” Daryl followed instruction and slowly guided Teagan to a sitting position. Teagan's face was stark white, and her eyes were wide, and her stare endless.

“See if you can get her to calm down, I'll get my dad.” Maggie left Daryl alone with Teagan. He knelt in front of her, looking at her. She didn't look back at him; she could only stare at her hands.

“Hey.” No response. “Hey, look at me.” No movement. He gently reached up and grabbed her chin. He rotated her stare towards him. Her eyes were round and glassy, on the verge of tears. “You alrigh'?” He knew she wasn't, but he wanted her to talk.

“She's dead.” Her voice was just above a whisper. Her stare pierced through him. She was facing him, and her eyes met his, but she wasn't looking at him.

“I know. Yer gonna be okay.”

“She's... dead.”

Daryl grew more concerned. She seemed lost in herself and in shock. “Teagan, listen ta me. Yer gonna be alrigh'. Maggie's getting Hershel now.”

“It's my fault...”

“No. No it ain't. Don't say that.”

“They shot her... trying to... kill me...”

“Hey, this ain't yer fault. Don't blame yerself. Yer gonna be alrigh'.” Her hands were shaking. Daryl went to hold them but remembered they were still covered in blood. He lightly grabbed her wrists, but felt silly. He shook his head and held her hands anyway. He glanced at her side and saw more blood.

“Did you get shot?” She shook her head 'no'.

Daryl let go of one of her hands. “Can I take a look?” She nodded. He reached for her side and saw fresh blood. He peeled away the fabric of her shirt around her waist and saw a graze wound. He bit his lip. Probably looks worse than it is. Wait fer Hershel. He kept calm and didn't draw attention to her wound. He drew circles in her palms with his thumbs. He saw Maggie and Hershel walk in.

“I'll be right back, okay? I ain't leavin'.” He half-whispered at Teagan. She nodded and stayed sitting. Daryl walked up to Hershel and kept his voice low. “She ain't alright. Think she's in shock er sumthin. Hurt, too.”

“How so?”

“Bullet grazed her side. She don't even know she got shot. Can't feel a thing.”

Hershel shook his head and ran a hand over the back of his neck. “Let me take a look at her and see what I can do.”

“And Rick...? How's he doin'?”

“He's calmed down. They're keepin' an eye on him.” Daryl nodded in reply.

They walked over to Teagan. She looked less distraught, but still seemed lost.

Hershel's soft voice soothed her. “How are you feeling? Any pain?” She shook her head. “Can I take a look at your side?”

“How's Rick?” She looked Hershel dead in the eyes.

“He's alright, let's take a look at you.”

“And Carl?”

Hershel sighed. “Teagan, you're hurt. I need to take a look at you.”

“I don't feel anything.”

“That may be the problem. Lift up your arms.” She did as she was told and Hershel knelt down to look at her wound. “A bit deep, but clean. Needs cleanin' and stitchin'.” Maggie dug through the medical bag with dwindling supplies and handed her father what he needed. He went to dose out local anesthesia, but Teagan stopped him.

“I told you, I can't even feel it.”

“Just to be sure. Don't need you fidgeting mid-stitch.”

“Save it. You know I can sit still.” I need to feel something... anything besides guilt.

Hershel hesitated, and went on without using pain-killers. He got a glare from Maggie, but Hershel shook his head at her. Throughout the procedure, Teagan never flinched or twitched. Once done, she lowered her arms down and said nothing more.

“Looks like you'll be alright. I'll check on it every so often to check for infection.” Teagan made no reply. Hershel and Daryl exchanged glances, and Maggie and Hershel left the cell block, whispering to each other.

Daryl walked back over to Teagan. He grabbed her hand and lightly tugged. “Come on.” She meekly followed, and he led her to the shower house. He pulled out the handkerchief from his pocket and wet it. “Let's get you cleaned up.”

They stood in silence as Daryl gently cleaned the congealed blood off her hands. He was naturally rough-handed, but he tried to being soft. Once the cloth was stained, he went to rinse it out and keep going.

“Don't.” Teagan spoke. Daryl look at her confused. “You don't have to keep going. I can do this myself.” Her voice struggled for confidence and strength, but wavered.

“I don't mind.” He went to reach for her hands again, but she pulled away.

“Please...” She looked as if she'd cry. Daryl lowered his hands, and didn't know what to do, so he nodded. He watched her walk away and head back into the main part of the prison. I hope she'll be alright...
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. I just wanted to say that it was hard killing Lori. I tried to kill her more similarly to the comic book than the show. I don't like how they killed her in Season 3, but much preferred her demise from the comic. Please leave some comments!