From the Shadows

Missing

When Teagan woke up, Daryl's arm was draped over her. He didn't hold her very tightly, but his hand cradled hers. Teagan didn't dare move. She felt strange. She had never felt this kind of affections towards anyone before, but it felt almost natural. She felt more safe and more comfortable with Daryl than at any previous point in her life. She took in a deep breathe and let it out slowly. She laid in silence, pretending to be asleep, until Daryl woke up. He stretched and groaned, and realized his arm was over Teagan. He slowly pulled it back, and Teagan pretended to wake up and roll over.

“Sorry.” Daryl felt awkward. He had craved this kind of intimate and personal closeness for a long time. Bullies like Merle and his own father barraged Daryl for such feelings, so Daryl began cutting off from the world. If he didn't feel emotions besides anger, he wouldn't have to worry about getting too close to someone. The tactic was partially used to protect himself as well. Daryl was immensely loyal and protective. If something happened to the people he cared about, he'd never be able to let it go.

“Hmm?” Teagan rubbed her eyes. She yawned and sat up, stretching her arms and cracking her back.

“Nothin'.” If I move too fast, or maybe even at all, she'll leave again.

“We should probably head down for breakfast. There will be a service soon.”

Daryl heard the melancholy in her voice. “Nah. Don't start that shit. Not yet. We just woke up.” He tried sounding playful, but he meant it.

There was a long pause. Teagan shifted her body to the end of the bed and started putting her boots on. “Carl talked to me yesterday.”

“Really?” Daryl joined Teagan in putting on his shoes.

“Yeah. After I... uh, left you... I went to my room and he stood in the doorway crying.”

“What'd he say?”

“That he doesn't blame me.” Both Daryl and Teagan finished tying their shoes at the same time. They each rested on their knees.

“Did you expect him to blame you?”

“Kind of. I mean, after my mother, I threw blame at anything and anyone I could. I guess I couldn't cope like he is.”

“Different world.”

“Yeah...” There was another long pause. “He said Rick doesn't blame me... not even Lori... if she could.”

“Nobody blames you.”

“I blame myself. I'm sure even Rick blames me a little bit.”

“Nah. He was upset, and had every right to be. He'll come around. Rick, and everybody else, wants you here.”

“Let's hope you're right... Rick might decide it's best for me to leave.”

“No one would let that happen. Rick might be in charge, but if he ain't in his right sense, the rest of us will step in and take care of the shit that needs takin' care of.” There was some silence. “Come'on. Let's get some food.” Daryl stood up and lent out a hand to help Teagan stand. She took it, and Daryl helped her to her feet.

They walked down the stairs and saw most of the group at the table eating in dead silence. Glenn looked up from his plate and saw Teagan and Daryl together, and raised an eyebrow. He ignored it and went back to his food. Carol ushered them to two empty seats and brought them food. Teagan noticed she had significantly more food on her plate.

“Why does mine have more?”

“I noticed you didn't eat last night. Everyone else did. Thought I'd give you more.”

“We need to ration. Save half of this for later.”

“But you need to eat.”

“My mishap shouldn't cost the rest f the group. More people than just me need to eat. Please, save it.”

Daryl piped in with a mouth full of food. “We'll go out today an' get somethin' more ta eat. Go on 'n' eat.”

Teagan slightly glared at him for disagreeing with her. She asked the question that churned her stomach. “When's Lori's service.”

“Whenever Rick gets back.” Carol answered her while mindlessly collecting dirty plates.

“'Gets back'? Where did he go?”

“He disappeared. In the middle of the night, I saw him pacing. I tried to talk to him but he ignored me. It was like he wasn't even there.” Glenn sounded concerned.

“We should go look for him. Maybe he's deeper in the prison. He could be lost.” Teagan stood up quickly, but was stopped halfway when Daryl grabbed her arm.

“No, not yet.” Daryl finished eating and spoke up.

“Excuse me? We need to find Rick.”

“And we have no idea where to start. Even if he is in there, the inside got cleaned out real good last time. He knows how to take care of himself.”

Teagan dropped her voice low so only Daryl could hear. By now, most of the table had cleared. “If it was anyone else in there, you'd go without a second thought. Why are you hesitating?”

“'Cause Rick needs his space. I'll make you a deal. We go out an' get some food an' supplies. If he ain't back by the time we are, I'll go in there with ya.”

“He may not have the kind of time.”

“He ain't lost. He may not even be in there. Stop gamblin' your damn life away.”

“Carl's already lost one parent.” She took a deep breath and swallowed hard. “He doesn't need to lose a second. The group needs Rick and-”

“Carl won't be losin' Rick. Rick can take care of himself. If you want to help the group, help me hunt today. Don't go in there risking your life. This group needs you just as much as they need Rick.”

Daryl didn't break eye contact the entire argument. He kept his stance sturdy and his voice strong. Teagan knew Daryl was at least partially right. She was more worried about Carl than Rick. She knew Rick could take care of himself, but she didn't know if Carl could handle his father's absence.

“And Carl? You going to tell him to sit in a corner and just wait for us to get back?”

Daryl sighed and rubbed his neck. “Listen ta me, alright? Rick ain't himself right now, and nothin' you do or say can change that. Even if ya go in there and ya find him, he won't come out until he's ready. He has his weapons, and nobody's heard a single bullet bein' shot. He's alright.” He paused to look at her, but she couldn't make eye contact. “'Sides, I made you a deal. And I'm sticking to it.” He tried to sound encouraging and supportive.

Teagan looked up at him and bit her lip. She looked towards to door leading to the interior of the prison and sighed. “Fine. Let's go.”

She started to walk away before Daryl spoke again. “Ya didn't finish eating.”

“Not hungry.” She walked to her room to gather some of her things; water bottle, knives, gun, bow and quiver. She met Daryl by the gate. They got into a vehicle, and they met Michonne and Andrea who were on watch.

“You guys going to be okay out there?” Andrea asked. She had softened up since the farm. Teagan wasn't sure if Andrea liked her or not, but Andrea at least didn't act like she hated Teagan.

“We'll be fine. Be back before dark.” The four exchanged nods. Michonne and Andrea opened the gate, letting Daryl and Teagan drive away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! Sorry for the long time between updates. Studying and homework are taking up A LOT of my time this semester, and even in my free time, I am too exhausted to write. I know the chapter is a bit short without much action, but I should have some more soon! Once my classes are over, I will focus a lot of my time on this story and making sure it is written well. Hope you enjoy it!