From the Shadows

The Messenger

On the way back to the car, the sun set quickly. Teagan walked towards the driver side of the car. It was usually an unspoken deal that in one direction you are the passenger, and in the other the driver. Daryl walked over to the driver side as well, and stood in front of the door.

Teagan's exhausted eyes looked up at him. “Come on. It's getting dark. Let's go.”

“Nah. I'll drive.”

“But you drove us here.”

“So? I don't mind drivin'. 'Sides, you saved my ass today. Least I could do is drive.” He didn't want to mention how noticeably tired and worn-out she looked. He would have intended it as trying to be nice and ease her of responsibility; she would have been insulted and would have been angry at herself for being outwardly weak.

During the drive, both Daryl and Teagan were quiet. She partially curled up in the seat with her eyes closed. Daryl couldn't help but look at her. Even covered in blood and mud, she's beautiful. I wish I could always keep ya safe... no more of this life-riskin'. I want you to make it through all this.

Without moving her head, Teagan spoke. “I'm not asleep you know.”

Daryl was yanked from his trance. “Hmm?”

“I can feel you staring at me.” She turned to him and smiled slightly. Her voice was playful, but her eyes were sad.

“Don't know what yer talkin' about.” He coughed and focused on the road. Teagan shifted her body to face the road, too. She winced and hissed, and tried to hide it. Daryl noticed. “Take it easy. I don't mind if ya sleep.”

She scoffed. “I do.”

“Why's that? Hell knows you need it. We all do.”

Teagan seemed to stare into a new universe; unfocused and cold. “The unconscious is worse than any reality.” She cracked her knuckles and stretched her arms.

“How can you say that when the dead are walkin'?”

“I can kill a walker. I've already killed dozens... hundreds of them. I can't kill memories. Can't even change them. I'll take a walker any day.”

Daryl wasn't used to Teagan speaking so openly and sounding so vulnerable. Somethin' changed back at that hospital. “None of that shit matters anymore. Don't matter what you did. Everyone's slate started clean when the first walker rose.”

“Can't decide if I was better before or after shit fell apart. I can say I'm happier now, but not necessarily better.”

“Rules change as the world does. What was once 'bad' or even 'good' ain't no more. Survive and protect. That's where yer focus should be; not on being everyone's friend. Not on bein' a saint. If you walk out of the world nowadays a saint, you did somethin' wrong.”

The prison slowly crept into view. It was hard to see in the dark; but the massive structure was hard to miss.

“Kill the lights.” Teagan spoke. Her posture was stiff.

“Why?”

“Just do it! I'll explain later.”

Daryl did as was asked of him and turned the lights off. “You know, can't see shit now. You expect me to drive in the da- where the fuck are you going?”

Teagan had already opened her car door and was stepping out.

“Goddamnit Teagan, answer me!”

“I saw something in the bushes... a light or something.”

“And you feel it necessary to check it out? If there are walkers, you won't even see 'em. Moon's gone tonight.”

“Don't need to see them if I can hear them. That thing I saw isn't a walker or an animal.”

“What dumb person would hide out in the bushes at night? If they're that stupid, they're also dangerous. Get back in the car!”

“Just stay here. If we get any closer, they'll hear the car and run. Has to be on foot.”

“Teagan, forget it. We almost didn't make it out today. Just get it the fucking car!”

Teagan ignored Daryl's request. She quietly closed the car door. Daryl could hardly see her walking away. “Shit.” He swore to himself. Daryl grabbed the keys out of the ignition and locked the car. Once on foot, he couldn't see her. It was too dark, and he couldn't risk using a flashlight. Calling her name would also warn whatever walker, or mysterious person, as to his whereabouts. He took slow steps in the direction he thought he saw Teagan walk. After a few minutes, he saw a frantic light in the distance followed by screeches of pain. He ran towards the sound. He was exhausted, and his legs burned. How fucking far is it? He happened upon Teagan's whereabouts at full running speed, nearly knocking her over. She was pinning a man up against a tree.

“Jesus Christ, Daryl!”

Daryl stood to catch his breath. “Are you stupid?” He looked at the strangers panicked eyes. Teagan held a knife to his throat.

“What are you doing here?” Teagan glared at the scared young man. He didn't speak. She pressed the knife closer to his skin. “Why are you here?” The man still didn't speak.

Daryl saw the flames in Teagan's eyes. He took pity on the stranger. “If you don't answer her, she'll kill you.”

The panicked man spoke; his voice stuttered. “I-I-I just came here to g-give you this note. That's all. N-n-no harm meant. Just a messenger. Please don't kill me.”

“And what message is that?” The man went to reach into his pocket, which Daryl interpreted as him drawing a weapon. Daryl raised his crossbow and aimed at the stranger's head.

“If that's a weapon, don't even try.”

“N-n-no. It was written down. J-just some paper. I promise.” He slowly reached into his pocket and pulled out a neatly folded note. Teagan grabbed it. She nodded at Daryl to keep his weapon drawn as she stepped away to read it.

Her eyes grew wide, and her brows furrowed. “Is this some fucking joke?”

“N-no I swear. I saw him write it h-himself. It's meant for your leader.”

“How does he expect us to trust him?” Teagan was angry.

“That's why it wasn't meant for you.” The man was scared, but found his voice. “Please give it to your leader.”

Teagan turned to him. The flame in her eyes died, and ice took over. Her jaw was strong and her hands steady. “If you even think about trying to attack us, you'll be dead before your weapon is raised.” Teagan walked off without another word or gesture. She tucked the note away into her own pocket and clenched her fists.

Daryl was left with a crossbow aimed at the messenger's head. The stranger didn't dare move. Daryl lowered her crossbow. “Get the hell out of here.” The stranger nodded and ran in the opposite direction. Daryl jogged to catch up to Teagan, but she was already sitting in the car. Daryl got behind the wheel and drove the short distance to the prison. They arrived at the gate, and Michonne and Maggie let them in. Daryl pulled the car into the prison yard, and the gate was closed. Daryl and Teagan got out of the car and were abruptly greeted with panicked relief.

“Thank god you guys made it. We thought we lost you. What took you so long?” Maggie held her hand on her hips. She took on the look of a disappointed but relieved mother.

“Just caught by a bit of surprise. We got a lot of stuff this time; shouldn't need to make any big runs for awhile.” Teagan spoke. She felt her knees begin to shake from exhaustion.

Maggie got a better look at Daryl and Teagan, focusing more on the latter. Her eyes widened, and she brought a hand to her open mouth. “What happened to you two? Are you alright?!”

“We're alright. Tired is all. Just need some food 'n' rest.” Daryl grunted.

“That's good to hear. Come inside, quick. We saved some dinner for you. Oh and uh... there's somethin' you might want to see.”

Teagan and Daryl exchanged worried looks. The four walked to the prison, each with a bag of supplies. Once inside, Daryl and Teagan were greeted by nearly everyone in the prison.

“We were so worried about you.”

“Glad you guys are okay.”

Hershel walked up to Daryl and Teagan with the worried eyes of a grandfather. “What did you two get into this time? Need looking at?” He motioned to Teagan's head injury. His voice was soft.

“Before we get into all that, I've got something for you.” She pulled off her bag and handed it to Hershel. “For you.”

Hershel grabbed at the bag cautiously. He wasn't expecting the weight, and the bag nearly hit the ground. “You carried this all the way here?” Teagan simply smiled. Hershel opened the bag and his eyes warmed and glistened. He put the bag down and hugged Teagan. To everyone's surprised, she didn't back away. She winced slightly at Hershel's tight squeezing. “Did you want to help me with this?”

“Yeah, of course. Not as much as the first time, though.”

“That's quite alright. More than we would have had without it. Thank you.” Teagan looked around and couldn't find who she was looking for. Her eyes widened and as scoured the room with her eyes.

“Something the matter?” Hershel's voice was always friendly.

“Yeah. Where's Rick?” Daryl heard Teagan's question and walked over to her.

“Oh, he's around. He came back an hour or so after you two left. Now don't worry, he didn't wander back in there. He's just talking to some guests.”

“What guests?” Teagan's mind instantly flashed back to the messenger.

“Not quite sure. Rick wanted to speak to them before introducing the group. They were wandering around inside the prison. Not sure how they got there. Was there something you needed him for?”

“Just needed to give him something.” Just as Teagan finished her statement, Rick walked back into the main part of the cell block. His face was emotionless and lost.

Rick spoke with a demanding voice. “Our visitors are new to these parts. They've been wandering around for quite awhile. They want to know if they can join our group.” Rick's group stayed silent. Rick made eye contact with Teagan, and he nodded at her. Approval? Acceptance? What does that mean? “Any comments?” Silence. “No? Good. I propose we send them on their way.”

“Wait, that's it? Do they have any skills?” Teagan piped in.

“Does it matter? They could know the Governor. Could be dangerous.” Rick argued.

“Did you have Merle see them? Merle would remember who was in Woodbury.”

“Merle's been gone awhile. Could have showed up since then.”

“'Awhile'? The Governor wouldn't trust any wanderer to be his spy in that short of time.” Teagan looked to Merle.

“Introduced myself to 'em. Haven't seen 'em at Woodbury.”

“I said no. No more mouths to feed. No more saving lives. We focus on us. On our group.”

“We can't turn everyone away. If they've survived this long, they have to have some useful skill. Sharpshooting? Strong? Fighter? Anything. Why lose more lives? We can help them, and they could help us.” Teagan's voice cracked.

Rick squared his shoulders and crossed his arms over his chest. His glare was vicious. “If you're so afraid of losing more lives, then don't bring anymore in!” Daryl put a hand on Teagan to calm her down. He could feel her shaking. The group stayed silent, not wanting to make eye contact with a clearly tense Rick. “So, it's settled then. They leave tomorrow.”

“Should we give them so food to go? They probably haven't eaten for days.” Carol's caring nature never ceased.

“We won't waste supplies on strangers. We hardly have enough to feed our own.”

Teagan addressed Carol, ignoring Rick's comment. “Daryl and I just got a bunch of food today. Least we can do is send them with something. We can always go out and get more. The town we went to was hardly touched.” Teagan could feel the burn from Rick's glare on her neck. She felt stupid for standing in the way of his authority, especially since she still had to talk to him. She sighed deeply and swore at herself, kicking at the ground.

As Rick began to leave, Teagan called out to him. “H-hey Rick, got a second?”

He turned around with a stern face. She could see in his eyes he was still angry. “Hmm?”

“Daryl and I ran into one of the Governor's men outside. Just a messenger. He wanted me to give you this.” She held out the folded note.

Rick roughly grabbed it and read it to himself. His brows furrowed and he scratched his chin. He grunted and walked past Teagan to Hershel. They discussed amongst themselves for a few minutes before talking to Daryl. Teagan couldn't hear the conversation, but Daryl's face was overwhelmed. He didn't say a word to Rick or Hershel the entire conversation until their departure.