From the Shadows

Just Teagan

When Teagan woke up, she was alone. The spot next to her had grown cold. She sat up quickly and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. The room was still dark, no light seeped through the poorly covered windows. “Daryl?” She kept her voice somewhat quiet. She stretched and as she got out of bed, she nearly tripped over Daryl's crossbow. Where is he? Why did he not bring this? Teagan tried to keep herself calm. She quickly put on her shoes and grabbed her pocket knife from her bag. She tip-toed out of the room, knife ready. She walked down a corridor, listening intently for any noise. She was about to give up and head back to bed when heavy footsteps stomped right behind her. She spun around quickly and swung her blade. Her wrist was caught by Daryl.

“Jesus shit Daryl. You scared the shit out of me.”

“Yeah? You nearly stuck me with that damn blade. Watch where yer swingin' it.”

“Don't sneak up on me then.”

“The hell you doin' walkin' around in the dark anyway?”

“Could ask you the same question.”

“Just, uh, needed ta piss.”

“Why don't you have your crossbow?”

“Why would I need that just to take a piss?”

“Do you normally sweat profusely when you take a piss?”

Daryl wiped his forehead with his hand and grunted with frustration. “Doesn't concern you.”

“Wait, what doesn't concern me? What happened?”

“I said drop it.

Teagan took a step back and crossed her arms over her chest. “What the hell is your problem?”

“Keep yer voice down.” Daryl whispered roughly.

“Tell me what the fuck is going on.”

“Please, not now. Let's go back ta-”

“No. Something is wrong and I want to know what. You can't just disappear on the middle of the night and expect me to believe everything is fine. Do I look stupid to you?”

Daryl couldn't make eye contact with her. “No.” He sighed and slumped his shoulders. “Come back to bed.”

“No.” She couldn't explain or even rationalize how frustrated she was. She felt like a stubborn child.

“Teagan...” He took the few steps closer to her and reached for her hands. “Come back to bed and I'll tell ya. Not out here. Ain't saying shit out here.” When she didn't budge, he kept talking. “I promise I'll tell ya. Just come on. Ain't safe at night.”

Teagan recalled the only two times Daryl had ever promised her anything. When he rescued me from the Governor, he promised he wouldn't hurt me. Then he promised he wouldn't leave. He broke the first promise by making the second. She sighed softly. “Okay.”

Daryl held her hand gently the entire way back to his room. He guided her in and closed the door quietly behind her.

“Sit down.” Daryl instructed, and Teagan followed suit. “Look, uh, there ain't no easy way ta say this...” He lowered his head.

Teagan lowered her head and looked up into his eyes. “You can tell me.”

“Last night after dinner... Rick asked me to, well... Him and Hershel...”

“What is it?”

He closed his eyes and held his head in his hands. “We're goin' ta see the Governor tomorrow.”

“You? Why?” Teagan's eyebrows furrowed. She ripped her stare away from him and stared in front of here.

“Rick wanted me and Hershel ta go with him. No one else.”

“And you're actually going?”

“Have to. No one else can fill in for me. Not safe for you, Michonne or Merle ta go. No one else can fight.”

“Why Hershel?”

“I think he's the 'voice of reason'.”

“I don't want you near that guy.” She blurted through clenched teeth,

“I'll be safe. He don't know my face and doesn't know I'm Merle's brother. Can't go wrong.”

“Have you guys never thought of this being an ambush?” She looked at Daryl with betrayed, angry eyes.

“That's why I'm goin'. Look...” He sighed and looked back at her. “I wasn't supposed ta tell you that. None of this. But I wanted you ta here it from me where we're goin', so you know where I'm at. I'm gonna be alright.”

“You know better than to think those words actually mean anything. Nobody is safe anymore. I told you the same damn thing and look where that ended up.” She stood up abruptly and paced the floor.

“It'll be real quick. Back 'fore dark, back 'fore you can even worry.”

Teagan scoffed. “There isn't a second of my life I'm not worried about something.”

“There could be peace at the end of this meeting.”

“You don't actually believe that, do you?”

“Rick does. Hershel does. Hell, why can't I?”

“If he wanted peace, he would've traded hostages for services or supplies. As far as I can recall, torture isn't a 'good Samaritan' deed. He'd be a fucking war criminal if it were the old-”

“Ain't the old world.” Daryl stood up and grabbed Teagan's shoulders. “I've said it 'fore, I'll say it again. I don't know what went on at Woodbury, and it ain't my business ta know unless you tell me. But we gotta give this a chance. It's the only one we got. I know you hate him an' you got ev'ry right to. Hell, I hate him to for what he did to ya. But if we can walk out of this peacefully, if we can somehow make this work, then ain't no more lives gotta be lost. Ain't gotta worry about us getting' killed by his hand.”

“I swear to god if your head or any other part of you comes back here in a goddamn box-” Her voice croaked.

“I'll be damned if I don't come back in one piece. Ya hear me?” Daryl looked directly into Teagan's eyes. He pulled her in and wrapped his arms around her tense shoulders. She reciprocated the embrace by snaking her arms around his waist. She breathed in deeply and gently pulled away.

She laughed. “Dixon if you die, I'll kick your ass.”

Daryl chuckled. “That's all the deterrent I need. I've seen what you can do. Don't want none of that on my ass.”

She punched his arm lightly. “Let's go back to bed. And no disappearing this time.”

“You got it Captain... uh...” He paused and contorted his face.

“What?”

“I don't think I ever learned your last name.”

Teagan chuckled and slipped into bed. “You really want to know?”

“Yeah, I guess. You know mine. Probably know everybody's here.” Daryl pulled off his shoes and clumsily plopped into bed. When she didn't reply, he whined. “Aw come on, can't be that bad.”

She sighed sleepily and responded in a near whisper. “Conall.”

“Conall? Teagan Conall. Hmm..”

“Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like 'Daryl Dixon' does it?”

He repeated her name again. “Teagan Conall.” He chuckled.

“What's so funny?” She sounded playfully offended.

“Nothin' just... I like it.”

“'You like it'? It's just a name.”

“Nahh. Not just any name. It's your name.” Teagan closed her eyes into a grimace and Daryl could feel her muscles tense. “What's wrong?”

“Not mine. The first owner of that wretched name has been dead for nearly ten years, and it died with him. That name isn't mine.” She felt bad for snapping at Daryl. She went to turn to him to apologize but he spoke before she had a chance.

“Don't apologize. I get it.” His voice was sad.

“What?”

“Don't matter. I'm sorry, alright? I met you as Teagan, and you'll stay just 'Teagan'. I don't want ta go to sleep with you angry at me.”

“I'm not angry. I'm sorry I just...” She sighed.

“Shhh.” He wrapped his arms around her again. “Trust me, I get it. Don't apologize. Let's try and get one good night's rest 'fore tomorrow.”

Teagan sighed deeply and was asleep within minutes.

When Teagan awoke, she felt as if she never slept. The spot beside her on the bed was cold and she began to panic. Shit. Not again. She sat up quickly and rubbed her eyes, scooting off the bed. She was swearing under her breath when a deep, gravelly voice interrupted.

“Calm down. I didn't disappear. Just needed to start gettin' ready.”

“What time is it?”

“Sun's only been up for a short time. Try and get more sleep, don't think ya slept well.”

Teagan spoke through a yawn. “What makes you say that?”

Daryl chuckled. “Had my own personal earthquake all night.”

“Oh, sorry.”

“It's alright. Couldn't sleep well anyway. Put on yer boots and let's get breakfast.”

Teagan stretched and put on her boots. They walked down the stairs together to only see Carol awake. Carol looked up from piecing together breakfast and addressed Daryl. “They are already outside waiting for you. Take your time to eat, they just got up themselves.”

Daryl grunted and took a seat. He shoveled canned fruit and oatmeal into his mouth and was done before Teagan even started to eat. He stood up, wiped his mouth on his sleeve and walked out of the prison. Teagan watched him walk out and stirred her food around, not actually eating any of it. She stood up to leave when Carol spoke. “You really need to eat, Teagan. You haven't eaten a lot, and we have enough food to go around now. No excuses.”

“I'll be back. Just going out for a minute.” Teagan stood and watched Daryl help Rick and Hershel load the car with some supplies. Daryl saw her and walked over to her.

“We're gonna get goin'.”

“I know. Just wanted to see you out.”

“Don't give me that face. It'll be fine, alrigh'? We'll all be back before it gets dark.”

“Holding you to that. Drive safe.”

“Will do.” He turned, and Teagan watched Daryl walk back to the car. The gates were open, and as the car drove away, Daryl waved at Teagan. She waved back and walked inside. She sat down where she left her food and ate everything.

“Still hungry? Got some more.”

Teagan hesitated. She knew she was hungry when canned peaches and bland oatmeal tasted like the best meal she had ever eaten. “Actually, yeah. I'm starving.”

“Glad to see you eat. A little bit of oatmeal goes a long way, fortunate for us.”

Teagan stared blankly as she ate and Carol sat down across from her. “You worried about him?”

The question caught Teagan by surprise and she nearly choked on sticky oatmeal. “What?”

Carol couldn't help but smile. “You honestly think nobody here would notice? You two care about each other. A blind man from a mile away could see that. You don't have to worry about him. He can take care of himself.”

“I know he can. It's just...” She sighed. She had a hard enough time talking to Daryl about personal issues, let alone anyone else in the group.

“I understand. Try and distract yourself today. Then he'll be home before you even know it.” Carol smiled and left Teagan to finish her second helping by herself. Get back to me safe, Dixon. Please.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers! Thanks so much for sticking with my story this far! It's my very first story, and I couldn't be happier with how it has turned out. So many of you seem to like it, which truly inspires me to keep writing!

As a note, I will be leaving in a day for vacation. I have a chapter or two already written, but I may not be able to post it while I am away. At the latest, I should have the next chapter by early January. I hope all your holidays have gone well, and I hope your New Year's is exciting! Leave me some comments to return home to!​​​​