From the Shadows

The Missing Redneck

Hershel told Teagan that Daryl was missing, and she prepared to leave.

“We don't know where he is. All I know is my horse came back without him.”

“I'll go search around for him.”

She followed where the horse tracks started, and followed them. She was worried she might not find him before nightfall, since a horse could move a lot faster than she could. She pursued, until the tracks became chaotic. They were smooth, then a spot on the path was wild and disturbed, with no distinguishable prints. To the side, some of the plants were flattened. This must be where she ran off. Where is he?

While Teagan was gone, the group discussed her fate. Glenn did not tell the group what Teagan had told him about wanting to leave. He wanted to give her a chance, in case she changed her mind. Almost everyone in the group had something to say.

Andrea spoke first, in an irritated and strong tone, “I don't think she should be here. We know nothing about her. And according to Glenn and Daryl, she single-handedly killed off four guys. Not walkers, people.”

“Yeah, but, they were trying to hurt her,” Glenn retorted.

“How do you know? Can you trust her? What if she wants us dead?” Andrea was convinced Teagan was a monster.

“If she wanted us dead, we'd be dead. We didn't wrong her like those guys, she has no reason.” Dale chimed in, and Andrea rolled her eyes at this comment, and scoffed.

“She can hunt a-and fend for herself. She could be a huge help,” Glenn was pushing hard for her, knowing it was useless.

“You said she was on her own, right? How do we know she can play nice?” Shane's deep voiced boomed him. He also didn't want her around. He felt threatened. Not because he felt she was dangerous, but she was independent and strong. She might see through him...

“Hershel said she was an EMT. She's got medical experience. We could use that,” expressed Rick.

“We have Hershel for that. And Daryl for hunting. Do we need someone else?” Lori's opinion surprised everyone.

“We could use another person. What if something happened to Hershel? Or Daryl? We need someone else who can take care of those things.” Dale was adamant. He was always in support of giving people a chance.

“Besides, it's not safe for Daryl to go out alone all the time. If something happened, we'd never know.” Carol was quiet, but sincere. Her voice spoke from experience, that her little girl was alone. She didn't want anyone else to be alone, or to lose anyone else.

“Let's at least give her a chance. If she screws up, kick her out. No big deal, right?” T-dog added in, and people around him nodded in agreement.

“So it's settled then?” Rick questioned.

Andrea, upset at her minority, demanded a vote.

Andrea and Shane voted no, Lori abstained, and the rest said yes. Rick agreed to tell Teagan their decision, but was stopped by Glenn.

“Hey Rick, can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Yeah, what ya need?”

“Well, I talked to Teagan earlier, while on the run. She said she wasn't going to stay. Period. But I think we should convince her otherwise. It's dangerous out there. She managed before but, it's getting worse and I-”

Rick cut him off. “I understand. I'll talk to her.” Rick patted Glenn's shoulder, and then walked inside. Glenn took in a deep breath, and walked away. Everyone assumed their previous positions. Lori and Carol preparing dinner, Andrea keeping watch on the motor home, but where were Teagan and Daryl? They hadn't come back yet, and Rick was growing worried.

Teagan peered over the edge of the ravine to see Daryl's lifeless body lying on the ground. Shit. Shit shit shit. He better be alive... The drop was at least fifteen feet down. She looked around for a short while to see if there was an easier way to get down. Without much luck, Teagan decided to use a seemingly dead tree to ease herself down, and lessen the drop to the ground. She clumsily landed in the ravine a few feet from Daryl. She slowly approached, in case he had died and turned. She heard breathing, grabbed his wrist and found a pulse. Thank god. She saw an arrow had impaled his side, similar to hers from several days ago. She tended to his wounds as best she could without having brought medical supplies with her. It was getting late. Once she got them out of the ravine, she could make it back by nightfall. The problem lied in actually getting out of the ravine. She sat Daryl up against the rocks and gave him some water. He lightly coughed, sputtered and came to life. With heavy eyes, he managed to look at her face.

“Tha hell you doin' here?”

“Saving your ass. Can you walk?”

Daryl grumbled, and shifted his body, and hissed at the pain in his side. Teagan lent him a hand to help him up, and he took it. Daryl was awkwardly brought to his feet, and Teagan offered to help support his weight.

“I can do it mahself.”

“Yeah, and hurt yourself again. Help me figure a way out of here...”

They thought for awhile, Daryl unsteady on his feet. They wandered down a ways and found a shorter side of the ravine.

“How bought I hoist ya up, and you pull me after ya.”

“Do you have the strength to do that?”

“You got tha strength to pull me up after?”

She nodded at his retaliation. They found another tree, sturdier than the one before, and prepared to crawl out. “Are you sure you can do this?” Teagan asked.

“Just hurry yer shit up an' les' go.”

Daryl knelt down, put his hands out for her to step up, and hoisted her up. Three-quarters of the way, he became weak and started to tumble, but Teagan half-jumped, grabbed onto the roots and pulled herself up.

“You alright down there?” She said with a smile, knowing it would rile him up.

“Yeah, 'm fine.” He stood up and dusted himself off.

Teagan braced her shoulder against the tree, and held out her arms as far down as they'd go. “You'll have to jump. From there, I got you.”

Daryl jumped, and they clasped hands. He was heavier than she expected, but she could still do it. He dug his shoes into the rocks and dirt and tried to pull himself up as Teagan pulled him. Her shoulder began to ache, but she kept pulling. His torso was resting on the edge when her shoulder audibly popped, loud enough for Daryl to hear, and it sent white, hot pain through her arm and towards her neck. She hissed and squeaked, and Daryl lifted himself the rest of the way.

“You alrigh'?”

Teagan's eye were clenched shut. His voice sounded like it was from under water. “Uhm, y-yeah. Fine.. just...” She knew how to fix a dislocated shoulder. She just needed a proper brace. She grabbed a small twig with her good hand and placed it between her teeth, and braced her bad hand against the tree.

“Ya know what yer doin'? 'S dislocated?”

“Yeah. Done it plenty of times.” her marbled words were hard to hear behind the twig. She bit down hard, and pushed. With another loud pop, her shoulder was back in place. The joint ached and felt bruised. She collected herself, and looked at Daryl. “Ready to go?”

“Where'd ya learn how ta do tha'?”

“I asked. Was tired of others helping, I guess.”

Daryl was stable enough to walk himself after a few more slugs of water. They made impeccable timing, as the sun hadn't started to set yet. Several yards from the entrance to the farm, Daryl became unsteady, and Teagan, without an exchange of words, helped him walk the rest of the way. The farm was in the distance, when a loud BANG went off, and her body was pulled to the ground.

Teagan looked over and saw the Daryl was shot in the head. She panicked, checked his vitals.

“HE'S ALIVE! HELP HIM!” She screamed. Rick and Shane ran over and quickly carried him to Hershel's. She saw Andrea approaching, holding a hunting rifle, with a terrified look on her face.

“YOU did this? YOU shot him? Are you fucking stupid?”

“I.. I didn't.. I thought he...”

Teagan stormed off towards the farmhouse.

She slowed her pace as she got closer. Wait. Slow down. Why do you care all of a sudden? You don't even know him. Her mixed and new feeling were overwhelming. She hated feeling this way, but couldn't get over it. After an hour, Hershel walked out and told everyone Daryl would be fine. He went to go wash his hands, and Teagan went to go get her things from the room. Hershel had Daryl in “her” old room, and she decided to sleep somewhere else. She walked in as quietly as she could to grab what little was in there, when she heard a groan. Daryl shifted into consciousness, and stared at her.

“Sorry to disturb you. I'm just, uh, collecting my stuff.”

“Don't hafta leave.”

“You should get some rest. You need it.” She promptly left before any more words could be exchanged. She settled herself on the couch in the living room. All her things were on the floor right next to her. After the house settled down and everyone was in their according room, she closed her eyes and was out like a light.

It was middle of the night, and Daryl still couldn't sleep. This wasn't normally an issue. He tended to occupy himself enough in the day, build up some exhaustion, and sleep with ease. Even after falling down a ravine, laying out in the sun all day unconscious, and getting shot, he still couldn't sleep. He would normally sleep lightly, prepared for an attack, but would sleep through the night nonetheless. This night was different somehow. He was particularly annoyed at the effect this strange woman had on him. He had never really been intimate with anyone, and making friends was neither a skill he had nor a hobby he wanted. Being alone was easy. Self-independence was predictable. He felt the same kind of attitude from Teagan, and was intrigued. She would understand him. She acted similarly to him, but was seemingly more selfish. He didn't want her to go for many reasons. She was like him, and though he'd never admit it, it was nice to not be the odd one out all the time. He liked hunting, because it gave him some time alone, but was getting annoyed that he seemed the only one capable of doing practical shit around the farm. He didn't have to worry about her getting killed, because she could defend herself. She'd be a help without being a burden. Unlike so many already here. With that thought, Daryl dozed off.