From the Shadows

The Arrangement

Almost the entire car ride was quiet. Daryl kept biting his lip, staring out the window, waiting for someone to break the silence. He looked over at Rick whose face was nearly expressionless. Rick focused heavily on the road, hands gripping the wheel tightly. Hershel looked nervous and clasped his hands tight, simulating prayer.

Daryl groaned loudly and scoffed. “How much longer ‘til we meet that rat bastard?”

Rick’s voice was distant and distracted. “Not long.” His shoulders were stiff as he steered the car off the main road and arrived at the meeting place. The building was somewhat small for a warehouse and partially broken down. Two of the Governor’s men were sitting outside waiting.

“He’s inside waiting for you.” The larger of the two men spoke. He was heavily armed and muscular. He held his arms up in defense as Daryl exited the car with his crossbow raised. “We don’t want any trouble.”

“Lower your weapon.” Hershel spoke softly to Daryl, and Daryl followed instruction. Daryl felt uneasy around these strangers. Rick walked into the warehouse and Hershel warmed up quickly to the other henchman with glasses. Daryl watched as they talked and exchanged jokes and smiles. The hell is he doin’?

Daryl was pulled out of his focus when the first man spoke again, but to Daryl personally. “That a real crossbow?”

“Yeah.” Daryl made no attempt at eye contact.

“How long have you had it?”

“Over ten years.”

“Still in good condition? Damn. That’s impressive.”

“Mhm.”

“Can you shoot it?”

Daryl scoffed. “’Course I can shoot it. Damn well, too.”

The other guy smiled. “Name’s Martinez.”

Daryl didn’t exchanged formalities. He stayed quiet. Daryl tried to convince himself it was because they might know his name through Merle, and he didn’t want to cause more trouble if they knew Merle and him were related. He knew deep down there was a different reason though. These people kidnapped her, hurt her… tried ta kill her. Every time Daryl caught a glance of Hershel and the other guy, or Martinez told a story of his family or his experiences, Daryl saw a new piece break off their monstrous exterior. These strangers were becoming more human with every laugh, and Daryl couldn’t stand it. Only monsters could torture someone like that. These bastards can’t be human… Humans were harder to kill than monsters. He wanted to avenge Teagan, protect her, and it was easier if the perpetrators stayed foreign, stayed monsters. A dull ache grew in the pit of Daryl’s stomach. What if they had no choice… What if they were forced to? No. No! They did this. Doesn’t matter who told ‘em, they still did it. Can’t forgive that. They’d do it again. They will do it again if they get ahold of her. Can’t let ‘em.

Rick slowly entered the warehouse and saw the Governor sitting at the opposite end of a table. He had a smile that sent shivers up Rick’s back.

“Please, sit.” The Governor gestured to the only remaining chair in the room, the farthest seat from his current position. “I see my messenger did his job.”

“What is it you want?” Rick was stern.

“Ah, a man that wastes no time. I can deal with that. But first…” The Governor places a pistol on the table and shrugs his shoulders.

Rick quickly placed his own gun on the table and kept talking. “You want to make peace? Fine. Is it land you want? We’ll split it. You take everything on your side of the river, we’ll have our side. We won’t ever cross. Any trespassing can be dealt with in any manner the other deems necessary. Deal?”

The Governor began to laugh. His whole-hearted chuckle made Rick nervous. “You think I want your land? I couldn’t care less. I have the property I need at Woodbury. Farmland, fresh water… I’ve got it all.”

“Then what do you want?”

“Patience. Please. Would you like a drink first? Don’t worry, I brought enough to share.” The Governor pulled a bottle of scotch out from under the table along with two glasses.

“I want to settle this.” Rick was impatient and demanding. He did not trust the Governor or his men, and wanted to leave as soon as possible.

The Governor poured himself a glass and swirled the alcohol in the glass tumbler. His head stayed in position, but his eyes moved to look at Rick. “Have you lost anyone?” Rick stayed silent. “It’s not shameful. Everyone has lost someone.” The Governor’s voice became quiet and slow. “Started with my wife… then my daughter. The two people I cared about most in the world… gone.” A wicked smile formed on the Governor’s face. “You have a wife? Kids?”

“Had a wife. Have a son.”

“Oh, you lost her, too. See, you and I aren’t very different. Trying to protect our own, lead the people who’ve decided to follow us. We’ve lost our wives-“

“I didn’t lose my wife to walkers. You killed her. Not them.” Rick interrupted the Governor.

“I see.” The Governor went quiet and had another sip of scotch. “If it’s any consolation, I wasn’t aiming for your wife.”

“If you don’t want land then what do you want?”

“What are you willing to sacrifice to save your loved ones, hmm? A man likes you… you give me the impression you’d sacrifice almost anything to keep them safe.”

“Get to the point.”

“My end of the bargain is this: Safety. My group has more men and guns. However, we’ll leave you alone. We’ll never step foot past our Woodbury borders towards your prison. You, your group, and your son will stay safe.”

“And my end?”

Another sinister smile crept over the Governor’s face. “Teagan.”

“What?”

“In two days time, you will bring her back to this spot. We’ll be here at noon, waiting. If she is here, we’ll take her and bid our goodbyes and leave you and your group in peace. If not, well…” He laughed. “Then I can’t promise you anything. Your lives will be at risk once more.”

“What will you do with her?”

“Not your concern. I started something that needs finishing.”

“That’s a death sentence.”

“For one person. If you think keeping her will save lives… you’re wrong. How many more lives are at the prison Rick? Five, ten, fifty? Are all their lives worth risking just for hers? Is your son’s life worth risking?” There was a long pause. “Two days. Think about it. Bring me Teagan and bring yourself some peace.”

Rick stood from the table slowly, watching the Governor smile and sip from his glass. He grabbed his pistol off the table and placed it back into its holster and shoved the warehouse doors open. The four men outside stopped what they were doing and fell silent. Rick made no eye contact with any of the four men and walked straight to the car. Hershel and Daryl nodded to their respective conversation counterpart and followed Rick. As Rick turned the engine, he heard the Governor speak one more time.

“Two days.”

Rick didn’t look at or respond to the Governor. Once Hershel and Daryl were in the car, Rick whipped onto the road and headed back towards the prison. Rick gripped the steering wheel so tight, his knuckles were white. Neither Hershel nor Daryl thought it wise to say anything, and let Rick contemplate and drive in silence.

At the prison, Teagan tended to chores to keep her mind off Rick meeting the Governor. In the middle of helping Carol with laundry, Glenn walked in with a concerned look on his face, but said nothing.

“Something the matter?” Carol spoke with a soft voice.

“Have you seen Merle anywhere?” Glenn’s voice was slightly panicked.

“No, why?”

“No real reason just, uh… Daryl wanted me to keep an eye on him, but I haven’t seen him in awhile.”

“Want me to go look for him?”

“You wouldn’t mind?”

She laughed. “Not at all. Merle doesn’t scare me.”

Glenn sighed a sigh of relief and nearly hugged Teagan. “Thank you. I owe you. Don’t want to be anywhere near Merle right now.”

“I get it. Just take my spot and help Carol. I’ll find Merle for you.”

“Thanks again!”

Teagan didn’t have an idea as to where to start looking. Merle wasn’t predictable or routine. His actions were moderately dependent on his moods, which swung from one extreme to the other without much warning or prompting. She decided to walk into the part of the prison the group had deemed safe and walker-free. She kept a weapon in her hand just in case. As she walked through the corridor, she heard rattling in a distant room. She approached slowly and the noise got louder and more chaotic. Through the noise, she heard a familiar voice swear repeatedly, and approached less cautiously. She stepped into the doorway and saw Merle rummaging through piles of scrap metal and material.

“What are you doing?”

“None of yer business, princess.”

“Merle, come back to the prison. You’re causing chaos in here.”

Merle stopped his rummaging and looked at Teagan with crazed eyes. “You listen here sweetheart, this don’t concern you. I got shit I’m doin’, and if you don’t like it, you can hightail yer pretty ass out of here.”

Teagan tried to make sense of the situation and made an educated guess. “You can’t go after him.”

“’Scuse me?”

“You have to say here and out of the way. Going there won’t make it better.”

“He’s my brother, and I’m goin’ after him. You can’t tell me what ta do.”

“The Governor doesn’t even know he’s your brother.”

“So what?”

Teagan sighed. “So he’s safe. The Governor wants to talk to Rick, not Daryl. They probably won’t even exchange a damn word. Going there could get him killed and ruin any chance at peace.”

“Peace?” Merle scoffed. “You think that bastard wants to discuss peace? Yer outta yer damn mind.”

“Merle, please. Don’t cause any more trouble. Daryl will be back safe before dark.”

“I’m sure you told him the same thing ‘fore I kidnapped ya and handed you over to your worst enemy.”

“I’ll make you a deal. If Daryl isn’t back, I’ll help you look for him. No hesitation. But you need to stop this chaos. Stop scrounging for mediocre weapons. Don’t wage a war when there isn’t one to be had.”

Merle stopped rummaging and breathed heavily. “If he ends up dead because you stopped me, I’ll do to you whatever was done to him.” He spoke through clenched teeth.

“Fine. You done now?”

Merle spit on the ground. “Fine.” His voice mocked hers. He shoved past her in the doorway and walked back to the prison. She rolled her eyes and followed behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I am so sorry it has taken me so long to update. As my last "chapter" stated, my computer got stolen and I have had to rewrite chapters. I am also starting school again soon and I have been really busy with work and life in general. This story is not yet over, and I am really excited to be back at writing and continuing Daryl and Teagan story!