From the Shadows

The Barter

When Teagan woke up, her head and limbs were heavy with sleep. The weight on her eyelids suggested she didn't sleep much at all, but the bright light seeping into the bedroom told her otherwise. She looked over her shoulder to see Daryl still sound asleep. Teagan stretched and yawned, and carefully crawled over Daryl and out of bed. She slipped on her boots and proceeded downstairs. Remnants of breakfast were strewn on the table. Teagan peered into the hallway of bedrooms, but saw nobody awake in any of them. Handfuls of people were still asleep, but everyone that was awake wasn't inside. She sat down to have some breakfast, when she heard footsteps approach from behind. Before she could turn around, a searing pain shot at the back of her head and darkness filled her vision. She couldn't move, but she could feel what was going on around her. Sounds were too distorted to understand. She felt herself being lifted and carried. It felt like hours before she could see clearly again, and the bright light stung her eyes. She was thrust in an upright-position, followed by two loud sounds and a roar. An engine? Her vision and hearing came back as quickly as it had left. She held her agonized head and looked around her.

“Merle?”

“You guessed it. Guess I didn't hit ya as hard as I thought.”

“Where are we?”

“Can't figure it out? In a car, headed to the-”

“To the warehouse...” Teagan's voice was sad and slow. She stared at her hands in her lap.

Merle looked over at her surprised. “Yeah. How'd you know?”

“I'm not stupid. The Governor had a request that Rick didn't tell anyone about. He couldn't even look at me these past two days. His and your stare-off at dinner put the pieces together for me.”

“Ain't gonna fight me?”

“What good will that do? You're bigger than me, stronger than me, and have bigger weapons than I do. You also pistol-whipped the back of my head. Not exactly an advantage.”

“Had to be done, sweetheart. You'da fought otherwise.”

Silence fell between the two for several minutes before Teagan spoke again. “What are you going to tell him?”

“What?” Merle looked over at Teagan thoroughly confused.

“Daryl. He'll notice I'm gone. He'll ask you because he trusts you. What are you going to tell him?”

“Fuck if I know. Whatever works.”

“That's not an answer.”

“And why the fuck do you care? Huh? You'll be long gone before he ever gets to ask.”

“Please don't tell him I left.” Teagan could feel her throat choke up and her eyes get hot.

“What do ya mean? You did leave.”

“Not by choice. No, please... tell him anything but that.”

“You think I'm gonna pin this shit on me? I'll tell him whatever Rick wants me to tell him. It'll be the same bullshit he tells the rest of the group.”

“I don't give a shit what Rick says. Daryl will believe you. Don't tell him I left.”

“Why do you care?”

“Because I've left him enough already!” Teagan was upset and half-yelled at Merle. He rolled his eyes and didn't respond. Teagan calmed down and closed her eyes. “Daryl found me when they were at Hershel's farm. He brought me back and a week later I left. I had no intention of coming back but I found Carol's daughter. When I returned, Daryl was furious. I tried to leave again with you and I could see how betrayed he felt. I told him I'd never leave him again and if he thinks I left again...” Teagan's voice started to shake. She looked at Merle and strengthened her voice. “Believe it or not, you're not the only one who cares about Daryl. I can't say I care as to how you do it, but Daryl cannot think I left him. I will not die leaving him with that thought.”

Merle clenched his jaw hard and swore under his breath. He pulled the car to stop. “Get the fuck out.”

“What?”

“Did you not hear me? I said get out of the fucking car.”

“What are you doing?”

“You said you weren't leavin' my baby brother. So get out of here and go back there before I change my fucking mind.”

“Aren't you coming, too?”

“I got shit to deal with.”

“Merle, you can't go there. You'll die.”

“And so will you if you don't get the fuck out of this goddamn car!”

“Merle, Daryl needs both of us. Getting yourself killed is just as bad as sending me there to die. Come back with me.”

“Listen here sweetheart, if I don't show up, the Governor walks away pissed off. He'll attack the prison. I ain't sending you there as some bartering token, so the only goddamn option is ta try 'n' kill him before he has a chance to take vengeance.”

“Merle-”

“No. None of that shit. Our only real chance at peace is for that fucker ta die. Now get yer ass back to the prison 'fore he comes lookin' for you.” Merle's voice got real quiet. “Christ knows Daryl needs at least on of us alive.” He got angry again. “And it's gonna be you, so hurry the fuck up!” Merle spit at the ground and revved the engine to drive away. Teagan was left standing in the road, watching Merle ride away to his death. She swallowed hard and started running towards the prison. She wasn't quite sure how far away it was, because she was knocked out for the first part of the trip. All she knew was that it was a straight-away. She'd get off the road and run along side it until the prison came into view. She couldn't stop, no matter how malnourished, dehydrated, or exhausted she was. She had to make it to the prison before the Governor saw Merle alone, and if Merle didn't succeed, the Governor would go straight the the prison. She couldn't get caught. Merle's sacrifice wouldn't be in vain. She had to make it, she had to see Daryl at least one more time. I didn't leave you. I swear, I didn't, and I won't ever again.

Merle drove in near silence until he came upon the warehouse. He kept looking over at the empty passenger seat and thinking of Daryl. You best take care o' him girl, or I'll come back and haunt yer ass worse than ever. He pulled up and parked the car. From what he could tell, nobody had arrived yet. He hid with his weapon ready, waiting for the Governor and his men to show up. As long as the Governor was dead, it didn't matter what the others would do. They could kill Merle all they wanted, but their leader would be dead. They'd have no reason to attack the prison with the Governor gone. Merle heard some cars roll up to the warehouse. Car doors opened and slammed shut, engines went quiet, voices grew louder. Merle peaked over the top of his hiding spot and saw the Governor clear as day. He aimed his gun, took a deep breath, and pulled the trigger. At the last second, a henchman stepped right in front of the Governor and unknowingly took the bullet for him. Merle swore heavily under his breath and ran to a new spot, since his current location was given away. The fury in the Governor's eyes grew rapidly. Bullets were flying every direction. The Governor and his men did not know where they were being attacked from, or by whom. Merle managed to take down one more henchman before his gun jammed. He panicked, and ran into the warehouse. When he entered, he saw the Governor standing in front of him, smiling.

“Hello Merle. Long time no see.”

In he corner of his eyes, Merle saw movement. Before he could respond, Merle felt a sharp pain in the back of his head, and everything went dark.

Teagan wasn't sure how long she was running, or how much longer she had to go. The bones in her legs were on fire, and her joints felt like gelatin, ready to crumble beneath her at any moment. There was a stinging deep in her lungs and throat. She couldn't stop to drink water, she couldn't stop to catch her breath or rest her weary legs. Even if she wasn't short on time, there was momentum to her struggling pace. If she stopped, even for a second, she feared she couldn't start up again. All she could hear was the blood aggressively pumping in her ears. In the distance, she could see tall fences. Finally. So close. You can do this. Just a little bit longer and you're safe. She tried to run faster. Se pushed herself harder than she ever had before. She could see the clearing in front of the prison. Once she hit that clearing, whoever was on guard could see her and open the fence to let her in. Just before the clearing, she heard a sound behind her. She turned around and felt an aggressive hand cover her mouth and pull her back out of sight. She tried to bite and kick the attacker, but was too weak from running for so long. She felt a sting in her neck; her already-exhausted limbs went limp, and her vision started to tunnel. The last thing she heard was laughter.