From the Shadows

Revealed

Daryl woke up in an empty bed. With closed eyes, he reached next to him to feel no warmth. He sat up abruptly and rubbed his eyes. The sun made him squint, and he saw Teagan was gone. He yawned a stretched, slinging his legs over the bed to put his shoes on. He was about to leave the room when he noticed Teagan left one of her trusted knives behind. Musta gone down stairs real quick. He clipped the knife in its sheath to his belt and went downstairs. He went downstairs to find the prison nearly empty. Carol had started cleaning the dishes from breakfast. The only bowl that remained on the table was full of food an untouched. Daryl noticed the spoon was on the left side of the bowl.

“Teagan didn't finish?” He motioned at the bowl of food.

Carol looked over her shoulder. “I suppose not. Maybe she's not hungry.”

“You know where she went?”

Carol shook the water and soap off her hands and wiped them on her pants. “Can't say I do. Try asking around. She might've gone on a run or something.”

Daryl shook his head at the impossibility. “Rick wouldn't even let us leave yesterday. Doubt he'd let her go now. Anyone else gone?”

“I know Michonne and Carl are on watch right now. Not sure about everyone else. Have you checked outside?”

“Nah. Thanks.” Daryl left the prison to enter the yard. He saw the ends of Michonne's boots in the watch tower, Glenn and Maggie cleaning up the yard of scrap, and Rick and Hershel in the new garden. Daryl walked over to Glenn and Maggie first.

“You guys seen Teagan?”

Maggie blocked the sun from her eyes with her hands. “Nope. Why?”

“Jus' wonderin'. Haven't seen her this morning. She left her breakfast. Jus' wanted ta know where she went.”

Glenn stopped rummaging and looked up at Daryl. “Have you seen Merle? He was supposed to help us.”

Maggie shot an annoyed look at Glenn. Daryl started talking. “No, I haven't seen him neither.”

Maggie returned to her task, but responded to Daryl. “Don't worry about it. We have this under control. I am sure whatever he's doin' is just fine.”

“Yeah, long as it's not getting' in ta trouble. Thanks anyway.”

Daryl knew Michonne and Carl wouldn't be able to answer his question, so he walked over to Rick and Hershel. They were on their knees, digging in the dirt with their hands, planting seeds, and trimming the pants that had already sprouted. He stood in front of them to block the sun from their sweaty faces.

Hershel looked up and took a break from his work. “What can we help you with, son?”

“Was wonderin' if you've seen Teagan anywhere.” Daryl saw Hershel lower his eyes, and quickly look back up. “Come ta think of it, haven't seen Merle 'round neither.” At this point, Hershel couldn't hide his anguish. Hershel bit his lip and shot unintentional daggers at Rick.

Hershel almost forgot Daryl was standing there when he spoke. “Rick, what did you do?”

Rick fell silent and dusted the dirt off his hands and knees. He couldn't look Daryl or Hershel in the eye. Rick stood up slowly, and Daryl quickly put the pieces together. “You sonuvabitch!” Daryl shoved Rick so hard, Rick almost fell to the ground. Daryl's eyes burned red with fire as he tried to take another swing at Rick. Hershel stood in-between Rick and Daryl to stop the fight. Daryl was so angry, he was shaking. The tremors carried into his throat when he yelled again. “Do you know what you've done? You cowardice piece of shit!” Daryl tried to charge at Rick again, but Hershel firmly planted his feet into the ground and used his body weight to hold Daryl back. By this time, Michonne and Carl had crawled down from the watchtower to assess the commotion. Daryl stepped back and marched towards the gate.

“Dad, what's going on?” Rick refused to answer Carl and simply watched Daryl.

Daryl had shoved past Michonne who tried to dissuade him from leaving.

“Get the fuck out of my way.”

“What's going on? You can't go out there.”

“Yes I can. Move.[/i[”

“Daryl, going out there alone is suicide, especially now. Rick and the Governor-”

“They made a fuckin' deal. For what, huh? Look around you. Who the fuck is missing? My brother and Teagan. They were the fucking trade. I won't sit here while they get sent off like fucking animals. So get out of my way!”

“Let me go with you.”

The offer took Daryl by surprise. “'Scuse me?”

“It's not safe to go alone. I can help you. Besides, if we have to, I know my way around Woodbury.”

Daryl scoffed and shifted his gaze back to the gate. “You better not slow me down.”

“Wouldn't dream of it.”

Rick watched Michonne and Daryl leave the prison yard. He clenched his fist and headed back into the prison.

“Gather everyone. We're having a meeting.” Carl nodded, and ran around to find everyone. Hershel followed Rick inside. Once everyone was gathered, questions started to fly.

“What's going on?” “Where's everyone else?” “Are they not coming?”

Rick ignored these questions, and waiting for the voices to die down before speaking. “Let me start off by saying that I have made a grave mistake.” The whispers immediately hushed, and concerned looks were exchanged by everyone. “Two days ago, I met with the Governor, and he petitioned a trade. With bias and without logical thought and consideration, I agreed to the deal without consulting the group, because I knew rejection would occur.” He paused. “The only thing he would accept for peace was a life. Teagan's life.” Gasps spread like wildfire. Glenn was so angry, Maggie had to hold him back. “I could not bring myself to do this, so I had Merle do it, because deep down I knew it was wrong. I had high hopes of protecting this group, and instead I let everyone down. I endangered key members of this group for a petty deal.” He took in a deep breath. “Because of my lack of judgment...” He swallowed hard. “I am stepping down as leader of this group.” Everyone's mouth fell open. “I can no longer be the sole decision maker for this group, for I am irresponsible and irrational. I call upon all of us to make all future decisions, together.”

“I'm proud of you, Rick.” Hershel had a hand on Rick's shoulder and smiled.

“So, what do we do now? Teagan and Merle are out there.”

“We stay here. Daryl and Michonne went out for them before we came in here. We can't risk more lives by going out there.”

“If they aren't back by tonight, I'm going out there.” Glenn was firm in his statement.

“Me, too.” Maggie stood up and held Glenn's arm.

We will discuss it tomorrow. For now, let's stay here and stay safe.”

Glenn nodded, but Rick could see anger and betrayal in Glenn's eyes. Rick turned to take a mental break from everyone, when he saw Carl standing on front of him, tears welling in his eyes.

“Carl, what's wrong?”

You did this. You sent here there to die. You blame her for mom, but it wasn't her! You sent her to be killed by the person who is actually guilty. How could you do this? How could you betray her? She trusted you. I trusted you!” By the end, Carl was crying. Before Rick could say anything, Carl ran past him, hands over his eyes. Carol caught Carl, knelt down, and comforted him. As Carl sobbed into her shoulder, she looked up and Rick with furrowed eyebrows. Nobody was happy with Rick. In fact, they were positively upset with him. I deserve it. I did this. This shouldn't have happened.

Outside the prison, Daryl and Michonne searched the immediate area.

“Daryl, check this out.”

Daryl jogged over to where Michonne was standing in the clearing. “What'dya see?”

“Look.” She pointed to the ground.

Daryl knelt down and scoured the dirt. “Foot prints here and here. Those are Teagan's shoes. She was dragged from here.”

“She made it this far? She was so close.”

Daryl shook his head and stood up. “To the warehouse.”

“How far away is it? Maybe we should get a car. Especially since they might be injured. You stay here, I'll get it.”

Michonne went back inside the prison to take a car. Glenn and Maggie were now on watch, and they nodded at her as she came and went. Daryl took the driver's seat since he knew the way. The drive felt longer than Daryl remembered. He kept feeling like he was lost, even through the drive was straight with no turns.

“We almost there?” Michonne asked.

“Just about.”

The conversation died down and they rode in silence. His hands started to shake from nerves. His imagination ran wild; he kept picturing their dead bodies. Daryl focused on the rode, impatiently waiting for the warehouse to come into view. Please be alive. Both of you. Need ta know yer alive.

Can't see. Can't hear anything. Can't move? Only my legs. My arms are stuck. Where am I? Is this a dream? Am I dead? I saw the prison and then... nothing. I am so thirsty. Thirsty from running, thirsty from my dry mouth... why is it so dry? Feels like cloth. A gag? Maybe I'm not dead. I remember being in a car with Merle and- Merle! Where is he? Is he alive? Shit, he better not be dead. Maybe I'm dead with him. He went to attack the Governor, but I was too far away to even hear shots. I hope he's dead. I hope Merle dragged that fucker straight to hell. I hope he-

The blindfold was lifted from Teagan's eyes and bright lights brought on the familiar ache. She struggled, but she still couldn't move. Her eyes adjusted slowly, too slowly for her liking. Who's in here? Where are they? Once her vision returned, she saw herself tied to a chair. No. No no no no! Not again. The chair was higher up, like a dentist's chair. Her feet weren't on the ground, but on a foot rest. A stranger was behind her, and she couldn't turn her head far enough to either side to see them. The gag in her mouth made her want to vomit. After more struggling, the stranger stepped in front of her to reveal their face.

“Hello Teagan. Long time no see.”
♠ ♠ ♠
We're about to wrap up season 3! I can't believe how much has happened so far, and how much more there is to go! I am more excited about this story than I ever thought I'd be, and I have you guys to thank! That you so much for reading, commenting, subscribing, and voting for my story!