From the Shadows

New to the Family

After some time, they arrived at the prison. The gates were opened and all three vehicles piled into prison yard. Daryl got out of the car first, followed by Michonne and Teagan. Daryl kept his distance from the other three. Karen was the only person from the bus to get out.

“Is everyone alright?” Maggie looked Daryl, Michonne, and Teagan up and down.

“Who are these people?” Glenn was suspicious; his hand tightened to his weapon.

“We're fine.” Michonne swallowed hard. “Mostly. And these people are from Woodbury.”

“Woodbury?” Glenn was focused only on the answer to his question.

“What do you mean mostly?” Maggie went from confused to concerned.

“Minor injuries, that's all. Maggie, take Teagan inside. Have your dad take a look at her.” Michonne's voice was stern.

“And Merle?” Maggie knew Merle had gone out, but didn't see him among the others. Silence fell. Even the crickets went quiet.

“He didn't make it.” Michonne glanced over at Teagan whose muscles stiffened.

“I can take myself in.” Teagan's voice was harsh and rigid. She went back to the car to grab something, and marched back into the prison.

“Is she okay?” Maggie asked.

“Are we not going to talk about the busfull of strangers?”

“Our own people are hurt, Glenn. Give it a rest.”

“No. They are from Woodbury. Do you remember what happened?” Glenn was agitated.

Yes. And from what I remember, these weren't the faces of our abusers. Now stop.” Maggie had never raised her voice like that before. She turned back to Michonne, and her tone softened. “What happened?”

“Long story short, Merle and Teagan got captured. Merle died and turned. He was attacking Teagan when we found them and...” She paused. “And Daryl... took care of it.”

“Oh my god.” A surprised sigh dragged the words from Maggie's mouth. “And these people?”

“They came with me.” Karen spoke up for the first time in the conversation. “My name is Karen. After we attacked-”

Not our abusers? They were the ones coming here with guns trying to kill us!” Glenn was now furious.

“Please, listen. We didn't want to. We left when we realized it was a slaughter. Few miles down, the Governor opened fire on us. I was the only soldier to make it. The rest of those people on the bus were regular citizens, those too old or sick or young to fight.”

“Bullshit.” Glenn spoke through gritted teeth.

“If you want proof, head down that road until you see a pile of bodies. Maybe you'll recognize some faces.” Karen went from pleading to serious. “I know it's a lot to ask, but these people need a home. Woodbury isn't safe, not with the Governor alive. We left before he came back.”

“That isn't our decision. It's Rick's.” Glenn's voice was sharp.

“No. It's not his either. It's all of ours. Every member of this group.” Glenn recalled the events from earlier and nodded his head, agreeing with Maggie. “Come on. Let's at least get you guys inside where it's safe. We can discuss this momentarily.” Karen waved for the Woodbury citizens to come out of the bus. One by one, they filed out, and followed Glenn, Maggie, and Michonne into the prison.

Teagan walked quickly towards the prison. As the cool air swept across her skin, the pain and exhaustion in her body began to take over. She was growing dizzy, and her stride was more clumsy. Just get inside. She approached the doors and she felt hot. She tried to shake it off, and was greeted by everyone inside.

Everyone's eyes widened, and everyone spoke at once.

“You're alive.”

“Are you okay?”

“What happened?”

She was overwhelmed. Her mouth was dry and she couldn't form any words. Hershel noticed, and pushed through the crowd to help her. “Give us a moment. I need to take a look at her.” Her escorted her through the small crowd, and she heard the doors open again. The prison grew loud with voices of confusion. Hershel sat down. “Don't worry about out there, come sit.”

“Where's Daryl?”

“I think he went for a walk. All he said coming in was that 'we had company'.” Hershel peered out of the cell and chuckled. “I guess that's what he meant.”

“I'll be back.”

“Teagan, please-”

“I'll be quick. Promise.” She had been carrying Daryl's crossbow for awhile now. It wasn't heavy, but she knew he'd be looking for it. She sneaked past the crowd of people and went upstairs. She looked inside the room and saw it was empty. Where is he? She shrugged and slowly put the crossbow down on the bed. She was partway down the stairs when she saw Daryl emerge from the darkness, walking towards the room. They exchanged a glance for a second before looking away. Hershel was waiting for her outside the cell. Hershel smiled at Teagan and went inside. Teagan looked into the crowd and saw that Michonne, Glenn, Maggie and three Woodbury members were inside. Hershel was sitting on the chair with medical supplies on the small table next to him. He motioned for Teagan to sit on the bed. As Hershel unbound her crudely wrapped wrists, Teagan reamined distracted by the heavy discussion from outside.

“The Governor killed my people.”

“You also tried to kill mine.”

“We left as soon as we knew there was a problem.”

“How long did it take you to know attacking a group was a problem?”

“You don't understand. The Governor was manipulative. He made you guys out to be aggressive, and the bad guys. We knew before any damage was done that he was wrong, and we left.”

“So now you're our problem?”

“We have to help them. They could be useful. We could sustain a stronger community with more people. They already have skills we don't have; skills that are for long-term survival, not aggression.”

“That's a lot of new mouths to feed.”


“Want to join them?” Hershel spoke to Teagan with a smile.

“No.” She was quiet and stared out the door for awhile. “It's not my fight anymore.”

The smile fell from Hershel's face. He finished with one wrist and was working on the second. “Then what is your fight?”

Teagan stared at her properly bandaged wrist. “I don't know.” Her voice wobbled with uncertainty.

“Let's take a vote then.”

“Not everyone's here.”

“I think I can speak on my dad's behalf.”

“And Teagan and Daryl?”

“Let's vote, and if the decision weighs ends up depending on their vote, we'll wait. All in favor?”


Silence. Teagan had a hard time distinguishing voices. The words were clear as day, but the faces that procured them were completely blank.

“That settles it. Karen, Tyreese, Sasha... welcome to our group. Bring in the others and we'll sort out bedrooms. It'll be crowded for tonight, but tomorrow when it's light, we'll move you in to your own corridors.”

“Thank you so much. We owe you everything.”


The voices drowned into indistinguishable chatter and shuffling of feet. More voices entered into the prison. Members of the original team split off, escorting Woodbury members to their temporary quarters.

“That should do it.” Hershel finished bandaging Teagan's other wrist. “Anything else need checking out?”

“I think I'm alright. Thanks.” She quickly stood up to leave.

“Where ya headed?”

“Watch tower.”

“You're exhausted. You need to rest. Someone else can do that.”

“I don't think I can sleep anyway. I'll only take the first shift. I'm probably due for it anyway. Whose turn is it?”

“I think Michonne and Carol.”

“They both need a break. Especially Michonne. Can you let them know? They can come get me halfway through.”

Hershel hesitated and sighed. “Sure.” Hershel knew he couldn't sway Teagan's decision. She was stubborn and determined. “Sleep in tomorrow, though.”

“I'll sleep as much as I can. No promises.”

As she was halfway out the door, Hershel spoke again. “Teagan?”

“Yeah?”

“I hope you find what you're fighting for.” Hershel always had the warmest, most sincere smiles.

Teagan smiled weakly and left the cell. As she left, waves of exhaustion rolled over her again. The prison had settled down, and most people were in their rooms. As she headed out the door, Teagan saw Hershel pulling Michonne and Carol aside. They both nodded, exchanged unconvinced looks, and went to their rooms.

Once outside, Teagan soaked in the ecstasy of the night breeze on her skin. She closed her eyes in inhaled deeply, letting the cold air fill her lungs completely. She leaned against the railing, which was so cold, it sent shivers up her arms. She heard footsteps behind her, and waited for a voice to speak.

“Nice night tonight.” The voice didn't have the southern drawl Teagan hoped for. It was riddled with awkwardness. Rick. Teagan clenched her teeth and ignored him. “If you see Daryl, can you let him know I want to talk?”

Teagan had a difficult time restraining her frustration. She was close to snapping at him. “You should tell him yourself.” She tried to keep her voice calm and neutral.

“Haven't been able to find him.” Silence. He coughed. “Well, uh, glad you're safe.”

As Rick started walking away, Teagan spoke. “There's probably a reason he's avoiding you. Or everyone, for that matter.” Rick turned to her with a confused look. Her back was to him, but she turned her head to look him in the eyes. “Not everyone made it out safe today.” Her voice changed from stern to soft. “Give him some space.” Rick nodded solemnly and turned to leave Teagan alone in the darkness.

Teagan walked towards the watchtower to start her shift. From the base, she saw smoke being blown from over the balcony. When she climbed to the top, all she could see were boots hanging over the edge and the glowing tip of the half-lit cigarette.

“Thought I'd find you here.” The voice was rugged, and made more ragged by the inhalation of toxins. The familiar voice sent strange chills down Teagan's back.