From the Shadows

The Misunderstanding

The next morning, Teagan was up and about before everyone. She liked sleep, but she liked being aware of what was going on at all times more. She sat up on the couch, almost confused as to where she was. She then remembered yesterday's events. She sat on the porch of Hershel's home and watched over the camp. It was quiet, and peaceful. She thought everyone was asleep until she saw Rick crawl out from his tent and make his way towards her. She stopped looking out, and stared at her feet. Looking away was less awkward than watching him march his way over to her. When they were but a few feet apart, Rick coughed and began to speak.

“Glenn told me what you told him.” Teagan knew what he was talking about, but disliked his intentional vagueness.

“And what might that be?” She was already irritated; not a good way to start the conversation.

“That you're plannin' on leaving.” Rick stood still. He did not shift on his feet, fidget with his hands or break eye contact.

“Yeah? Why does that matter?”

“We discussed it, and voted. You can stay.”

“I told Glenn to tell you not bother. I was planning on leaving since day one.”

“It's not safe out there. You are safer here.”

“I was on my own for a long time before meeting you. I can do it again. Besides, you don't even know me.”

“We know you can fight, hunt, and have medical experience. You could a huge help.”

“You seem to be doing fine on your own.”

Rick sighed, just like so many who talked with Teagan. She was stubborn, and head-strong. She would not let up on this argument, even Rick could see that.

“We would appreciate it a lot if you reconsidered. You are more than welcome to stay.” Rick dropped his head and headed towards the stables. Teagan twiddled her thumbs, and went back inside.

Daryl was told to rest that day. He was annoyed, but deep down, knew he needed it. He wanted to keep looking for Sophia, but he couldn't wear himself too thin, otherwise he'd never find her.

Glenn walked over to Teagan and asked if she wanted to make another run into town.

“I'm sorry to ask so soon, I know we just went, but I keep getting requests for things. Especially clothes.”

“Find out everyone's size, and we'll head out.”

Glenn did as Teagan requested, and she went into “her” old room where Daryl was resting. She needed to get her weapons. It was still a bit early, and he had a rough day yesterday, so she didn't knock. She tried to sneak in and out of the room without being noticed. Daryl was awake, but kept his eyes closed in hopes of returning to sleep. When Teagan came in, he groaned and rolled over to see the intruder.

“What're ya doin?”

“Sorry. Didn't mean to wake you. I just needed to grab some things.” Daryl noticed Teagan grab her weapons.

“Where ya goin?” He sat up and winced, but tried to brush it off.

She paused to look at him. “Going into town with Glenn.”

“Why? Ya jus' went yesterday. How many times ya need ta go?” He didn't intend for his words to sound do protective.

“Apparently we're getting requests for clothes. Besides, I'm not doing anything today anyway. Least I could do is help.”

“Gonna get yerself killed with all yer 'help'.”

“I'll be fine. Get some rest. Ohh, by the way, what size are your clothes?”

Daryl told her, but immediately added that he didn't need anything and to not worry about him. Teagan was especially determined to get Daryl of all people new clothes. His were falling apart, had more holes and were so filthy, she didn't think they could even be scrubbed clean. She left the room and closed the door and met up with Glenn who was standing with Maggie.

“Hey, is it okay if Maggie comes along?”

Teagan hesitated to say yes. Two people were more manageable than three, and she wasn't sure how Maggie handled herself in dangerous situations. She turned to Maggie. “Can you fight?”

“Huh?”

“Have you ever killed a walker?”

Maggie was angry and defensive. “Why would I need to know how to do that? Stop calling them that!” Maggie stormed off and got into the car. Teagan got nervous, knowing Maggie was now a severe liability. They drove into town and stopped in a similar place as last time. They knew where the clothing store was and headed straight there. The front door's lock was broken, so getting in was easy. There were no walkers inside. That's strange... the door is open and no walkers? This can't be good. They gathered about three-quarters of what they needed until they heard a volley of voices from the other side of the store. Teagan ushered Maggie and Glenn to duck down and stay quiet. The strange voices drew closer and closer, until every word could be heard. To Glenn, they sounded like reasonable people. All they talked about it was to grab for their group, and where they planned on going. He made eye contact with Teagan, and tried to convince her that they should talk to them. Teagan glared at him and mouthed “no!” Glenn sighed loudly, forgetting where he was.

“Hello? Who's here? Show yourself.” One voice from earlier boomed through the department store. Glenn and Maggie swallowed hard. Teagan readied herself for a fight.

“I heard you. Where are you? Don't worry, we won't hurt you.”

Maggie grew frustrated at the crouched position, not understanding the danger they could be in. She decided to show herself.

“There you are.” The guy aimed a gun at Maggie and her face dropped. “Put your hands up, girl.” Maggie did as instructed, and a different guy grabbed her.

In the heat of the moment, Glenn stood up in defense and was dumbfounded by what he saw. A strange man held Maggie with a gun to her head. He didn't know what to do. He raised his weapon, but his hands were visibly shaking.

“Now now boy. Don't do anything stupid. We just want to talk. You look like well-to-do folk. Where you staying?” Glenn didn't answer. His shaking worsened.

“Listen here kid. We need supplies, and you look like you might have what we want. Drop the gun and tell us, or your pretty friend here won't be leaving with you.” Just then, Teagan jumped from where she was and shot Maggie's captive in the face with her bow. She spun and shot another guy, but not before he shot her and the bullet grazed her arm. The third guy aimed at Glenn, but Teagan kicked him over and stabbed his head. Maggie was crying a little and shaking. Glenn held his gun up as if there was still an attacker.

“What the hell was that?!” Teagan was furious. That situation was completely avoidable.

“Answer me, damnit! Why did you expose us?” She looked at both Maggie and Glenn. Neither of them answered. Teagan walked over to Glenn and grabbed the gun from his hand. He lowered his arms.

“Next time you take aim, fire the gun. It's them or us. Remember that.”

“Don't yell at him, it was my fault.” Maggie tried to reconcile.

“It goes to both of you. People are more dangerous than any walker. They are not your friend! When I tel you to get down and shut up, you do it. Next time, you'll wind up dead.” The words stung Glenn in the ears. He felt guilty and disappointed in himself. He'd been relatively safe and cradled up until this point. He hadn't run into too many aggressive humans. He knew his group was genuine and sincere, and he applied those qualities to everyone.

“Teagan... you're bleeding.” Glenn noticed her arm and his guilt worsened.

“I'm fine. Let's grab the rest of the shit and go. We made too much noise.” Teagan grabbed clothes for Daryl and herself, while Maggie and Glenn walked around together grabbing the rest of the stuff on the list. Teagan could see how Maggie kept trying to comfort Glenn. The ride back to the farm was quiet. Teagan didn't bother binding her arm, since she didn't realize it had even happened until Glenn said something, and promptly forgot about it. They arrived at the farm, and the three of them carried in the clothes. They separated them by gender and size, and told everyone to grab their stuff. Teagan delivered Daryl his clothes. She walked into his room fairly abruptly, but he wasn't asleep. He saw her wound.

“The hell happened?”

“We got clothes. Here are yours.” She dropped them on the bed.

“Yer arm's bleedin' What happened?”

Teagan looked down and remembered it again. She was too fuming to feel it. It was more of a bleeder than anything else. Surface wound. “Had a run-in. Everyone's fine.” She left before Daryl could argue more. Teagan left the farmhouse to get some fresh air and cool off. She didn't like being this angry. It was unhealthy and made her like the man she hated. I can't be like him. Daryl got out of bed to go talk to her, but ran into Glenn. Daryl noticed Glenn's face seem wiped and pale.

“Hey, what happened?”

Glenn noticed him and fidgeted. “Can I talk to you?”

Daryl was dumbfounded by the request. The only time people wanted to talk to him was when they needed something from him. He shrugged and they walked into his makeshift room.

Glenn started talking the second the door was closed. “So, uh, well... we ran into some people today and it went all bad and Teagan is pissed at me.”

“Why is she mad?”

“Well, she told Maggie and I to get down and be quiet.”

“Did you do that?”

“Not exactly... Maggie ended up with a gun to her head and Teagan killed all three of the guys and started yelling at me.”

Daryl sighed. He would have done the same thing. He understood Teagan's anger and Glenn's fear. “She knows what she's doin'. She don't trust anyone fer a reason. To her, they're all dangerous, and its saved her life so far. Ya gotta understand. She's angry 'cause she got worried. Ya coulda died today. Ya didn't though, so take it as a lesson.”

Glenn nodded and walked away. Daryl made a point to talk to Teagan about Glenn. He ran into her fairly soon after and pulled her aside.

“Need ta talk to ya 'bout Glenn.”

“There is nothing to say.”

“Yeah, there is. Glenn came in 'ere thinkin you was mad at him.”

“I am... or was. Why does it matter to you?”

“I know Glenn better than you. He cares too much n has too much faith in people. That's all he knows. None of these people have run into any nasty ones 'sides walkers. Give em a break. They ain't made like you. They ain't made for this world.”

The truth in Daryl's end statement stuck with Teagan. Made for this world? Daryl and Teagan concluded their conversation. She mulled over all of his words again and again, and decided it was best to talk to Glenn. She found him alone, and he turned abruptly to her and started babbling off before she could speak.

“Teagan, I'm really sorry about today. I know what you told us and I should have listened and Maggie almost-”

Teagan held up her hand and Glenn stopped talking immediately. He gulped. “Glenn, I understand. This world is just not as safe and trustworthy as it used to be. I give you instruction for your own safety. I don't want you dying under my watch.” She smiled and Glenn nervously chuckled. Her face grew more serious.

“Glenn, have you ever killed someone?”

“Like a person? No...”

Teagan closed her eyes and put a hand on his shoulder. “I hope you never have to.” Her voice was soft. She knew taking lives of the living was difficult and it changed you. Killing a mindless, slobbering, flesh-craving beast that feels no pain and has no purpose of living is almost charitable. Killing humans that are breathing, feeling, dreaming conscious people was difficult. You couldn't help but see the potential fade as their eyes darkened and closed.

“But I will next time. To keep people safe.” Glenn's voice was determined. He wasn't going to let that happen again. Teagan's face softened and the two of them departed. Even though she was comfortable and secure in her own mentality of the world, it almost felt wrong hearing the same thing come from someone like Glenn. In her own head, it sounded intelligent and necessary. Coming from Glenn, it sounded cruel, harsh and cold.