From the Shadows

Safe

Daryl woke up from the violent shaking next to him. He quickly sat up and opened his eyes, waiting for his sleepy vision to focus. Teagan was still asleep, but she was sweating profusely. Her whimpers and heavy breathing pierced the stale air. Daryl leaned over and spoke softly.

“Teagan.” No response. “Hey, yer alright. Wake up.” He reached over and gently grabbed Teagan's shoulder to shake her awake.

Teagan's eyes opened wide. She jerked away from Daryl's touch, fell out of the bed onto the floor, and scurried away until her back was against a wall. She breathed heavily, shaking.

“Teagan, what's wrong?”

Teagan kept her eyes on Daryl. She swallowed hard. Her stare sporadically bounced between Daryl and the room around her. No Governor. No walkers... “You're alive.” She spoke softly, nearly choking on her words.

Daryl nodded. “Yeah. And you, too.” Daryl sat on the end of the bed with his arms on his knees. Teagan took deep breaths and closed her eyes.

“S-sorry I... Did I wake you?”

“Don't worry about it. You alright?”

Teagan nodded. “Yeah, I suppose I am.” She paused. “I was on watch and I...” She shook her head and sighed. Daryl chuckled. “What's so funny?”

“You weren't on watch.”

“Then how could... I was downstairs and-”

Daryl chuckled again and shook his head. “Nah. I went downstairs, and by the time I came back up, you was asleep. Tried to wake ya ta move ya, but you were out cold. Moved you myself, then went back down, grabbed the rest of the stuff, came up here 'n' locked the door.”

“The door locks?”

“Mhm. Pretty good, too. Ain't nothing getting' through there, 'specially without us hearin' 'em first.”

Teagan's shoulder's relaxed. She took a deep, sharp breath in, and let it out slowly. Daryl could see that the fear in her eyes had not dissipated. She couldn't look at him. Instead, she closed her eyes.

“What did you see?” Daryl's voice was shaky. Through all her nightmares, all her terrified looks, he never asked what it was she saw or what it was she was thinking about. He used to know better than to ask, but as time went on, he wanted to be included. He wanted to know her fears and protect her from them. He wanted her to know she wasn't alone anymore, and that he would be there for her. They both lived most of there lives without anyone to lean on, and it took the end of the world to find support in each other.

Teagan opened her eyes and tensed up. “W-what?”

“Yer nightmare. What happened?”

Teagan swallowed hard. She looked up at him slowly, afraid of seeing the lifeless face she saw only moments ago. But when her eyes met his, she saw peace and sadness, curiosity and concern. She saw the look that Daryl's eyes often carried when it was just the two of them. Without a second thought, Teagan spoke. The words did not struggle or fight as they crawled into her mouth.

Teagan's voice was quiet. “You left to grab our bags. I waited for you and took first watch. I waited downstairs... it was quiet. I fell asleep, and woke up in... in chaos.” Her voice grew shaky. “Walkers were flooding in through every window. I ran back to the room, but no matter how fast I ran, they just... they were right there. I didn't think I'd make it back here. I did. I-I thought I was safe and then-” Her voice cracked. She sounded on the verge of tears. “I locked the door and there he was. Standing over you with a knife to your throat. I tried to get him to stop but... I was too late.” Tears formed in her eyes. “There was nothing I could do. And then...” She swallowed hard. She closed her eyes and regulated her breathing. “You turned.” Teagan looked Daryl in the eyes, who was now sitting on the floor with her. “You turned a-and there was nothing I could do.” She paused, and dropped her voice to a whisper. “All I had to do was keep watch... and I let you die.”

Daryl moved closer to Teagan and hugged her. He held her tight, and Teagan slowly returned the hug, burying her face in his shoulder. “It's alright. I'm okay. I'm here. I'll always be here. Ain't no walkers, ain't nobody but me, got that?” Teagan nodded. Daryl rubbed her back and continued to hold her until he felt her grip lessen. They pulled apart and looked at each other awkwardly.

Daryl raised one corner of his mouth into a half-smile “Head back ta bed? Can't imagine ya got much rest.”

Teagan reciprocated the smile. “Yeah.” Daryl stood up and offered his hand to help her up. Teagan took the offer, and stood up shakily.

“Yer alright. Door locks good, ain't nothin getting' in, got it?” Teagan nodded and sat on the edge of the bed. “How's yer hands?”

“They're fine.”

Daryl rolled his eyes at the tone of Teagan's voice. “Ya never learn.” He knelt down in front of her and pulled out his flashlight. He shook his head. “Still bleedin'.”

“We don't have any dressings left. We'll deal with it tomorrow.”

“We got any back at the prison?”

Teagan shrugged. “There's a chance. I don't know the inventory. We'll know when we get back.”

“Maybe we can use some of these clothes.” Daryl groaned as he stood back up and walked to the closet.

“We should keep them in tact and bring them back to camp.”

“That bunch can go with one missin' shirt.” Daryl grabbed a shirt, and cut the sleeves off. “Don't go rollin' yer eyes. I can wear this'un myself. Woulda cut 'em off anyway. Gimme yer hands.” Teagan put her hands out, and Daryl knelt in front of her again. He undid the old sleeve-bandages and carefully wrapped the new ones on. “There, that'll do it. Need an aspirin? Might be one in the bag.”

Teagan shook her head. “No. I'll be fine.”

“Stop actin' like you don't feel nothin'.” Daryl sounded irritated.

Teagan snapped back. “I'm not saying this shit doesn't hurt. I'm not denying your offer because I want to impress you; I'm not taking it because aspirin is a blood thinner. Same as your damn alcohol.” She huffed.

Daryl bowed his head to the ground. “Hey... 'm sorry. I just...”

Teagan sighed lightly, and her voice calmed. “What?”

Daryl shook his head. “Don't worry about it. It's nothin'. Let's get some sleep. It's a long day tomorrow.” Daryl got into bed and breathed in deeply.

Teagan stayed sitting on the edge of the bed. “You know... you can't almost tell me to stop shutting you out while actively shutting me out...” Her voice was quiet.

Daryl rotated his upper body, and turned his head to look at her. “I didn't even say nothin'.”

“You didn't have to.”

Daryl sat up. “How'd you know-”

“Because I'm not stupid.”

Daryl sighed. “Okay, what's the real reason?”

“Because I've had this conversation before. Multiple times. My guess is you have, too.” She sighed. “They all start the same. And they always think I do it intentionally. Truth is, it's-”

“Just the way yer programmed. Don't know anythin' else.”

“Exactly. You live in yourself long enough, you forget what outside is like.”

“I can't say fer certainty if it goes away... but I can tell ya that it's better now than it's ever been, thanks ta you.” Teagan looked back at Daryl to see him already looking at her. “Took the dead walkin' ta somehow feel safe.”

“Safer than I've ever felt...” Teagan smiled. She turned around and settled in the bed, followed by Daryl. They faced each other, barely being able to see each other's faces in the dimly moonlit room. They both fell asleep with relaxed breaths and smiles on their faces.