Miss Missing You

Chapter 5

"You were with Spider-Man? Like your with Mommy?"

"Yes I was, Peter. And they were happy times. They really were."

"Why are you with Mommy now?"

"Well... You see... Sometimes Spider-Man had to go to hospital a lot. And one day... One day he didn't come out."

------------------------

Harry was working late at Oscorp, choosing to neglect the fact that Peter was once again out as Spider-Man beating the hell out of the bad guys. His blinds were down and the tele off as he curled on the couch, flicking through paper work. His eyes slipped across the room to the phone, it's shrill ring breaking his concentration and the heavy silence that had filled the room. His stomach twisted. There was only one reason THAT phone would ring. Bruce. His breathing seemed to stop as he stared at the vibrating phone. It cut out, ringing again quickly. He stood and made his way to the phone, answering it and holding it to his ear and staying silent for a few seconds before clearing his throat.

"Banner! What an unexpected surprise! How did the fight go?"

And it was unexpected. A surprise? Only time would tell.

"I... Harry, there was an explosion. Peter was right in its line. He managed to pull back the civilians before they could be injured, but... He's in the S.H.I.E.L.D. medical wing. Critical condition. He was hit by an awful lot of shrapnel and burnt. He had to be revived by defibrillator units."

Harry slowly sat down, closing his eyes and saying nothing for what seemed like for ever. He was forcing his calm façade up. His voice cracked ever so slightly when he spoke, a mistake he fixed quickly.

"S.H.I.E.L.D? Medical wing? I'll be there shortly. Thank you for letting me know."

And he hung up. He was breathing hard. Staring at himself in the mirror and forcing the panic from his eyes and making sure he showed no signs of distress as he made his way down to his car.

...

Harry strode into the medical bay, looking around. The only sign of his panic was the slight trembling his stance had.

"Banner? Is he... A- alive?"

Bruce was pacing, wringing his hands, stopping when he saw Harry. He gave a curt nod to the boy, a nod because smiles wouldn't be appropiate for the situation. He sighed slowly and ran a hand through his hair.

"He's... Yes, he's alive, and in surgery. Honestly, the next ten minutes will dictate whether or not he stays that way."

The words hit Harry like a punch to the face. He fiddled with the tassels on his scarf, going to sit down before standing up. The color had drained from his face as he leant hit forehead on the cool wall, breathing harshly and trying not to let his anger take control. The last thing anyone needed was for him to lose control and to have the goblin to deal with.

"What happened? Did Stark cause the explosion? If he did, he's pushed his luck way too far."

Harry didn't trust Stark. Stark knew Harry hated Peter being in the Avengers; not to mention that he and Stark were enemies in the stock market. He tended to get Peter to do things that he knew would wind Harry up.

"No."

Bruce's answer was fast, sharp.

"No. Tony was a couple of blocks away when it happened; he's the one that got Peter out. Someone had planted a bomb. We're not sure what triggered it, but... Something did. We're working on figuring out what did."

Peter was too young. Bruce had never liked seeing them die young. He didn't like dealing with loved ones either; nothing he said could ever help them and he knew that well enough.

"Harry, Peter is going to have some scarring when he wakes up. It's only fair you know before you see it."

"Scarring? How badly? Is it going to affect his daily life? Oh God, why did he not let me REPLACE THE SUIT?"

He punched the wall with the side of his fist before merely crumpling to the floor, silent tears streaming down his face as he hid them from anyone and everyone present. Only Peter was allowed to see him cry.

"I-I should have insisted... I should have forced him... Oh god why didn't I try? He wouldn't be like this right now... I have to see him.. I have to tell him I love him..."

That was when the door opened and Harry spun around to stare at the Doctor standing there, wringing his hands.

"We did everything we could..."

Harry collapsed. Peter was... Gone? His breathing increased, as did the tears, as he started breaking down, mind processing the information. His Peter Benjaming Parker, his dorky camera whore, was gone.