Looking Up

Four

March 2013

Jonathan walked inside the downtown Chicago hotel, glancing at the signs that pointed him in the direction of the luncheon. Dan walked beside him with an easy smile on his face. When Jon had told him about the luncheon, he had been happy to go and support Lennon.

Lennon still had no idea she was one of the volunteers being honored and to keep that secret intact, Jon had not told Pat she was being honored. Instead, when Lennon announced towards the end of her visit in February that she would be back in a couple of weeks for the luncheon, Jon had encouraged Pat to attend with her, claiming an obligation to one of the Blackhawks sponsors that day that would keep him from attending with her as he normally would.

As they approached the ballroom that had been set up for the luncheon that day, a brunette at the door with a clipboard looked up at the two approaching hockey players and paused and Jon’s steps faltered for just a second. A tall blonde appeared seconds later and noticed them and started for them.

“Jonathan Toews, it is an honor,” the blond said. “I'm Ashley Blackmon, head of the PR department. I believe you’ve spoken to Rose.” The brunette stepped up beside her with a smile.

“It’s nice to meet you, Rose,” Jon smiled, shaking her hand, his gaze fixed on her green eyes. “This is Dan; he’s friends with Lennon also.”

Rose’s heart skipped as he looked down at her with those intense eyes. She remembered that stare. It was hard to forget, harder still to not remember the broadness of his shoulders and his thick lower body. She cleared her mind of the memory and returned his hand shake. “It is a pleasure to meet you both. Jon, if you’ll follow me, I’ll show you where you can wait until we have you introduce Lennon.”

Jon nodded. “You know what to tell Len when she sees you?” he asked Dan.

“That Kaner is a little shit that can’t be trusted and you sent me to babysit him,” Dan answered with a smirk. “I’m all over it.”

“I can show you where you’re sitting,” Ashley offered. Dan nodded and let the blonde lead him away as Jon followed Rose.

“So I’m going to just hazard a guess that you’re kind of a big deal,” Rose said as she walked just ahead of him.

“No, not even a little deal.”

“Somehow I doubt that. Ashley’s eyes nearly bugged out of her head when I told her you would be here to introduce Lennon. I assumed you were just some hot shot Chicago businessman. Apparently I should have googled you.”

“You’re not from here?”

“No; I’m from a small town near Vancouver.”

“Canada?”

“The one and the same. I moved here two years ago to finish school. I started interning and then last month they offered me a full time job so here I am.”

“I’m from Winnipeg.”

Rose stopped walking and turned to face him. “You’re a hockey player, aren’t you?”

“Jonathan Toews, captain, Chicago Blackhawks. How do you not know that?”

“Hate hockey,” she answered simply. “Never liked it growing up, never followed it. My brothers played and absolutely monopolized my parents time.”

“You have brothers?”

“Three, all older. And a sister. I’m the youngest.”

“Wow, five kids. What about your sister then? Does she hate hockey too?”

“No, she loves it. Wouldn’t cheer for the Canucks though like everyone else in my house.”

“Who did she root for then?”

“Oilers.” They reached the back of the room, hidden from view from some strategically placed curtains being used as a backdrop. Rose turned to him. “They just started serving lunch so it’ll be about thirty minutes. There’s food for you there,” she pointed. “I’ll be back to let you know when it’s time.”

Jon nodded. “Sounds good.”

“This is Carol’s husband Scott and John’s sister Linda. They are the other two volunteers being honored today. If you’ll excuse me,” she smiled politely. She hurried away and set back around for the main entrance of the ballroom.

She hovered in the back of the room, making sure everyone was served and keeping an eye on the time. She was at first flustered by Jon’s appearance and wondered if he had any idea who she was. His brown eyes were as intense as she remembered and as much as she should be repulsed by the way he had behaved, she found herself intrigued. He had been self assured and cocky at the masquerade ball, coming across as a complete tool. But it didn’t mesh with the guy she had spoken to on the phone, or the guy in front of her now. He had been polite, kind of charming even as he inquired about her.

It was obvious from the way he smiled that Lennon was someone he cared for, and that he cared about this cause because it was important to her. She knew he must be protective of her, having sent the other man who she now could safely assume was one of his teammates to sit with her and watch over whomever the man was that Lennon had brought along as her plus one.

She scanned the crowd looking for the man that had been introduced as Dan with Jon earlier. When she spotted him, she looked over the table he was seated at. He leaned in close to a brown haired girl beside him and said something. She stopped with her fork halfway to her mouth and laughed, touching his upper arm. To her other side sat a curly haired blonde man who rolled his eyes before jumping into the conversation. She was obviously the Lennon in question and Rose thought she was very pretty, her hair swept back in a ponytail, a black top paired with a purple blazer with the sleeves pushed up to her elbows.

Rose checked her watch and then approached the president of the Lupus Society, letting him know it was time. He nodded, excusing himself from his table and approaching the dais. Rose left the ballroom and headed back for Jon and the other two. When she walked in, they looked up at her and Jon smiled.

“Ready for us, Rose?”

“Yes, in about five minutes. Scott, you’ll be first, then you Linda, and Jon, you’ll be last.”

“Sounds great. I was just inviting Scott and Linda and their families to tomorrow nights Blackhawks game. I’d love for you to come as well.”

“Oh, well, thank you, but I’m not sure....”

“I insist, Rose. For all your work into putting this together.”

She blushed as she motioned Scott towards the curtain for his turn. “It really wasn't my work. Tamara did pretty much everything before she left.”

“You had to make sure everything came together and went off without a hitch though. That makes it yours.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“I hope you’ll say yes.” She smiled at him and then moved Linda forward, listening to Scott talk about his wife. She listened for the cue and then sent Linda out, leaving her alone with Jon.

He moved in beside her, standing close as they listened to Linda, she herself living with Lupus and the things her brother did not just for her but others living with the disease. Rose smiled, brushing a tear from her eye as John came onto the stage and embraced his sister.

“Please come, Rose,” Jon said softly, squeezing her hand in his.

“Okay,” she found herself agreeing, flustered by his contact and gentle touch. This was nothing like his touch at the masquerade yet all the same. Hot, smarting, that left her skin ablaze where he touched her and her body tingling.

“Okay.”

“Our next guest doesn’t need an introduction,” Mr. Green, said as Linda and John left the stage. “I’ll let him speak for himself save to wish him and his teammates continued success in bringing another Stanley Cup back to Chicago this summer.” There was applause as Jon stepped onto the stage, shaking Mr. Green’s hand.

“Thank you, Mr. Green. I am honored to be here this afternoon to help present the President's Volunteer Service Award to my friend, Lennon West.” He looked out and caught her eye, sharing a smile with her. “Lennon is an incredible woman who has dedicated a piece of herself, first in her native Nashville and now here in Chicago to the Lupus Society to raise awareness on behalf of her mother Evelyn, who sadly passed last month. Lennon brought awareness into my own life, both through her work, and through her mom, who was an amazing woman herself. When I first met Evelyn, I knew exactly where Lennon’s spirit came from because I saw that same spirit in her mom. And even though Evelyn is no longer with us here on earth, I know her presence remains in her daughter and that spirit will live on through her. What was once something I did not understand is now something as dear to me as it is to her. Ladies and gentleman, Lennon West.”

A burst of applause filled the room and Jon heard Pat whoop loudly and Dan whistle as Lennon walked to him. Jon stepped off stage, offering his hand to her and helping her up the stairs before hugging her. “You deserve this, Len. You’re amazing.” He stepped back from her and approached the microphone one more time.

“In Lennon’s honor, myself and my teammates will be making a donation to the Lupus Society of Chicago for a hundred thousand dollars for their continued efforts.” Lennon gasped, covering her mouth before flying towards him. He caught her easily and let her hug him tightly.

“Thank you, Johnny Toes,” she whispered before wiping the tears at her eyes. “Thank you so much.” She shook Mr. Green’s hand and accepted her award, smiling for photos before stepping off the stage with Jon, clasping his hand tightly. They sat back down at the table, Dan moving so Jon could have his chair and brought an empty chair from a neighboring table over to sit.

As the luncheon closed, Lennon accepted hugs from some of the other attendees and then headed outside with Pat, Dan, and Jon.

“Patty, can you take Dan home? I need to talk to Jon.”

“Sure,” he shrugged. “You’re still coming to the game tomorrow, right?”

“Of course.” She hugged him, then Dan, and thanked them for being there. They waved as they made their way to Pat’s car and Lennon followed Jon to his.

“Something is bugging you, Johnny Toes,” Lennon said after they had both buckled up.

“Nothing is bugging me.”

“Liar.”

"Okay, fine, you win. Do you remember there was that girl at the masquerade ball?"

"The one who dumped a drink in your lap?"

"Yeah, that one. You met her today."

“I did?”

“Yeah; it’s Rose, the girl that works in the PR department for the Lupus Society.”

"I thought you didn't know her name."

"I don't. But I'll never forget her eyes." Her eyes, her body, but especially not the smirk she had given him right before dumping that drink in his lap.

"Does she know it's you?"

"I think so. I couldn't ask though. I invited the other two people who received the award to come to tomorrows game with their families and I asked her to come too.”

Lennon nodded. " You want me to find out?"

"Please?"

"I'm on it, captain."