Looking Up

Five

Rose ventured down the hall towards the private box that she had been directed towards, checking the numbers on the doors against the one on her ticket. As she reached her destination, the door swung open, and Lennon stepped out.

“Hi, you must be Rose,” she greeted her warmly. “Welcome.”

“Thank you.”

“I’m Lennon; we didn’t get to meet yesterday.”

“It’s nice to meet you. I was sorry to hear about your mom but it sounded like from what Jon said that she was and still is very proud of you.”

“Thank you. Jon tells me you’re a Canadian that hates hockey.”

Rose blushed. “I’ve never been a fan. My sister gave me a crash course over skype this afternoon though.”

“Well I can answer any questions you have too.”

“Thank you.”

"So yesterday was the first time you met our captain then?" Rose hesitated and Lennon caught it. "I guess the circumstances of meeting Jon at the masquerade ball weren't exactly what one would consider an ideal first meeting."

"You know about that?"

"I knew the day after the masquerade that Johnny had made an ass of himself and he told me yesterday he was sure you were the girl. Remembered your eyes. Said he could never forget them.”

“He said that?”

“He did. Anyway, Johnny always asks me advice when it comes to women. I'm pretty sure that's why he has a girl for a best friend. So, why don't you tell me your version of what happened that night."

"He was an asshole, like he just expected I was going to sleep with him because he talked to me. I've never met a more cocky SOB in my life."

"I'm sorry that you met that Jon. That isn't the real Jon though. Why don't you come out after the game, grab a drink, and meet the guy I know."

“I don’t know....”

“I know Jon doesn’t deserve a chance. I’m positive he doesn’t because I know firsthand what Jon you met at the ball. That guy is a grade A douche bag. He demands and pushes and expects women to drop to their knees with a single smirk. The truth is that guy gets plenty of girls who do drop to their knees for that bull shit. The ones who don’t, and there are few, are better for him. I met Pat first, then Jon, and because I was friends with Pat, I had to see Jon. And when I got to know the real Jon, I was pleasantly surprised. He’s kind hearted and caring, and gives himself freely to the people he knows and trusts. That other guy is a front to cull through the hanger on types, people who want Jon the hockey stud and not Jonathan Bryan Toews, simple dude from Manitoba who really loves playing hockey.”

“You sound like a one woman PR department for him.”

Lennon laughed. “I love Jon; he’s a good guy and I want him to meet a really great girl.”

“Why not you?”

“I had a crush on Johnny once but we never. I’m too close with all of the guys to date one of them. It’d be weird. We’re just friends; I am not a threat, trust me.”

“Do you approve all his girlfriends?”

“No, but I try to run off the ones who aren’t in it for the right reasons. He needs someone, someone that cares about him for him, and wants to stand by him. I’m not here all the time and someone has to look out for him.”

“I thought you lived here.”

“I did but I left when my mom got sick last year. I rented my place out and moved home to Nashville. I come back to visit now. I’m not sure I want to move back yet though. I really haven’t decided what I’m going to do next.”

“So you stay in a hotel when you come back even though you technically have a place?”

“No; I stay with Pat. He has a guest room that I helped him set up for when one of his sisters visits but its useful to my purposes now as well. Now, come on, let’s get a beer and watch my boys kill the Blues.”

~*~*~


Rose was having one of the best nights out in a long time with Lennon, who answered her questions about the game and made her stand up and yell when penalties were called against the Hawks or to cheer along whenever they scored a goal. At the end of the game, everyone was talking excitedly about the win and laughing and joking with each other.

Jon cleared his throat from the doorway. “Looks like I’m interrupting,” he smiled, his hair damp and his suit only a little rumpled from his rush to get it on.

“Johnny!” Lennon exclaimed. “What a great goal!”

“Thanks, Lennon.” He looked behind her and smiled at Rose who smiled back shyly and then his eyes slid to the little girl hiding behind the legs of Linda. “Hello there,” Jon said, walking into the room and squatting down in front of her. “I’m Jon. What’s your name?”

“Alana,” was the quiet reply.

“Alana. That’s a pretty name. Did you have fun tonight?”

“Yes. I liked when you scored a goal.”

“That was my favorite part too. How old are you Alana?”

“Six.”

“Six? I thought you must be sixteen.”

The little girl laughed. “No. I’m six.”

“Alana, I heard from my friend Lennon that you’re a Patrick Kane fan.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Would you like to meet him?”

The little girls eyes widened and she looked up at her mom. “Can I? Mommy, please?” she begged in a little voice.

“We can’t impose on you like that Mr. Toews,” Linda said. “Not after everything you’ve already done tonight.”

“It’s no imposition at all.” He stood and offered his hand to Alana. “Ready?” She placed her little hand in his with an ear to ear smile and Jon lifted her up in his arms. “Everyone follow me.”

Lennon grabbed Rose’s wrist to hold her back and let everyone else follow Jon out first. “That’s the Jon I know,” she said with a knowing smile before catching up with the group.

Rose quickly followed, trying to wrap her mind around everything she had just seen. They took an elevator down to the locker room and Jon went in first before inviting everyone else to follow.

“Hey! You must be Alana,” Patrick Kane said, crossing the room as Jon sat her down. She tucked herself behind his legs and peeked out shyly at him. “I got you something. Wanna see?” The little girl nodded and Pat held his hand out to her and she took it, letting Pat lead her across the room.

“This is too much,” Linda said quietly. Lennon squeezed her hand.

“They love this kind of stuff,” Lennon told her. “Let them.” They all watched as Patrick pulled a small wrapped gift from his stall and handed it to the little girl who looked back at her mom once before tearing open the gift. She squealed in delight as a red Blackhawks jersey fell out, perfectly sized for the little girl with a little room to grow into.

“Mommy look! It’s just like Patty’s!” she exclaimed.

Lennon laughed as Pat groaned. “Did you teach her that?” he asked.

“Pretty brilliant, right?" The other adults laughed and some of the other players that were left stopped to meet Alana.

“Hey, Lennon,” Brandon Bollig smiled, squeezing her shoulder as he passed.

“Brandon,” she smiled.

“You’re meeting us out later?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll have a drink waiting.” She blushed as he winked and exited the room with Andrew Shaw.

Jon didn’t notice the exchange as he slid in between Rose and Lennon and Lennon patted his arm. “Good work, Johnny Toes.”

“Thanks, Len.”

“That was a really nice thing you do for Alana,” Rose added.

“It was nothing,” he said modestly. “Kaner eats this shit up anyway. He loves when kids pick him as their favorite over me.”

“That is so true. They have a competition between them that not even they know all the rules for.”

“That is not true,” Jon protested.

“It is,” Lennon defended, turning to Rose. “Jon was drafted first, third overall, and Pat was drafted the following year, first overall. They both entered the league the same season though so they are forever linked in Blackhawk lore. They were both nominated for the Calder, which is for rookie of the year, which Pat won. Jon got named captain his second season, which kind of trumped Pat being a number one pick and the rookie of the year because he’s one of the youngest guys ever picked to be captain, and he had only played in sixty four NHL games at that point."

"It's not that big of a deal," Jon interrupted.

She rolled her eyes at him. "It's a big deal," she told Rose. "Now can I continue?"

"About telling me how great I am? Sure, go ahead." Jon's smile and tone was teasing and Lennon shoved at him lightly with a laugh.

"Where was I? Oh, right. All stars. Pat and Jon have both been selected for the same three all star games, but only Pat has played in all three. Pat was on the cover of NHL 10 which he bragged about constantly until they picked Jon to be on the cover of NHL 11 the next year. They won the Stanley Cup in 2010. Patty had the cup winning goal but Jon won the Conn Smythe, which is for the MVP of the playoffs, and he won a gold medal in the olympics earlier in the same year while Pat only got silver. And because Jon won a world championship gold medal back in 2007 also, winning the cup meant he was the youngest player to gain entry to the triple gold club, which including Jon is just twenty five guys who have accomplished that, plus he’s only one of six guys to win the cup and olympic gold in the same season. Oh! and Johnny was named best forward in the olympics too. So basically, little kids liking Pat more than Jon is what Pat lives for.”

“Wow,” Rose breathed. “That’s really impressive.”

“It’s not really, no matter what Len says," Jon said. “I play hockey and I love it but it’s not brain surgery.”

“You’re talented and should quit selling yourself short,” Lennon said sternly.

“Very talented,” Rose agreed. “And if you don’t believe that, I’m sure Lennon can sell you on yourself.”

Lennon laughed. “One woman PR show, right?”

“Right,” Rose giggled.

“Have you been talking about me again?” Jon asked.

“Of course,” Lennon told him. “You think she would’ve agreed to come out for a drink if I left you to your own devices? We all know how that worked out last time. Unless you need cooling off again?” she winked. Jon flushed but pushed it aside as Pat and Alana walked over.

“Thank you, Tazer,” the little girl said, hugging herself to his legs. Jon leaned down and gave her a real hug.

“You’re welcome. You have your mom let Miss Rose know anytime you want to come and I’ll make sure you have tickets.”

“Thank you,” Linda said, squeezing Jon’s hand. The families waved and Jon had someone on the PR staff escort them out.

Pat slung an arm around Lennon with a wicked grin. “Let’s get drunk!” he announced.

“Oh my god, Patty!” Lennon teased. “I thought you grew up.”

“You bring out my inner child.”

“You bring out your own inner child, lush.”

“Whatever, Len. You know you love me.”

“I tolerate you,” Lennon replied as Pat and her led the way out of the room.

“Do they always fight like brother and sister?” Rose asked as she fell into step beside Jon.

“All the time,” Jon answered. “Pat’s protective of her. We all are; I guess she’s everyone’s sister in a way. A couple of the guys tried to pick her up when we met her but she turned them all down and ended up becoming really good friends with Pat and then me because Pat and I are pretty close. We might be a little competitive on the ice but off the ice he’s my best friend in Chicago. When Lennon started hanging out with us, she met some of the other guys and their girlfriends and I know they really didn’t know what to make of her but she won them over pretty quickly. She has a very disarming personality but maybe that’s just the repressed southern belle in her.”

“She charmed me into giving you a second shot.”

Jon smiled. “I should buy her a really nice present.”

“Most girls like diamonds.”

Jon chuckled. “I’ll keep that in mind.” They made their way into the players parking lot and neared Jon’s SUV, which Lennon leaned against talking to Pat.

“My car is out front somewhere.”

“I can drive you to it,” Jon offered.

“Or you can just ride with us and get it later,” Lennon said. “Johnny's gotta bring me back for Pat’s car.”

“You can take a cab back,” Jon replied.

“Johnny! You’d leave me alone, in a cab, with Patrick Kane? Really?”

“Okay, fine, I’ll bring you back,” he relented easily.

“Thank you!” Lennon smiled before climbing into the backseat, Pat following her.

Jon held the passenger door open for Rose. “I can bring you back too, it’s no problem.”

“Thank you,” Rose said as she slid into the front seat. Jon closed the door behind her before coming around and getting in himself. Pat and Lennon giggled in the backseat, whispering amongst themselves. Jon glanced at them in the rearview mirror.

“If you two are going to act like five year olds I’m kicking you out now.”

Pat stuck out his bottom lip and Lennon leaned between the seats to kiss his cheek quickly. “We were just saying that Rose is way out of your league, Captain Serious.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“You’re welcome,” she smirked.

“Rose, we haven’t been properly introduced. I’m Patrick Kane and I’ll be happy to show you a good time if you want.”

Jon turned and shot a withering glare at him. “No you won’t.”

“Oooh! The captain likes her.”

“I don’t know why I'm friends with either of you sometimes.”

“Because you loooove us.”

“Sorry,” Jon apologized to Rose, looking over at her as he pulled out of the parking lot. “They really enjoy teaming up to embarrass me.”

“You could just ignore them.”

“Easier said than done, trust me.”