Looking Up

Six

The drive was short and as soon as Jon had the vehicle in park, Lennon and Pat tumbled out of the backseat. Lennon took off at a run and jumped on Dan’s back when she spotted him across the parking lot, Pat close on her heels. Jon shook his head at them as he waited on Rose. She took off her jacket and slipped the Blackhawks t-shirt she was wearing off, revealing a simple white tank top that made Jon’s mouth go dry. She reached into her purse and pulled out a black cardigan that she slipped on. With her jeans and low heeled boots, she was an absolute vision to Jon.

“I am so underdressed compared to you guys in your suits.”

“You look great.”

“They probably won’t even let me in.”

“You’re with us; they won’t say anything. Besides, Lennon is dressed just like you.”

“She’s also attached to one of you at the moment,” Rose added, pointing where Lennon was still wrapped tightly around Dan’s back, her chin resting on his shoulder. She had changed on the ride, ditching her jersey for the black top she wore underneath and black boots over her jeans.

“I can't figure those two out,” Jon murmured.

“I’m sorry?”

“Lennon and Dan. They’re perfect for each other but neither one of them seems to see it.”

“Lennon said she’s never dated any of you because it’d be weird.”

“Yeah, but if the right person, the perfect person, is staring you in the face, how do you not notice it?”

“If you’re looking for it, you won’t find it. But tell me more about why you think they should.”

“And sound like a teenage girl? Pass.”

“Aww, come on, Jon,” she teased. “Tell me what you see.”

“Okay, well, they love the same music.”

“That’s it?”

“The could sit for hours and just listen to music, not saying a word, just listening but it would still mean something to them. They can debate the pros and cons of any band that has replaced a lead singer and then the merits of which version is better. They’ll introduce each other to someone the other doesn’t listen to and work their hardest to convert them and then make them fill their ipods with all of their music. They always have a good time together without any effort. I don’t think Pat wants to see it but he is closer than any of the rest of us are to her and he’s known her less than half the time the rest of us have. Her smile is different for him; I saw it at the masquerade ball. She just doesn't know it.”

“She doesn't know she likes him?”

“Yes. And he doesn’t either. Well, maybe he does. Dan’s smarter than he looks but I’ve never asked.”

“Maybe you should.”

“Not my place.”

“You’re the captain and she’s one of your best friends. Doesn’t that make it your place?”

“Maybe.”

“Definitely. But let me guess; you're a guy so it's territory you're not getting into."

"Something like that. It's Lennon. I don't ask her about her love life, I don't try to interfere with it, unless the guy is a jackass. I will run those guys off if one of the other guys doesn't beat me to it."

They reached the door a short moment later and followed the others inside, Lennon now walking between Dan and Pat before hurrying ahead when they reached the VIP area. Rose moved a step closer to Jon who slid a hand across the small of her back to guide her. The club was wall to wall bodies and Rose wasn't sure she'd ever been in a place so crowded before.

"Do you want a drink?" Jon asked close to her ear.

"Yes," she nodded. "Bourbon, neat."

Jon looked at her in surprise but then grinned. "Bourbon neat for the lady it is then." Dan appeared, seemingly out of nowhere in Rose's mind and he offered his arm to her.

She slipped her arm through his and let Dan lead her away to a table. She noticed Lennon sipping a drink, standing close to a dark haired man with a beard. They were laughing over something as Dan motioned for Rose to sit.

"I thought Jon said you all watch over Lennon," Rose said, leaning over the table towards Dan. He turned and watched Lennon disappear out onto the dance floor with the guy.

"That's Brandon Bollig. He's one of us."

"He plays hockey too?"

"Yep. That's Andrew Shaw," he pointed. "And Brandon Saad. You met Pat already. That's Crow."

"Crow?" She repeated.

"Corey Craword. He's the goalie. And those are a couple of the swedes, Viktor Stalberg and Marcus Kruger."

She followed his gaze and her mouth fell open a little. "Oh my," she breathed out.

"You showed her the swedes, didn't you?" Jon said as he slid in next to Rose.

Dan chuckled. "Might as well she knows about them now instead of later when you're already deeply in love with her." He stood then and disappeared and Rose snuck a glance at Jon.

"They all like ribbing you, don't they?"

"Yeah, just a little."

"It's nice. It means they care about you."

"They care about embarrassing me."

"No, they care. You're not just their captain; you're their friend."

“They’re all assholes.”

Rose laughed at that. “I think you secretly like it.”

“Hey, Rose, you wanna dance?” Pat asked as he came to the table, leaning down towards her.

“Yeah, sure,” she agreed, letting him take her hand and pull her from the table. He smirked at Jon over his shoulder as Dan slipped into the space Rose had occupied.

“Where’s Len?”

“Dancing with Bollig,” Dan answered. “Where’s Rose?”

“You saw her leave with Kaner.”

“Yes, but why did you let her leave with Kaner?”

“Why did you let Len leave with Bollig?”

“Why wouldn’t I? It’s Lennon and she’s friends with pretty much the entire team.”

“Yeah, I know that but haven’t you ever thought?”

“Thought what?”

“Nevermind,” he shook his head.

“You think too much, Tazer. Just go get the girl already.”

"I should ask her to dance?"

Dan shook his head and rolled his eyes upward. "You're fucking hopeless. How do you get girls to come home with you anyway?"

"They know who I am. They just want to say that they slept with me."

"And Rose?"

"Rose poured a drink in my lap when I hit on her at the masquerade ball."

Dan stared at him a moment before breaking out into laughter. Loud laughter. "Oh man; you're already in love with her, aren't you?"

"No!" He replied too loudly, flushing red.

"Can't stop thinking about her though, can you?"

"Hasn't there ever been a girl in your life you couldn't get off your mind?"

He glanced away towards the dance floor before looking back. "Yeah, maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Love is complicated but only as complicated as you let it be. So if you haven't stopped thinking about Rose since she poured a drink on you then you should just walk out there, punch Kaner in the face, and tell her that you can't stop thinking about her."

"I don't think punching Kaner is a good idea," Jon chuckled. "But the rest of it doesn't sound bad."

"Then go do it. Quit talking about it and grab life by the horns. Carpe diem and all that shit Len lives by."

"One day you might consider heeding that same advice," Jon advised as he stood, slinging back his drink for the extra confidence.

"Why don't we start with you and go from there, eh?"

Jon nodded and made his way through the crowd, successfully brushing off two different women who blocked his path to Rose. He came up behind Rose and leveled Pat with a stare. “I’ve got it from here,” he said over the music, pulling Rose back and turning her to face him. He could hear Pat laugh and saw him walk away, tapping Lennon who was dancing with Brandon and pointed at him. She flashed her brilliant smile at him and a thumbs up before turning back to Brandon and put an arm around him as she danced.

Jon turned his attention to Rose and pulled her into him, moving his body with hers to the music. Pat had been harmless, talking up Jon the whole time they danced so when he appeared in the crowd she was momentarily flustered.

“Are you having fun?” Jon asked, his mouth close to her ear so she could hear him over the music.

“Yes, this is great. I’ve never been a VIP,” she laughed.

“I’m really glad you’re here.”

“Me too.”

They stayed out for another song before Jon took her hand and led her through the crowd and back to the roped off section of the club and to their table where Dan and Corey sat talking over a couple of beers. Rose took a chair across from Dan and he passed her a fresh drink and she thanked him with a smile.

“Whoa,” Corey spoke up as Rose sipped her drink. “You really are drinking straight bourbon. I thought Carbomb was fucking with me.”

“Carbomb?” Rose questioned.

“Dan’s nickname is Carbomb,” Jon explained, taking the seat beside her. “Mine is Tazer.”

“Unless it’s Len,” Dan interrupted. “Then she calls you Johnny Toes.” Jon glared at him and Rose giggled.

“And yours is Crow,” she said to Corey who smiled. “Dan told me earlier. What about everyone else? Who has the best nickname?”

“Some of the guys call Saader the man child,” Corey answered. “And Boller calls Shawzy Mutt. Most of them are just plays off our names so those are probably the most interesting.”

“Why Carbomb?” she asked Dan.

He shrugged. “Former teammate came up with it while we were at a golf tournament. Stuck after that. What about you Rose? Any nicknames?”

“No, not really. I’ve always just been Rose mostly.”

“Where are you from, Rose?” Corey asked.

“Oh, just a little town outside of Vancouver.”

“You’re Canadian?”

“Yep. But I’ve been in Chicago for about two years. My sister, Daisy, she lives in Vancouver; she’s a dentist. And I have three brothers.”

“Are they all in Vancouver too?”

“One is in Seattle but the other two are still near home. Sage is a doctor, Rye is in construction, and Ash is a firefighter.”

“Accomplished family,” Jon smiled. She smiled back shyly and sipped her drink.

“I lost Patty,” Lennon announced, sitting down in Dan’s lap as she re-joined the group and lifting his beer to her lips. “But I told Brandon to go look for him.”

“How thoughtful of you,” Jon said, rolling his eyes.

“I know, right?” she grinned. “Corey, you were A plus amazing tonight.”

“Thanks, Lennon.”

“Dan, you were terrible.”

“I didn’t play.”

“I know; that’s why you were terrible. You should aspire to the level of greatness that is Jonathan Toews.”

“Too much expectations. I’ll settle for being me.”

“Suit yourself,” she replied with a wink. “I bought tickets for the Neil Young show next month.”

“Awesome,” he grinned, kissing her cheek. “Anyone else going?”

“Nope; just us.”

“Oooh, a date,” Corey teased.

Lennon laughed. “He wishes.”

“You wish,” Dan countered. “I’m a fucking stud.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” she laughed.

“Found him!” they heard Brandon call out, walking towards them with Pat in tow.

“Good job, Bollig,” Lennon told him.

“Why thank you, ma’am,” he replied, tipping an imaginary hat and winking at her. She giggled and a look passed between them, one that did not go unnoticed by Rose but went right over the other men at the table as he and Pat pulled up chairs to join the group. Rose listened as they bantered, laughing at their jokes and enjoying their company. Before she knew it, it was almost one in the morning and Jon was standing to gather his passengers.

“I’m gonna ride with Brandon,” Lennon said, hugging him and kissing his cheek quickly. “We’re gonna watch the Woman in Black. Can you take Pat home?”

Jon sighed. “He was supposed to be your responsibility. Why can’t you take him with you?”

“Because no one likes horror movies like I do except Brandon. Please Johnny?”

“Fine, I’ll get him home. But you have to figure out how to get him back to his car tomorrow.”

“Thank you Jon!” she called over her shoulder as she followed Brandon and Andrew out of the bar.

“He’ll probably pass out in the backseat as soon as we pull out of the parking lot,” Jon told Rose. He grabbed Pat who obediently followed Jon outside and piled into the back of his SUV, stretching out across the seat. Jon held Rose’s door open and waited until she clicked her seatbelt in place to close her door. She watched him move around the front of the car to climb into the drivers seat and made the drive back towards the UC.

The drive was mostly silent, save for some random humming out of Pat in the backseat. Jon pulled into the parking lot fifteen minutes later. There were a few stray cars still in the parking lot and Rose pointed out the window.

“That one,” she told him. “The silver hyundai.” Jon nodded and drove towards it, coming to a stop beside it. He glanced in the backseat, where Pat’s eyes were closed and he was curled on his side.

Rose unbuckled and grabbed her things out of the floor. “Thanks for the ride, and letting me come out with you guys. I had a really good time. And the game was great too.”

“You’re welcome.”

She smiled and opened her door, stepping out and digging in her purse for her car keys.

“Fucking get out and kiss her, dumbass,” Pat hissed from the backseat. Jon looked back at him again. “Do it, Tazer. She’s hot and smart and Lennon likes her so she must be a decent human being. And you want to fuck her so get out of the car and kiss her. At the very least get her phone number.”

“Right, phone number,” Jon muttered. He opened his door and Rose looked back at him. “I, uh, just wanted to make sure you got in safe.”

It was lame but Rose giggled as she opened the door, leaning in to drop her things into the passenger seat. “Wow, a full service captain,” she teased.

Jon rubbed the back of his neck. “I had a good time too. Maybe we can do this again? Dinner?” he asked hopefully.

“That might be nice.”

“Can I get your number?”

“Sure,” she nodded. “Give me your phone.” Jon fumbled for it and it fell into the back seat. Pat’s hand appeared, waving it at him and Jon blushed as he handed it to Rose. She punched in her number and called herself before handing it back to him.

“You’ve got mine and now I’ve got yours.”

“Cool.” He could hear Pat groan from the backseat.

“Goodnight, Jonathan.”

“Goodnight, Rose. Will you let me know you got home safe?”

She reached for his shoulders and went onto her toes to kiss his cheek. “I’ll text you.”

“Bye, Rose!” Pat called out.

“Good night, Pat,” she laughed as she slid into the driver's seat of her car. Jon closed the door behind her and waited for her to drive off before getting back into his own car.

“You’ve got it baaaad,” Pat said as he climbed into the front seat.

“Shut up,” Jon warned before pulling away.