Looking Up

Eight

Jon smiled to himself as he cleared their salad plates, putting them in the sink before checking the roast chicken in the oven. Finding it done, he pulled it out, pleased with himself that it looked exactly like his moms.

"Something smells good," Rose said from the table.

Jon looked over at her and felt his smile widen. "It's my moms recipe. She always makes it for me when she visits."

"So you called her for it to impress me then?" She teased.

"Something like that," he responded as he plated the meal. Rose nodded, refilling their wine glasses as Jon brought the two plates over.

"Bon appetite," he grinned goofily, earning him a giggle from Rose. He sat down and watched her take her first bite.

"Mmm, Jon, this is really, really good."

"Thank you."

The conversation fell quiet as they ate, which Jon really didn't mind. Meals were almost always loud with his teammates so he was really enjoying the simplicity of having Rose as his dining companion.

As they finished eating, Rose pushed her plate back and wiped at the corners of her mouth. "Color me impressed, Jonathan Toews. No guy has ever cooked for me and I was definitely expecting the worse but this was amazing."

"I haven't even brought out dessert yet."

"You bake too?"

Jon laughed. "No but I did pick something up at a bakery today." He stood to clear the table but Rose stood also, grabbing both plates first. Jon followed her to the kitchen.

"Let me," he said as she began to rinse the plates off.

"The least I can do is help you load the dishwasher after cooking such a wonderful meal for us."

"I wanted to cook for you though," he replied, stepping behind her and laying a hand over hers.

Rose set down the dish in her hand and turned to face Jon, taking a deep breath when she found herself chest to chest with him. "What are we doing, Jon?"

He stepped back with a puzzled expression. "Having dinner?" He tried.

"I mean us. What are we? I'm not sure if we're supposed to be seeing other people, if we're dating, if we're a couple."

"Are you seeing other people?"

"No. Are you?"

"No."

"Oh."

Jon took a tentative step closer to her. "Rose, I wanted you to come over tonight because I wanted to apologize, for the masquerade ball. I feel like shit about that and I wish I could go back in time and take it back. That's not a version of me I'm proud of and I wish our history didn't start with that. I'm sorry, Rose, truly and deeply sorry."

She was quiet for a long moment before reaching for Jon's hand. "Our history can start wherever we want it to so long as we decide what we're doing here."

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

She slid her hands up his chest and went on her tiptoes, leaning in to kiss him. "Nothing would make me happier."

Jon pulled her in tighter, one hand at the back of her neck as he guided the kiss. There had been a few chaste kisses before but this, this was a first kiss.

Rose pressed into him and gave a little murmur of satisfaction as Jon deepened their kiss. "Why haven't we done this sooner?" Jon whispered against her lips.

She giggled. "Daisy told me that what happens after we have the talk is probably spectacular."

"I bet she's right."

"Should we find it?"

Rose squealed as Jon lifted her off the ground and threw her over his shoulder. "Jon!" She laughed.

"Is this too douchey? Because I don't care if it is."

"It's not; it's actually kind of sexy."

"You haven't even seen me with my shirt off though."

"I've seen the pictures."

"Oh, I can do way better than pictures. Pictures don't even do me justice."

He set Rose down just inside his bedroom and smiled at her. "I should be insulted by your cockiness," she started, "but it's actually kind of a turn on."

"You have no idea how turned on I've been all night."

"I have an idea," she replied, trailing her hand down his chest and lazily running her fingers over his cock through his jeans. Her eyes widened slightly as she did and Jon smirked.

"More impressive than you imagined?" He teased lowly, bending so his lips brushed the shell of her ear. She shivered, his breath ghosting her neck but feeling it everywhere.

"Show me," she challenged.

~*~*~


May 2013

"Hey, you're Rose, right?"

Rose looked up at the dark haired, bearded man in front of her, trying to place his name. She was positive he was one of Jon's teammates, knew she had met him more than once, but keeping the names of twenty five other guys straight was a little much at times. Finally though, it clicked.

"Brandon, right?"

He nodded. "Isn't Lennon with you?" He asked, glancing around for her in the crowded family lounge.

"She was, but she said she'd be right back."

"Oh." Rose saw the disappointment flicker in his eyes. "Did she say where she was going?"

"No, I'm sorry, she didn't."

He shrugged. "No worries," he smiled. "How are you? Captain treating you right?"

She blushed and brandon chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Things are very good, thank you."

Jon and Patrick walked in then and both made their way towards Rose and Brandon. Jon leaned in to kiss her and smiled. "Where's Len?"

"She said she'd be back in a minute."

"Did she go to see Mike?"

"She didn't say."

Jon rolled his eyes. "She went to see Mike."

"Mike Richards?" Brandon asked.

"Yeah; they've been talking since last month."

"Oh." Rose heard the disappointment in his voice and she smiled at him, reaching out to squeeze his hand. He nodded in return and Jon looked on quizzically. Rose shook her head, a universal look on her face that she would explain later.

"We're gonna go out tonight, right?" Pat asked, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"As soon as Lennon gets back," Jon answered.

"I'll wait for her; you guys can go ahead."

Jon took Rose's hand and led her down the hall and out a back entrance to his SUV.

"Alright, what was that with Bollig back there?" He asked as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"He likes Lennon," Rose replied.

"What?! No he doesn't."

"Yes he does, Jon. Trust me. I was pretty sure she liked him too until you told me she went out to LA to see Mike two weeks ago."

"I don't know what she sees in Mike anyway. He's not right for her."

"Let me guess though; Dan is.”

“He was really pissed when he saw her in LA with Mike. When he got back to the hotel he came banging at my door, asking me if I knew she was seeing him. It’s probably a good thing he wasn't playing in this series because he might have went after him. And Dan knows Mike really well; he’s definitely not good enough for Lennon if Dan doesn’t think so.”

“She picked him for a reason. If you think she’s making a mistake, then you should tell her that. As her friend, I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.”

“I doubt that. You’ve met Lennon, right? Opinionated, loud, as a mind of her own? I don’t think she'd appreciate at all if I told her she was making a mistake with Mike.”

~*~*~


Half an hour later, Jon and Rose were standing near the bar when Lennon and Pat came in. “I need a drink,” Lennon announced, taking the scotch from Jon’s hand and downing it. She walked away to the bar and ordered. When she spotted Brandon and Andrew nearby, she made her way for them, dropping a hand on Brandon’s shoulder and talking close to his ear. Rose saw him smile down at her before draping an arm across her shoulders.

“Did you know she was seeing Mike Richards?”

“Yeah.”

“How come I didn’t know?” Pat whined.

“What do you mean was?” Rose asked.

“When I finally found Len she was having words with Richards. I guess he didn’t like that she’s got better taste in hockey teams than to cheer for his so that’s it. She told him to lose her number.”

“Well at least that’s over then,” Jon commented.

Rose looked over to where Lennon was dancing with Brandon and laughing with him. “And something else might be starting,” she added under her breath.

“And how are the lovebirds?” Pat teased, stepping between Jon and Rose and steering them towards a low booth across the room.

“Fuck off, Kaner,” Jon grumbled.

“Things are great, Pat. Thank you for asking,” Rose answered him.

“He’s treating you good?”

“Very good,” she said before leaning up to kiss Jon’s cheek.

“Because you know, if you want better, I’m available.”

“Whoever told you that you were a better option lied to you,” Jon told him.

“Whatever. I am a total catch. My mom said so.”

“Your mom is the only one who thinks so.”

“I’ll meet a girl one day and everyone will be so jealous.”

“Sorry, Peeks,” Patrick Sharp said as he sat down beside him. “No one would be jealous unless you landed Lennon and we all remember how that turned out the last time you tried which is to say it ain’t ever going to happen. Rose, it is great to see you again. Abby said to tell you you can babysit again anytime you want. Maddie loves you. Apparently you weren’t so bad as a babysitter either, Toes.”

“She’s adorable, Patrick. Whenever you guys need someone, just let me know,” Rose told him.

“I’ll tell Abby,” he grinned. “You guys need another round?” The two Patrick’s made their way to the bar, leaving Jon with Rose. He pulled her in closer, tipping her head back to kiss her. She giggled into his mouth when his hand came to rest on her thigh.

“None of that, Captain,” she said moving his hand back into his own lap. “What kind of example would you be setting?”

Jon groaned. “They don’t pay me enough to keep my hands to myself when it comes to my beautiful girlfriend though.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, Toews. I took a sacred oath as a WAG.”

“Is that so? Did Abby indoctrinate you to the club?”

“She did actually,” she smiled.

Jon chuckled. “I love you.”

Rose’s eyes went wide and she pulled back from him but Jon pulled her back in quickly. “That’s not a line, Rose. I’m falling in love with you. I’m yours, however you’ll have me. So whether that means you love me too, or if you just like me, I don’t care. I love you.”

“Jon...” she whispered. “I love you too.”

“Really?” he asked in surprise.

She laughed. “Really. Now stop questioning me and kiss me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't love this chapter....I've been unhappy with it for a week now and nothing I do to it makes me any happier. So I apologize for its shortcomings. :(