Status: Completed!

And Then There Was One

Chapter 10 - Valeri Nichushkin

“I really appreciate all that you have done for me, Sergei,” Valeri Nichushkin complimented his older patron, as the two Dallas Stars sat down to dinner together. The young Russian kid often went by "Val." And he was best known for his big, innocent smile that he wore out of awkwardness of having English as a second language. He was still getting the hang of the slang and what words to say. His favorite phrase was, "Hi, I'm Val Nichushkin!"

They were at a popular, small food joint in town. It was a petite restaurant, but Sergei knew the place and the owner. He wanted to take his friend, Val, to introduce him to Dallas’ best eatery. It was a place called, “Sal’s”.

“Your English is coming along, Nichy. I’m proud of you!” Sergei Gonchar responded, flashing a small smile.

Val smiled. “Thanks.”

The waitress came around. “What’d you wanna eat?”

Val cocked his head and stared at Sergei. “What did she say?”

“She said, “what do you want to eat?”, Val?”

“Oh, um, I guess I’ll have the Russian chicken.”

“Ok, and you?” she turned to Sergei.

Sergei quickly ordered what he wanted. The waitress smiled and left.

“I think I am going to go wash my hands,” Val stated, getting to his feet. His more experienced friend nodded. Val left the table and walked to the back of the restaurant. He looked back at Sergei, before he slipped around the corner and into the men’s bathroom.

He took his phone out and tapped the screen. He saw that he had an incoming call from a blocked number. (Poor Val, don’t answer those calls!) Val didn’t understand what “blocked caller” meant, so he answered the phone.

“Hi, I’m Val Nichushkin!” Val cheerily spoke into the speaker.

A gravely voice answered him, “I’m sorry to bother you, Mr. Nichushkin, but your parents are in town. They really want to come see you. They are currently staying at a place in Evon and they really want to see you!”

(A normal person, who understands English real well would reply with, “Who are you and how do you know that?”)

But Val Nichushkin, the Russian superstar, was ignorant. He beamed largely to himself, as he exclaimed. “Okay. Send me directions!”

“Of course.”

Val heard the line go dead on the other end. He hung up as well and put his phone away. His smile burned into his face, as he returned to Sergei.

“Gons, my parents are here in the U.S. and they want to see me!”

“Val, that’s great! I hope you have fun!”

“I am so excited!” Val cried, taking his seat once more. He couldn’t think of a happier moment, then knowing that his parents were in town.

The food came out and Val and Sergei launched right in. They devoured their meals, like they hadn’t eaten in awhile.

The waitress returned toward the end, asking, “How was the meal?”

And Val looked up at her, his blue eyes shining. “It was normal!”

“It was good,” Sergei clarified, cracking a chuckle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nichy <3 (Dallas' Big Russian Kid!)