Status: Finished!

You're the Dagger in My Heart

Chapter 3 - Shootout

t was time for the shootout….

“C’mon Coach, let me attempt one of the shootout goals!”

“No, Marchy, I’m not going to allow you to go out there. Besides, you don’t like shootouts!”

“True, but I want to go out and show Tyler up! I’ve got to!”

“No! That’s final. I’ve made my choices already, Bergy, Loui, and Iggy will go out and if necessary Krej will be next in line. You are seventh on the list. You will stay here on the bench and watch. I am not letting your emotions hinder us again. You really need to check your feelings.”

Brad frowned and folded his arms. He didn’t respond or fight with his coach. He watched as Patrice skated out for the first attempt.

Brad shot a quick look to see that Jamie Benn, Tyler’s new buddy was getting ready. Jamie and Tyler were chatting with one another and laughing. They appeared to be calm and in good moods. Brad couldn’t help it, he could feel pain erupt from deep within. He felt a sharp stinging in his head, as tears formed in his eyes. He shut his eyes immediately to close out the horrible sight before him. He felt sick.

When he opened his eyes once more, Patrice was ready for his moment. the whistle blew and the grand centre seized the puck with his stick and quickly shot across the blue line to pull his best Patrick Kane shootout move to help the Bruins win.

Goal!

Patrice did a cool little shuffle step and channeled his inner Patrick Kane. His shot went through the legs of the goalie, into the net, behind the Stars’ goalie.

Brad jumped up, along with the rest of his team and cheered for his friend. He blinked the tears away and forced himself to ignore Tyler and not look at him to see his reaction. Patrice rounded the goal and flew by to fist-bump his pals.

Jamie Benn took his place. Brad shouted his disapproval and booed Jamie with the crowd. The Star forward launched forward at the whistle and took his shot. Tuukka robbed him. No goal for Jamie Benn!

Jarome Iginla was up next. No goal. (Jarome was welcomed into the bench with, “it’s okay”, “good try”, “you’ll get it next time” and etc.)

Brad turned his attention back to the ice, as Tyler Seguin skated out to center. He was oddly calm and had a stern expression on his face. He was focused. The sing-songy chant from the Garden’s crowd surged on, but it didn’t faze him.

Brad had always thought Tyler was a good shootout scorer. Certainly, Tyler wasn’t Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews or even Corey Perry (Mighty Duck), but he was more consistent at penalty shots and shootout goals than anyone else, including Brad. (Probably why Brad didn’t like shootouts much...eh?)

Tyler removed his helmet for a quick moment, as he shook his scraggly, sweat-soaked hair mop atop his head. Brad could hear the loyal Seguinistas screaming in the crowd, amongst boos and catcalls from others.

“Put your helmet back on, you old lady!” Shawn chirped from the bench, a few players across from where Brad sat next to Patrice.

Ignoring Shawn’s outcry chirp, Tyler put his headgear back on and skated around to keep his feet moving. He was focused on his mission.

As Brad watched Tyler, he hoped that the kid had begun the descent of his one-on-one goal shots. The whistle blew. Tyler launched off the spot, scooping the puck into his stick. He charged forward, pulled a fancy footwork move and slapped the puck cleanly into the net, behind Tuukka. He rounded the goal, shot Brad a wink, as he passed by the Bruins’ bench (probably attempting to get a rise out of his ex-teammates or some kind of chirp from Shawn Thornton) and fist-bumped his own teammates on the bench.

He ended by throwing his arms around Jamie Benn.

He hadn’t begun the descent.

And that was enough to stick a massive dagger into Brad Marchand’s hope (and the Bruins’ chances of winning).