Status: Four Chapters....

One Night

I Want Your Sweet Helping Hand, My Loves Too Strong To Hide

Claire moved through the halls of Consol Energy Center a week later, smiling at the security guard who nodded as she passed.

"Claire!" She turned at Alex's voice and headed towards him, hugging him tightly. "Look at you," he teased with a wide smile.

She blushed, glancing down at the black Penguins jersey. "At least he's Russian; you've always said that's what I needed in my life."

"Yes, but I meant me."

"Alex!"

He laughed. "I know; you're too good for me. You too good for the baseball player. He knows about him?"

"There wasn't really anything to know. It wasn't serious, and we weren't together."

"Malkin is?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Good."

"There you are, was looking for you," Geno said as he rounded the corner.

Claire moved towards him and stood on her tiptoes to kiss him. "Hi," she said quietly. "Good game."

"Thanks." He switched to Russian as he looked over her to Alex. "Maybe next time," he chuckled as he put his arm around Claire's shoulder and walked towards him.

"The girl, the game....do you always win?"

"I best," he grinned. His expression turned serious after a beat. "You'll watch out for her for me?"

"Of course. She's one of my best friends."

"I'm standing right here, guys," Claire spoke up. "And you have nothing to worry about," she added, squeezing Geno's hand.

"Unless she decides she likes me better," Alex told him.

"Never gonna happen. You're an ego maniac, Ovechkin," she laughed.

"That's true," he nodded with a smile. "I will see you next week, Claire. Dinner?"

"Sounds good," she replied before hugging him. As he walked away, Geno led Claire back towards the Penguins side of the building and out towards where his car was parked. He held her door and waited for her to slide inside before closing it behind her. She was clicking her seat belt into place as he climbed into the drivers seat.

The drive to his house was mostly quiet but that was okay. Neither minded the silence. It was one thing they found about their relationship that they had never experienced before. They weren't at a loss for things to talk about but not having to fill every void was nice too.

They had had every conversation one could imagine in the week that had passed. How they had gotten to these points in their lives; their families; their past relationships. There wasn't no stone left unturned between them; it had been open and honest communication. He had taken her out and she had met his teammates. More than one had told him how much they liked her for him.

What they hadn't talked about was the fact that Claire was leaving in two days. It had been a topic they had avoided, that neither wanted to face. Her suitcase in the corner of his room, half packed, was the elephant in the room.

Claire sighed as she entered Geno's bedroom. The suitcase was a flashing neon light that taunted them. She stripped down to her bra and panties as Geno watched intently.

"You should put heels back on," he told her hotly.

"Geno!"

"What?" He returned innocently.

She giggled. "Let me help you out of that suit."

He nodded enthusiastically as she approached him. Standing behind him, she slid her hands down his shoulders before easing his suit jacket off. She moved in front of him and her hands moved up his chest. Holding his stare, she undid his tie, pulling it off and letting it fall to the floor. Her fingers worked the buttons of his shirt next until his shirt hung open. Moving her hands under his shirt and to his shoulders, she eased the shirt off him.

"Have I told you how happy I am that Arthur tell Mario about you?"

She smiled. "I'm glad he thought of me."

"This is something special, me and you."

"I think so too."

"When you go back, we will be okay?" He asked, unsure of what was to come.

Claire stepped into him and wrapped her arms around his middle. "We're going to be okay," she promised. "I trust you."

"We are in this together."

"We are definitely in this together." She reached behind her and unclasped her bra and let it slide down her arms to join his clothes in the floor. "Now take me to bed," she told him.

~*~*~


A year later, Claire pulled her car into the driveway of Geno's driveway and let herself into the house. "Evgeni! I'm here!" She called out as she set her keys on their hook by the door. For a year they had been doing their relationship long distance, seeing each other as their schedules allowed, skyping when they couldn't. Now she was moving her life to Pittsburgh, starting a new career teaching English as a second language, still translating for a select few of her old clients, and moving in with Geno.

"I am in the bedroom," he yelled back.

She hurried up the stairs and paused in the door frame. "What did you do?" She asked, slowly taking in the room. It had only been two weeks since she had last been in Pittsburgh and the entire room was redone. New paint, new bed, new furniture, everything.

Geno lit one last candle, dozens scattered through the room and picked up the bouquet of flowers on the dresser. "Got you these," he grinned before kissing her.

"Thank you."

"And I got this too," he said as he opened several empty drawers on the dresser.

"My own dresser?"

"Yes, for you. I make room in the closet too."

"That's so sweet."

"I want you to feel at home."

"You are home, Geno. You didn't have to do all this."

"I wanted to, make it ours. We do other rooms too."

"Oh well in that case," she smirked.

"Got you one more thing."

"This is too much; I don't need anything else."

"Is important though." He reached into the pocket of his pants and held a glittering diamond ring out to her before he made his way down to one knee. "I never forget you, Claire, and I wonder what it would be like to have you, even for one night. And when I did, I think I never want to let you go. You are most beautiful woman and you love me and I want to make you happy forever. Will you marry me?"

"Geno," she whispered as she began to cry.

"Why are you crying?" His voice was etched with concern as he stood and hugged her.

"That was just so beautiful. I love you, so much."

"I love you too. But you don't answer question."

She laughed. "Yes, Evgeni. My answer is yes."

She squealed when he lifted her off the ground and twirled her around. When he set her down, he kissed her, long and slow. When they broke apart, he took her hand and slid the ring onto her finger.

"Perfect," he smiled.

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading y'all! I've got a few short stories written and ready so I'll be posting those a little at a time as I work on some other WIP's of mine. Up next, Jordie Benn if you're into that (which come on, defensemen, ginger, and oh so wonderfully bearded. what could be better?).