More than Just Best Friends

Chapter 3

2 weeks. 2 weeks since Nathan and Sophie ever talked, they never called. Of course they would only see each toner when they put out garbage or just hung out outside, but never did it TOGETHER anymore.

Canada day was today. Sophie was going with her mom(Sophie's sister was already married and wasn't living in Halifax anymore)
It was also garbage day which meant having to see Nathan. Sophie walked outside hoping she wouldn't see Nate, to late just as Sophie came out - Nate did too.

"Hey Sophie" Nate said

"Hi" Sophie said not making eye contact.

"Look I'm sorry about that incident two weeks ago. So I was wondering maybe you wanted to go to the parade with me?" Nathan asked.

"We'll I don't know Nate.. I guess I mean I have nothing else to do." Sophie said.

"So 6:30 good?" Nate asked

"Yeah sure and thanks" Sophie said forcing a smile.

It was the two weeks that took Nathan all the time he could take to answer one question that constantly floated in his mind
'Do you love her?' And over the two weeks, Nathan got his answer.

Nathan and Sophie walked back into their houses both with the same smile on their faces.

"Mom! I'm going with Nathan to the parade tonight ok? Can you drive us?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah sure thing sweaty!" Her mom replied

"Thanks mom love you!" She said

"Love ya too" her mom laughed.

~6:20~

Nathan was wearing his cologne and red top with some kinda beige-ish colour.

Sophie curled the end of her light brown hair. Almost dirty blonde.
She wore her nice summer red dress. She also put on her favourite perfume.

Nathan came about 5 minutes early.

"One sec!" Sophie yelled as she ran downstairs and answered the door.

"Wow you look good soph!" Nate smiled

"Don't look half bad yourself." She smiled.

"Sorry kids I can't drive you two today. It's only about a 10-15 minute walk. Be safe and have fun!" Sophie's mom said as she hugged her.

"Ok then c'mon let's go" Nathan said
Nathan and Sophie walked, Nathan with his hand in his pockets and Sophia just talking.

"You know what day yesterday was" she sniffed

"Oh Sophie I'm sorry I should've remembered I'm sorry" Nate said hugging her.

"It's ok. My father loved us all deeply and now he is up in heaven watching down on me" she cried

"Hey it's ok" Nathan cooed.

"I always imagined when I got married...my dad would be walking me down the aisle."
'Oh yeah and I always pictured it being with you' Sophie mentally thought to herself.

"Hey it's ok he will be watching" Nate said.

We walked and stayed silent and all that was going through Sophie's mind was the day at the park. It didn't mean anything right.

They both arrived and there was a little fair beside where the parade was being held. So Nate and Amanda found a spot on the grass and they watched the parade together.

"Sophie I'm sorry..about the incident 2 weeks ago. I didn't mean to yell I'm sorry" Nate apologized

"It's ok I'm sorry I was all grouchy" Sophie admitted.

They watched the rest of the parade and before they knew it....fireworks were on in 20.

"Hey come keys go on a ride!" Nate said grabbing Sophie's hand and bringing her to the Ferris wheel.

"Are you sure?" Sophie asked

"Yeah c'mon" Nate said paying for a ticket.

They waited about 10 minutes and then got inside one.

"Oh my god we are going up!" Sophie said starting to freak out. She hated heights, and Nathan knew it.

"Hey it's ok your with me" he winked
Sophie peeked at the view beside her and they stopped at the very top (for the people at the bottom to get on/off)

"Nate Nate it's too high I'm scared!!!" She squealed as Sophie as Sophie hugged Matt tight and her head maying on his chest.

"Hey it's ok" he said.

Uh oh... Sophie looked at him right in his eyes and they stared again, Sophie broke the stare by looking out again.

The ride was over and it was very dark. They both got out of the ride and headed to where the fireworks were going to start. They sat down beside each other.

"Nate look! They are starting!" Sophie said excitingly pointing.

"Oh yeah!" Nate smiled.

The first one went of red and white. Then others went off it was until this one firework went off, it looked like the shape of a ... Heart.

"Oh Nate look at that one" Sophie said as she turned her head and stared at him.

"Pretty h-" she said being cut off my Nathan kissing her. He KISSED her but she broke the kiss. It was a long kiss.

'Wow' worded Sophie

"Happy Canada day soph!" Nate forces a little laugh.

"What was that for?" Sophie asked.

"I don't even know it meant nothing just a accident I'm sorry I didn't mean that. I wasn't thinking." Nathan blushed.

"Oh yeah pshh" Sophie said sadly.

"Look I'm back with Rachel again" Nathan confessed.

"Oh you guys got back together?" Sophie said trying to NOT cry. She loved Nathan a lot and wished that the kiss maybe meant something more.

Nathan was sad he knew he screwed it all up. Their friendship. Nathan was mad at himself. He was still with Rachel and he loved her.

"Ugh well it was fun and I think I'm going to head back home" Sophie said.

"I wish I could come but Rachel is off her nightshift so she is going to meet me in a few. It was fun goodnight sophs" Nathan smiled and waved goodbye.

"Bye Nate" she said.

"I love you Nathan" Sophie mumbled, and he didn't hear her - but that was the point. Her feeling didn't matter to Nathan and he would never love Sophie the way she loved him.

Nathan eventually found his girlfriend...he walked over to her and she was madly making out with a guy.

"RACHEL?!" Nathan asked confused. Her head shot right back up to him.

"Wait no babe you see...umm look I wanted to tal-" she said

"No no no it's OVER Rachel! I knew we shouldn't of gotten back together." Nathan said as he walked away from her.

"Wait bab-"
"Goodbye RACHEL!" Nathan said not turning his attention to her. She shrugged and just kept making out with the other guy. Nathan was upset.

"Hey son!" Nathan's dad said as Nathan walked through his home.

"Hi dad" Nathan said frowning and heading to his room.

"What's wrong Nathan?" Nathan's father asked.

"We'll I kissed Sophie today and I was still with Rachel. I loved Rachel and now we aren't ... We aren't together anymore" Nathan said sadly.

"Hey it's ok I never really liked Rachel... I think she only liked you because you are a amazing hockey player and she figured that you would make the big league and she would just want you money" His dad said

"Yeah probably she was always a b***h to me" Nathan laughed.

"Wait you kissed Sophie!" His dad said as he just realized.

"Yeah but it didn't mean anything I wasn't even thinking. HECK I didn't even know what I WAS DOING!" Nathan said

"Oh ok... Well I know I wasn't any help." He jokes as he left the room.

Nathan was lost and didn't know what to do... He was just going to play cool and pretend it didn't happen. This kiss didn't mean anything...right?

Sophie was sad... She didn't know Nathan broken up with Rachel (because she left when he did). She always loved Nathan.

"It was just a stupid mistake Sophie ... Don't start thinking it meant anything to him" she started thinking. But she knew they would never work out. Nathan was amazing at hockey and no doubt he would get drafted so that mean we would split up. It just can't work.