Love Sick

Ten

Justin's Point of View
I hear the landing gear of the jet and the pain settles into my stomach as I look out into the dark night. It's time. Time to break up, once and for all, with Selena. No going back.
I remember the scene in the hospital hallway. She'd told me to call her whenever I had the chance. Well, now's my chance. I give a weary smile to Mom and let her step off the aircraft first. I dial Selena's number, my finger hovering over the call button. Am I seriously going through with this? Maybe she can change. Maybe there is hope for us. I wince at the thought of saying goodbye as I press the call button and put the phone to my ear. If someone asked me to identify which months she and I were on a break and when we were full-fledged dating, I honestly wouldn't be able to answer. My mind is jumbled with possible things to tell her and when she answers, the pain hits once more. To keep myself from backing down, I replay the scene in the hallway and begin to talk.
"Hey, Selena."
"You never call me that; only 'Sel'. What's the matter?"
"Well, I've actually been thinking and I don't believe it's a good idea for us to be together anymore."
A painful silence follows. "Okay. Long distance relationships have worked before. We'll work through this."
"No, Selena. Not long distance. I'm ending it between us. For good. This has been going on for too long and to be one hundred percent honest with you, my heart is worn out from being thrown into reverse by getting back together and breaking up repeatedly. This is not going to work out between us. I just needed to tell you goodbye and explain that I just can't see a time where we'll make it work in the long run. I'm sorry."
I hang up without hearing a response and lean my head back on the leather seat. I sigh as I feel a hand hold mine. I look up to see my mom's kind eyes staring back at me. I try to fake a smile and then gaze out the car window. I feel my phone vibrate in my hands multiple times. I have four new messages. Ryan asking when we can hang out. Scooter asking if I am interested in attending Fashion Week in New York City. Janet hoping my flight landed safely. Selena asking if we can still be friends. I reply to the first three messages and stop at Selena's. I soon reply with the words 'No, because we always end up dating again. I'm sorry.'

Janet's Point of View
A few weeks after Justin left for Los Angeles, word on the street had been that he went to New York City to attend Fashion Week. I am now asleep in my own bed in my own house and without warning, my family piles into my room as Jonathan grabs the remote. "What's going on?" I ask groggily, sitting up.
"Your boyfriend is on TV." Judah answers, scrolling through the channel guide.
"What?" I ask, confused. The channel turns to the fashion show, where Justin stands in jeans and a black tank top under a blue blazer that suited him quite well. He is announcing the singer Rita Ora, pushing through the booing that surrounds him as he stand beside a tall model. The booing ceases as he fiercely removes his blazer, then his shoes and jeans, then his shirt. He stands in his Calvin Klein underwear, as everyone seems at a loss for words. His body is tatted and toned. He strikes his best model pose and then laughs at himself, then tries his serious pose again.
My dad raises his eyebrows. My brothers seem to scoff and roll their eyes. My older sister tries to hide a smile and my younger sister turns away just in case he removers his undergarments, too. I, though, am glued to the screen, unable to hold back a smirk. I think of Hazel's line as she drove Augustus to her house after being invited to his home to have dinner and watch a movie: "He really was beautiful. I know boys aren't supposed to be, but he was." Same, Hazel, same. I think as the show cuts off for a break. "Wow." I whisper. I feel my dad and brothers look at me askew as I bite my tongue, not wanting to take back my comment of approval. I log onto Twitter to see all the beliebers are quite happy. That isn't very surprising. Judah shuts off the TV ad kisses my forehead goodnight. Jonathan and my dad follow and my sisters are the last ones to leave my room. I scroll through my Twitter feed for a few minutes before falling into sleep.
I wake up to my phone ringing. It's Justin. I smile and put the phone to my ear. "Good morning."
"Janet Maria, I hope I didn't wake you."
"Um, you sort of did, but you're forgiven."
"Sorry about that. I was just wondering about your opinion so far on The Fault in Our Stars."
"I really love it. Augustus Waters has me giggling like a schoolgirl. Although I really want to read An Imperial Affliction." This was Hazel's favorite book and it ended mid-sentence.
"Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but I've actually looked into that."
"And?"
"And author John Green has yet to say if it's a real novel or if it's a book he just made up for the story. Although, in my opinion, it seems quite crude and impertinent than an author would have the audacity to hook his readers, only to stop their adventure short and never give them an sequel."
"Impertinent, huh?"
"Impertinent- uncivil and impolite." He explains, sounding sophisticated.
"And why did you choose that word?"
"If Augustus can take existentially fraught free throws, then I can use the word 'impertinent'."
"And you wouldn't be trying to impress anyone, would you?"
"I would, in fact."
"Is Augustus's favorite book fake, as well?"
"The Price of Dawn? I assume so." He seems to have a sigh of disappointment in his deep voice, which, to quote TFiOS, was 'low, smoky and dead sexy'.
"But the video game seems like one you'd enjoy."
"Very true, Janet Maria. Good observation."
"Why do you call me Janet Maria?"
"Why not? It is your name, isn't it?"
"Yes."
"When can I see you again?"
"I dunno. I liked your appearance at Fashion Week."
"Oh, you saw that?"
"I certainly did."
"Did you like it?" He sounds nervous.
"I'd wouldn't mind seeing it again." I said in my most flirtatious tone.
"There are tons of pictures and gifs of it on twitter. Knock yourself out." He countered quickly, pausing to laugh.
"Well, thank you for waking me up, but I should be getting ready for the day. I hope you call again."
"Oh, you can be certain of it."
♠ ♠ ♠
TFiOS - The Fault in Our Stars