Love Sick

Fourteen

"Hey, you." I wake up to see Cameron hovering over me. He smiles, standing next to my bed, holding something behind his back.
I struggle to sit up. "How long did I sleep?"
"Twenty-one hours." He sounds impressed, stiffing out a laugh. "It's two in the morning. Are you hungry?"
"Yes and no."
"Come again?" He questions, obviously confused.
"Like you said, it's two in the morning. Normal people aren't up at this hour."
"McDonald's is open twenty-four hours." He leans down and pulls up a large bag. "Which is how I was able to get you iced coffee and French toast sticks at 2AM."
He laughs as I grab for the bag of food.
"Listen, I actually came here for a reason more important than food."
"What could be more important than food?" I chuckle.
"You." He whispers and I stop chewing to look squarely at him.
"What are you-"
"Date me, Janet." He blurts.
"What?"
"Go out with me. We've been best friends for a few years. I know everything about you, so why not get out of this friendzone we seem to be stuck in? I have feelings for you and it hurts to see you going through these treatments alone."
"I'm not alone."
"You know what I mean." He takes my free hand, which is wet and cold from the condensation of the iced coffee cup. "What do you say? Will you go out with me?"
I smile wide and nod quickly. "Yes."
"Great." He breathes and kisses my cheek.
"You should be getting home. It's early. You have classes."
"Goodnight."
"Night."
I lay back down and listen to my heart monitor speed up to keep the pace of my own heartbeat. I smile, knowing the reason it races.
"How sweet." I gasp and sit up in the bed. The voice continues. "Just so you know, he watched you sleep for an hour before waking you." Justin's voice is hidden in the darkness. I peer around the room for the face that matches the voice. I turn on the bedside lamp and see him seated in a chair, staring out into the darkness through the window.
"Justin, what the- How long were you here?"
"To be honest with you, I should have left before that whole scene." He stands. "That wasn't very romantic, in my opinion."
"We're just starting out. There's still time for romance."
"Using your terminal illness as a way to ask you out? That's the lowest of the low." He pushes through, having no regard for my emotions.
"Like you could have asked it in a way that's any better."
"I guess we'll never find out, will we?"
He walks out of the room, leaving me speechless.
Two boys are vying for my heart; a heart supporting a body with cancer; a heart that may not even be beating by the time the sun rises.