Love Sick

Three

Justin's Point of View
The doctor told us Janet has a heart condition, but that that wasn't the worst of the news. There was another, much more serious diagnosis waiting to be told. Her father sits down and grasps Julia's hand.
The doctor takes a deep breath as if waiting for the right moment. I tap my foot against the tile floor. Come on. Don't make us -them wait any longer.
"Mr. Michaels, I'm sorry to tell you that we found a tumor in Janet's body. It tested positive for cancer."
Julia gasps and looks as if she may faint. I look at Janet. Her expression is unreadable. She doesn't look upset or angry, just confused. Perhaps she's in shock. I am torn between giving the family time and space to settle into the news and staying with Janet at her request. I kiss her hand and quietly leave the room.
Back in the waiting room, I tell Mom, Fredo and Moshe the update. Mom gasps and Fredo droops his head. I sit in a chair away from the window and try to think happy thoughts, but the thoughts just can't break through the unbearable truth that another one of my Beliebers has some form of cancer. Losing sweet Avalanna almost killed me. One thing was for certain: If her family would allow it, I was going to do everything I could to make Janet feel as normal as possible and keep her morale up.

Janet's Point of View
Dad is on the phone, attempting to tell the news to my other siblings through muffled sobs. Julia holds my hand as my mind tries to understand the meaning of what had just happened. I have cancer. And I also have so many questions. What type of cancer do I have? Is this type of cancer curable? What are my treatment options? Will I be assigned a specific doctor? But the most important question I have is this: What is the chance of my survival?
I ask my father and sister to have Justin and Pattie keep me company. I feel like walking on eggshells as I don't want to insult them when asking them to leave. But they don't seem to take offense and the door closes behind them. Before Justin left, he'd put my phone on the blanket beside me. I quickly find my favorite music video of Justin's. I turn it to the highest volume I can handle and close my eyes, slowly allowing myself to relax.

...

Let the music blast
We gon' do our dance
Bring the doubters on
They don't matter at all
Cause this life's too long
And this love's too strong
So, baby, know for sure
That I'll never let you go

So don't fear
Don't you worry about a thing
I am here
Don't shed a tear
Whenever you need me
I'll be here

I hear the door creak open and I faintly smile as Pattie and Justin walk in. Pattie's beautiful frame stands at the side of my bed as Justin stands slightly behind her.
"How are you?" Pattie asks quietly.
"I'm okay." I say. Considering the surrounding situation, I think 'okay' is a very suitable response.
"Justin tells me you're a Belieber." She smiles, as if to thank me.
I break into a smile and nod. Justin walks to the other side of my bed. "When I was looking through your contacts to call your dad, I found your mother's contact, too. Does she know you're here already?"
My eyes cloud with tears as memories of that day flood back.
♠ ♠ ♠
To my readers: I honestly cannot thank you enough for taking the time to read my story. I hope you enjoy reading it just as much as I enjoy writing it each week.