Love Sick

Four

Justin's Point of View
I had just asked Janet whether or not her mother knew she was in the hospital, but her expression goes stone cold and she's silent, staring at the space of wall below the television. I glance at my mom and she looks back at me. I knew in this situation, the best thing to do is let Janet find her voice and she'll talk if or when she finds it convenient. I check Twitter and find that somewhere along the line, a photo was snapped of me walking into the hospital. So, as is usually the case, one photo spread like digital wildfire across the web, causing unaccredited information to be released from some "source close to me". If I have any time off, I really need to schedule a meeting with these unidentified sources that seem to be joined at my hip. Sounds like an interesting conversation. My mentions are filled with fans going crazy trying to decipher my reason for being there.

I heard his car broke down and somebody smashed into it. Hope he's not hurt.

My baby may be injured and he didn't even bother to tell us. Slightly upset at him right now, but still hoping he recovers soon!

Maybe we'll get hospital selfies like we did the last time! Fingers crossed! Get well soon!

Then there were the indecent comments:
I don't care why Beiber's stuck in the hospital; the point is the longer he's there, the more time he's away from the recording studio. Finally!

Maybe he'll be too hurt to ever perform again. Oh, glory!

I tweet two simple messages to my concerned, rather paranoid, fans.

All is well. Just visiting a sick belieber in the hospital.
Please don't believe everything you read.

Janet hadn't moved since I asked her about her mother, so I had assumed she had fallen asleep. But suddenly, she speaks slowly almost monotone. "I was thirteen and Julia was eleven. My mom was with her brother and they were driving over train tracks when her car stalled. It was an old car and she got out to try to push it off the tracks when a train whistle blew. It was the car she'd been given on her twenty-first birthday and she never could bring herself to get rid of it. My uncle Kade says that, at the last minute, Mom looked at him and yelled 'Mark and the kids are more important.' and started to walk to where he stood. She wasn't quick enough, though. The train hit the front of the car, causing the back end to slam against the side of the train, crushing her instantly." A tear falls down her face as Mom and I sit in silent horror. "I never even got to say goodbye to the woman who gave me life."
I hear my own mother's voice in a whisper. "I'm so sorry, Janet."
"I swore that if I ever needed a way to end my life, a train would be my way out."
"What was your mother's name?" I ask gently, unsure whether to skip over the life-threatening comment.
"Jasmine Daisy. Do you want to see a picture?" Janet asks, pulling out her wallet. I nod silently.
Mrs. Michaels had short brown hair framing her round face. Her pale skin complemented her green eyes and her bright white teeth. A small freckle graced her right cheekbone and an almost unnoticeable scar peeked out from under her chin. I can see the resemblance to Janet, but she looks more like her father. She has long brown hair and blueish-green eyes. No blemishes, scars or freckles in sight. Don't misunderstand- her mother was beautiful, but Janet looks... perfect, especially for someone who had been stuck in the hospital for almost five hours, which makes me wonder if she's hungry. She nods and there is a knock on the door. Julia and Mr. Michaels enter holding a plastic container of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a bag of potato chips and a bottle of water. Janet smiles for the first time in half an hour and takes the meal gratefully.
"Janet, if you wanted to meet anyone in the world, who would it be?" I wonder.
"Well, I've already met you." She smiles. "Probably Ryan Butler or Demi Lovato."
"Alright, why Ryan?" I question with a smile.
"Oh, I've had a crush on him and you since the 'One Time' video was released and-" She stops and ducks her head, suddenly overcome with shyness.
"Okay." I laugh. "I bet we can arrange for Butsy to come down here to visit with you."