Love Sick

Eight

Justin's Point of View
I walk back into Janet's room quietly. "Was it her?" She asks.
I nod and stare at the floor. "She thought I was the patient."
"I'm sorry." She sits next to me, suddenly hurting for me instead of herself. "You still love her, huh?"
"I can't stop. I don't want to love her, but I don't know how to stop."
She's quiet for a long moment. I look up at her and see her jaw tightened. I'm not sure if she's mad at me or just struggling to come up with something to say. Soon, the silence is broken by the television. I look up to see a video of Selena leaving the hospital in a hurry, making good use of her large handbag by shielding her face from the cameras. They hound her with questions about me, asking if I'm okay and when I'll be released from the hospital. While still walking, she answers them. "He's not the patient. It's some girl who has cancer and he decided to pay her a visit. One of his fans who's in a bad mood today; I don't know. Please get away from my car. I'm late for a meeting."
I clench my fist. She lied to me. She said she had stopped listening after she knew I was safe. My mind was immersed in a battle over Selena once again:

She told me she's happy I'm okay.

But she lied to you about listening to what you had to say and you know she was just saying that to bring the conversation to a close.

But she... I love her.

Well, obviously she doesn't love you.

She wasn't lying about her meeting. That has to count for something, right?

Justin, you are missing the point. She lied to you, she didn't apologize to the nurse for being wrong and she left once she knew it was your fan instead of you. The Selena you knew and loved three years ago wouldn't have done that. And you know it. You're holding onto a part of her that no longer exists.

I put my head in my hands and slouch in the chair. I need to get over this girl. She's beautiful, but for years I've been blinded. She's not the sweet girl I fell for and never was it more obvious than in the scene in the hallway today. I leave the room quickly, feeling my throat tighten with tears.

Janet's Point of View
Justin leaves the room in a hurry as Jacqueline apologizes for turning on the TV. Justin quickly waves her off and continues out the door. I fiddle with my fingers, wondering what he's thinking. I want out of this place- this room, this building, this city. How long do I have to stay here? The same nurse that had argued with Selena informs me that there is a boy here named Cameron waiting to see me. My heart jumps. Cameron had been my crush for months and I am overjoyed that he made the trip to visit me. I tell her he's free to come in. His eyes brighten when he sees me and my face sports a smile- my first one today. He sits in the chair next to me and asks me how I've been. My smile fades as I tell him about the diagnosis of cancer. He hesitates for a moment before gently taking a hold of my hand. "I'm here for you; whatever you need. When do you get to come back to Virginia?"
"Not sure. Doctors haven't told me that yet." I lean my head back on the chair and sigh. "I want to go home. I want to sleep in my own bed. I want to drive to the mall to shop with friends. I just want to get out of here."
Justin comes back into the room and shakes hands with Cameron. Justin sits by the window and chats with Jacqueline until Pattie calls his cell to tell him it's time to head back to the hotel. Cameron seems unfazed by the presence of the superstar making my acquaintance as Justin leaves a friendly kiss on my cheek and promises to return soon.

Justin's Point of View
As I make my way to the parking garage, I think about what I had just seen. I had walked back into Janet's room and saw a guy sitting there next to her. He couldn't have been older than seventeen. He said his name was Cameron and that he was a good friend of Janet's. I wonder how long he's known her and whether he has feelings for her. They looked to be in the awkward stage of their friendship - more than friends, but less than a couple. As I stop at a red light, I think about why I am so frazzled about this guy. After all, I still have to end my own relationship.